Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

In fairness to Hall if it's the case, as seems to be the rumour doing the rounds, that he's simply asking for parity in wages with Kennedy and Laing (the two players he's keeping out the team) then his position is understandable to a point though I suppose it depends just how much there's a disparity and how much he/his agent are digging their heels in. It's difficult not to feel he'd do well to consider the bigger picture though. Having said that it's hardly outrageous for him to have his agent see what his options are and make a decision based on that.

When it comes down to it he's still only a 19 year old who's made 19 appearances this season and until the Hearts game at the end of November he was nowhere near our first team. For all he's had a solid enough debut season and he's shown up well, he's not broken through in a way that would warrant hype in the same way that say Tierney has at Celtic or even Erwin did for us last season. In fact I'd say that Cadden has probably made more of a tangible and positive impact on our side than Hall has and truth be told I'm much more ambivalent about the thought of Hall moving on than I would be Cadden.

Ultimately if Hall wants to stay then great, if his agent can get him a deal down south that matches what he's after (as seems to be the suggestion) then fine. It'd be a boot in the baws given the whole youth development angle the club have been pushing however at the same time it's something that if he moves on because we can't match his expectations then it's something that we'll probably have to get used to. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

I wonder if Motherwell (or any other Prem club looking for a left back) would be interested in our ex player Aaron Taylor- Sinclair, who’s had a fairly poor 2 years in England, first year played one game in the league cup with Wigan, season just finished relegated with Doncaster- he might still fancy another crack at it down South but if he was coming up the road then I’d imagine he’ll be well sought after despite the last 2 years.

I wonder if Motherwell (or any other Prem club looking for a left back) would be interested in our ex player Aaron Taylor- Sinclair, who’s had a fairly poor 2 years in England, first year played one game in the league cup with Wigan, season just finished relegated with Doncaster- he might still fancy another crack at it down South but if he was coming up the road then I’d imagine he’ll be well sought after despite the last 2 years.

I actually watched a Doncaster game vs Burton I think and thought we might be interested. He does have another year to run at Donny though so I don't imagine we'd pay a fee for him.

Would agree with Yassin.  I think he'd certainly be a good signing, if he were looking to come back to Scotland.

It would also be great from my point of view.  There would be at least half a dozen attempts of his name on Steelmen Online.  Think of the struggle they had with Chris Humphrey for years. 

ATS is definitely the type of full back I'd imagine McGhee will be looking at. Decent going forward and athletic- is he not about 6'4?

Whether we could get him or not is another story though.

Quick check on Doncaster forum suggests that ATS has done his ACL and is out until January. To say the fans don't seem to have taken to him at Doncaster would be an understatement. http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=7197a080e516f3e2f9f03cbe92f425b6&topic=257520.0

That said, there doesn't seem to be any confirmation of the injury in their local press.

That'll be the squad update announced. No real surprises, other than Brett Long being released there's not a lot we didn't already know. http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2016/05/16/squad-update-may-2016/

The following players (both first-team and Under 20s) are in discussions with the club with a view to extending their deals:

Stevie Hammell

Stephen McManus

Craig Samson

Keith Lasley

Craig Moore

James McFadden

David Ferguson

Ben Hall

Scott McDonald

—–

Dylan Mackin

Robbie Leitch

Jack McMillan

Ross MacLean

Ryan Watters

The following players will leave the club when their contract expires at the end of the month:

Connor Ripley (Loan: returned to Middlesbrough)

Wes Fletcher

Morgaro Gomis (Loan: returned to Heart of Midlothian)

David Clarkson

Jack Leitch

Brett Long

Edited by capt_oats

I thought Jack Leitch was worth another year as with Pearson being injury prone and Las not going to be playing 35 games, we're going to need a bit of depth in midfield...

I still think Fletcher is an odd one. I was at the Inverness game on the first day and he was outstanding and really looked the part and then he got injured and disappeared completely...

Edited by Swello

I thought Jack Leitch was worth another year as with Pearson being injury prone and Las not going to be playing 35 games, we're going to need a bit of depth in midfield...

I still think Fletcher is an odd one. I was at the Inverness game on the first day and he was outstanding and really looked the part and then he got injured and disappeared completely...

Wes Fletcher just looked fucking miserable at all times.

I think Fletcher was really unfortunate. I only saw him in the game he got injured vs United and he looked the part, held the ball up well, ran the channels and offered a bit more of a physical presence than Moult. Then he picked up that injury and missed something like the next 8 games by which point Baraclough had been emptied and Moult & McDonald became the first choice strikers. I think he picked up another injury not long after that too, by which point you're halfway through the season, he's on a 1yr deal with an option and he had barely kicked a ball for the new manager. I think when he came back after the turn of the year he knew he'd be away at the end of the season and was just marking time.

I'd say Jack Leitch is probably in the position where he needs first team games but at the moment the best he's going to get at Fir Park is a spot on the bench and I think ideally that spot on the bench is going to be given to someone like Campbell. I can see him being another who, like McHugh, Forbes and Lawless is a player who finds a team at a lower level and every now and then the question comes up if we should have kept him.

Edited by capt_oats

Fletcher was injured again for the last few games of the season otherwise he would've got some game time in the last few games, he seemed to be injured more than he was fit so from that point of view its been the right call to get rid.

Jack Leitch position is a key area of the team and his age he now needs to be playing regularly and I reckon he probably thought he wouldn't be first pick so has made the decision to go somewhere we can he can be first pick.   Good luck to both players wherever they end up.