Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Looking at those we've released and their relative squad roles then you'd think that, regardless of who extends their deals, we're looking at bringing in at least the following;

1x GK

2x CM

1x ST

plus (hopefully) a full back.

See we're being linked with a loan move for Michael Duffy from Celtic. He's a a winger and was on loan at Alloa last season. Ross County also interested apparently.

Yeah, I saw that. Seems odd given that with Ainsworth, Johnson, Thomas and Cadden all contracted and able to play wide a winger is one of the few areas we don't need an extra body and seeing as our whole 'strategy' is supposedly bringing through our own youth players why bring in a player on loan from another Premiership club.

Edit: It'd hardly be an incentive for the likes of MacLean to sign the extension we've offered if we're out loaning in players from Celtic.

Edited by capt_oats

I see we're trying to retain Lasley, Hammell and McFadden(!) In the cases of Las and Hammell I can see why we're doing so as despite their advancing years we still struggle badly without them in the side, worrying as that is. I would hope though that we will be actively actively seeking to replace both in the side though and have both playing slightly lesser roles in the coming season as we simply cannot rely on a 34 and a 37 year old to drag us through another campaign.

The fact though that we are trying to persuade Faddy to sign a new deal is highly worrying though. The need to move away from this backward looking, short sighted policy of signing popular ex players and trying to keep hold of McFadden just takes the biscuit. We need to let go of the past and stop pandering to his misty eyed fanboys who seem to love him more than the club itself as we are talking about a 33 year old crock with his best days long gone and the only reason I can see for us having him at the club is because he is who he is and half the support have a hard on for him.

It's time to look forward,not back and personally, the only players I would be offering a new contract to is Scott McDonald and Bell Hall.

Edited by MJC

I have no interest in seeing us loan in old firm players, we are supposed to be bringing on our own youth not Celtic's. Ross County can have him.

This for me.  Loan deals from clubs down south can work, espeically when the player is at a better level than what we can afford elsewhere. 

This guy played with a relegated Alloa this season, and I had never heard of him until he got in the papers for scoring at Ibrox/refusing to clap in the guard of honour.  No thank you. 

A goalkeeper, full back, central midfielder and striker and the four essentials I'd say.  That's assuming the ones offered contracts all sign.

I see we're trying to retain Lasley, Hammell and McFadden(!) In the cases of Las and Hammell I can see why we're doing so as despite their advancing years we still struggle badly without them in the side, worrying as that is. I would hope though that we will be actively actively seeking to replace both in the side though and have both playing slightly lesser roles in the coming season as we simply cannot rely on a 34 and a 37 year old to drag us through another campaign.

The fact though that we are trying to persuade Faddy to sign a new deal is highly worrying though. The need to move away from this backward looking, short sighted policy of signing popular ex players and trying to keep hold of McFadden just takes the biscuit. We need to let go of the last and stop pandering to his misty eyed fanboys who seem to love him more than the club itself as we are talking about a 33 year old crock with his best days long gone and the only reason I can see for us having him at the club is because he is who he is and half the support have a hard on for him.

It's time to look forward,not back and personally, the only player I would be offering a new contract to is Scott McDonald.

Just wait until the return of Nicky Law rumours start... :whistle

Just wait until the return of Nicky Law rumours start... :whistle

Wouldn't surprise me. Former players and their agents will be well aware of our policy of retracing footsteps so if they are looking for a club then I've no doubt they'll be only too happy to make us aware of their availability.

Nicky Law would be out of wage structure thankfully, he has gone backwards as a player in his few years at Rangers.  Last i heard Sheffield utd were in for him.

Well its now the off season and we will get linked to everyone and their granny, its quite exciting but also rather frustrating at some of the names being linked, like the winger from Celtic for example, the sun probably using that coz we just got humped off them on sunday and McGhee being an ex Celtic player.

I'm inclined to agree as a general point about the fact that we need to move away from the backward looking aspect when it comes to McFadden and the fact he's currently injured it seems a bit tokenist in a "do the right thing" sense.

However to play devil's advocate I can understand the club's thinking in a practical sense. Assuming his deal isn't costing much and given he's injured I can't imagine he's got a stack of offers waiting for him then if we're looking for experienced cover for McDonald (assuming he stays) then I can imagine that McFadden would offer a bit more in a general sense than the level of alternative we'd get on the same money who has no affiliation with the club.

All the criticisms of why it's something we should be moving away from that sort of offer are totally valid and there's still a definite question of how much he would actually play however at the very least I can see why they club would make him the offer first before exploring other avenues.

Edited by capt_oats

Was speaking to a couple of Dundee Fans they seem to reckon that we are after Thomas Konrad the German Centre back that they have just released, don't really think we need a centre back though?

And the daily record also reckon that us and hearts are after Miles Storey!

Edited by MFC97

Mark McGhee?  German Centre-back?  It couldn't, could it?

giphy.gif

Could it be that we are finally going to reap the benefits of his German contacts eight years on???

This guy played with a relegated Alloa this season, and I had never heard of him until he got in the papers for scoring at Ibrox/refusing to clap in the guard of honour.  No thank you. 

Sign him immediately.

I've got to say, I hate the idea of signing loanees from teams that compete in the same league against us. We're either getting someones old cast-offs, or we're getting used as guinea-pig to see if their lad can cut it at our level. It stunts the growth of our youngsters and has no long-term value to our Football Club. Taking a loanee from down South helps to a certain extent, sometimes providing us with a bit of quality that we might not usually be in the position to afford, but its still incredibly short-termist unless we think we can sign them permanently.

On our loanees from our own division, have any of them ever been a success?

Kevin McBride - his loan spell was a success for him, as the useless wee, injury-prone shitebag managed to pull the wool over our eyes long enough for us to believe that he wasnt an injury-prone wee shitebag and give him a permanent deal, which proved to be a mistake

Cillian Sheridan - just wasnt very good and managed to get 2 goals in 13 games for us

Callum Elliott - fucking shite footballer, who was shite with Hearts and obviously shite with us too, no idea what Malpas thought when he signed him...although it was true to form with that w****r Malpas

Morgaro Gomis - more Hearts dung, thrown our way. A panic signing by McGhee to attempt to beef up our squad when the Grimshaw transfer fell through, and hardly contributed anything positive.

Have we ever loaned anyone from our league that could even be described as being 'OK' while with us?