Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The strategy of bringing players up here on the cheap and selling them on to some no-mark English Championship/League 1 side is much more palatable than doing any sort of business with those absolute charlatans in Govan.

In truth the whole link with Moult (and Heneghan) has seemed more about us exploiting a passing interest to talk up our players in the press than anything concrete. This time last year McGhee had been hammering how great Johnson was to the press at every opportunity. Robinson doesn't really seem to have enough of a brass neck to compare Moult to Lewandowski or claim Heneghan's the next Maldini.

Edited by capt_oats

Once living and playing here, the players brought up from the English lower leagues realise the size of Rangers and what they could pay without necessarily taking in everything else that comes with them. Unfortunately in those circumstances they could become an attractive proposition - Nicky Law was even prepared to drop down the divisions. 

Of course they still have to pay the money if the player is under contract. 

Hope that is true in that the Bluenoses have no interest in Moult.

I am not saying they were all in favour of spending £1.8m on Garner, but Moult would have p1ssed all over his stats had he played with them last season. 

Anything less than £1m is a bargain for Moult, but I hope if he does go he goes south. With our defence he would have scored minimum 2 against us in any game.

2 hours ago, leefy118 said:

YASSSSSSSSSSemoji322.pngemoji323.pngemoji322.pngemoji837.pngemoji836.pngemoji837.pngemoji836.pngemoji837.pngemoji836.pngemoji837.pngemoji836.pngemoji837.png

hiya

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Hope that is true in that the Bluenoses have no interest in Moult.

I am not saying they were all in favour of spending £1.8m on Garner, but Moult would have p1ssed all over his stats had he played with them last season. 

Anything less than £1m is a bargain for Moult, but I hope if he does go he goes south. With our defence he would have scored minimum 2 against us in any game.

I think folk are dreaming if they think we will get £1m for Moult.

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think folk are dreaming if they think we will get £1m for Moult.

Pretty much. I'd have thought we'd be pitching him to Championship/League 1 sides for £500k-£600k + a decent sell on (pretty much what we ended up with for Johnson). That sort of fee isn't exactly going to make clubs in England baulk and assuming it's the right *sort* of club ie: one who'll give him a decent platform, look to develop him and sell on further then it'd suit all parties. 
He's a smashing player and I think he's improved his all-round game dramatically since he's been at Fir Park but he doesn't really have the pace or the physical side to his game to justify £1m+ at the moment, especially with only 1 year left on his deal.

51 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I understand all the points made, mainly due to his contract he'll probably leave for 500K and a decent sell on/achievement structured bonuses.

Which is still great business. Paid a nominal fee, got 36 goals out of him and get half a million back for it?

Yes please.

Just now, thisGRAEME said:

Which is still great business. Paid a nominal fee, got 36 goals out of him and get half a million back for it?

Yes please.

oh yes!

Which is entirely acceptable.

We paid what, about 50-60k for Moult and Johnson combined? If/when Moult leaves this summer and you add what he goes for to what we got for Marv, plus the sell on we get when Oxford sell him on possibly also this summer, you're talking in excess of a million pound in return. Over 20 times what we paid for the pair of them, it's excellent business really.

Whilst our recruitment policy has taken a bit of a kicking in recent season, rightly so as well, we've actually done quite well with the players we've scouted and paid nominal fee's for with Bowman being the only real flop so far. 

EDIT - Graeme kind of beat me to it but aye, cracking business by the club.

Edited by Casagolda

17 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Yes please.

When I heard about the idea of paying fees and then selling them on, my expectation was never that we'd be raking in millions - more that we get a slightly better standard of player than our competitors who were only looking at the "free" market (and Johnson and Moult definitely fit that description) - and then make enough in transfer fees to sustain that approach, so that we can absorb a "bowman" or two without losing money overall. On that measure, the policy is already a success - but that is all we should be aiming to do, we should never rely on these transfer fees for the operation of the club as they are not predictable or "budgetable". If we do get the occasional very big fee, then that should be paying our debt off early... 

I am not bothered by this in the slightest.

Sure, he was fantastic at times. but he's had about 4 good games in the last two years. Complete waste of a wage and I think we would have offered him a massive wage reduction which Argyle would have blew out the water.

Good luck Lionel, we'll always have great memories created when needed and a fantastic youtube video yer agent can stick up.

Edited by Busta Nut