Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'd take him on a 'TV Games only' deal. Like those lads on the wrestling that turn up once every 2 months for the money day.

Ahhh the old Ged Brannan contract!

44 minutes ago, Al B said:

Ahhh the old Ged Brannan contract!

Absolutely, lets just embrace it and go with it. Every game we're on the telly, just tell Cadden to take a lap and start Ainsworth.

Every TV goal he scores, he quadruples his basic wage for the week.

4 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I seen someone on Steelmen Online ranting about the number of injuries we've had this season. I would probably say we've had no more injuries than anyone else in the league. We just happened to have injuries/suspensions to our entire first choice back 4 at the same time. 

There's a staggering lack of perspective when you get folk ranting about that sort of stuff, I suppose it's one of the problems with club specific forums. Many of the users suffer from tunnel vision when it comes to their clubs. Thistle have missed Cerny, Scully, Dumbuya, Welsh, Lawless & Bannigan (thought they probably knew his situation when they gave him that extension) out for chunks of the season I'm sure you could go through every side and highlight injuries.

The other aspect is the nature of the injuries. Moult, McManus & Tait have all needed operations, McHugh's head exploded and ended up with a delayed concussion. MacLean broke a toe and dislocated a shoulder (in separate incidents), Kennedy picked up some illness that resulted in him coming back to the club emaciated. I'm not entirely sure what folk expect the club to do to prevent these sort of injuries, if it was folk continually out with pulls and strains then there'd be an argument there but it's not.

I've suspected Kennedy has been away for a while, he was left out of a squad photo about 2 months back and took a trip down south which we were told was for an injury but I reckon it was signing talks for AFC Fylde, no doubt another McGhee decision along with decision to let Laing go despite our shambolic defense this season.

That's it official now. http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/03/23/kieran-kennedy-statement/

It was pretty clear to everyone he'd be gone in the summer so I suppose if Fylde were offering him terms and games then we'd be unlikely to stand in his way. The fact that the statement points out he asked to leave seems relevant, I take it that means we wouldn't have had to settle his contract?

The last mention I can find of him kicking a ball is back in November for the u20s against Dundee. It'll be interesting to see if he plays at the weekend, I'd imagine he'll have passed a medical and that.

The timing seems a bit weird given the defensive issues we've been having though.

Edited by capt_oats

I'd guess some folk are looking at it with the view that he (like Laing) was somehow forced/frozen out by McGhee and are desperate to be raging about it. The timing doesn't look great given our defensive injury 'crisis' over the past few weeks. If he's fit there's probably a question as to whether he's a better option at centre half than Heneghan or Ferguson or as cover at right back ahead of McMillan or Ferguson.

The way I see it is Kennedy literally hasn't kicked a ball for the first team this season. He's clearly seen the writing on the wall and asked to leave. AFC Fylde have offered him terms and games, Motherwell have decided they're as well getting him off the wage bill as he'll a) be leaving at the end of the season & b) is unlikely to be contributing to the first team between now and the end of the season.

He's not playing, won't be getting his contract renewed, another club is willing to take him on and give him games. We'd have to be pretty unreasonable to stand in his way.

Even if there's been a nominal pay off of his contract it'll probably be cheaper for them than paying him his full wage until the end of the season.

Some of our fans just love to be outraged, its like they go out of their way to find reasons to be angry with the club.

Surely that's the only reason why you'd get upset over the club releasing a guy that hasn't kicked a ball for us in over 10 months and when he did was generally a bit of a bomb scare. Sums Kennedy up that the best game I seen him have for us was the 2-1 win over Aberdeen last season and even in that game he gave away a penalty and was fortunate not to be sent off. 

At least this can't come back to bite us, unlike releasing Laing so he could join one of our relegation rivals. Don't get me wrong, wasn't a massive fan of his either like but he'd still be an improvement on Ferguson at right back or Jules at centre half. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing and McGhee couldn't possibly have seen McManus and Tait's injuries coming but releasing a reasonably experienced and versatile defender and replacing him with an inexperienced, teenager on loan from down south who's looked out his depth thus far isn't looking like one of his better decisions.

Edited by Casagolda

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Some of our fans just love to be outraged, its like they go out of their way to find reasons to be angry with the club.

Surely that's the only reason why you'd get upset over the club releasing a guy that hasn't kicked a ball for us in over 10 months and when he did was generally a bit of a bomb scare.

I think that's pretty much how it stacks up. There are a few other strands though, given the club have been as clear and vocal with their business model, "strategy" (call it what you want) of signing players with a view to developing them and selling on for profit then there seems to be a genuine sense that for some sections of our support if we're bringing a player in and he leaves with us not having a £1m fee in return then people are raging.

You tie that in with the whole "it's an outrage that players get injured, the club has to be held account" and it's all a bit draining tbh.

Ultimately we brought in a young player with a decent CV as far as clubs go, his games with us were literally his first senior matches as a pro. For various reasons it didn't work out be it our former manager possibly didn't think he was good enough, he turned up after the summer looking like Christian Bale in The Machinist or his hips have fallen to pieces. It seems kind of weird to me that people would actually be getting actively wound up about us releasing a, let's be honest, fairly limited player player who we didn't pay a fee for, is out of contract in the summer, has no resale value and is moving to the 6th tier of English football to get some games where the net result is us getting a player off the wage bill for the rest of the season.

Really our only investment in Kennedy, as far as I can see, has been his wages which would have been part of a budget we'd have set out anyway. By all means you can factor it in to a broader conversation about the relative success of our recruitment strategy but that's pretty much it IMO.