LOWLAND LEAGUE - TO BE OR NOT TO BE THAT IS THE QUESTION

Susan Boyles Cat

7 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

That throws up the problem of where do clubs go if they finish bottom of the LL? eg Preston Athletic or Hawick RA, where do they play their football? or is relegation scrapped and we have a LL closed shop like the HL?

It may force the SFA to intervene in this mess if the EoS does decline further and eventually folds, but then again maybe not. As others say, Regan isn't interested, and the game is already divided at Hampden, Professional Game Board (inc LL) and Non-Professional Game Board (inc SJFA). Madness.

Burnie, I like a lot of what you say. It makes sense. Unfortunately we are not the ones that make the rules, the debates are great & hopefully those that are rule makers will take onboard what we say. 

The Pyramid will develop, for the greater good, it took long enough to get it to this stage eh? 

I would hope that the SFA or whoever it ends up making the rules does the right thing for the EOS/SOS to sustain the next tiers, I'd suggest that the licenced teams that finishes closest to the top gets to play off for the right to play in the LL rather than those who can't or won't get licenced that finish above them? I realize it's not perfect but it's a compromise that hopefully keeps the shop open? We all want an open shop, don't we? 

I think, unfortunately that for the time being the Juniors will be a closed shop to the Pyramid but we can't force them to open up. I think in the future when the Pyramid becomes more attractive to them then we'll see them join in. 

G-Bo 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SJFA could easily be forced to open up. The SFA are the FIFA sanctioned national body and do the referee appointments and player registrations for the SJFA, so they are not separate rival organisations. The reality is that LL, HL and lower division SPFL part time clubs hold the majority of the votes at any SFA AGM, so the direction that gets set on league structures will tend to fit their self-interest agenda. Those clubs are happy with an SJFA closed shop and don't want a genuine pyramid, so there is no push for further change from that quarter. The interesting thing to watch is the top clubs' agenda on colt teams given their Challenge Cup entry this season and rumours of an LL restructure involving OF colt teams. That might help to break the logjam a bit.

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The SJFA could easily be forced to open up. The SFA are the FIFA sanctioned national body and do the referee appointments and player registrations for the SJFA, so they are not separate rival organisations. The reality is that LL, HL and lower division SPFL part time clubs hold the majority of the votes at any SFA AGM, so the direction that gets set on league structures will tend to fit their self-interest agenda. The interesting thing to watch is the top clubs' agenda on colt teams given their Challenge Cup entry this season and rumours of an LL restructure involvong OF colt teams. That might help to break the logjam.

OF Colt teams can GTF

19 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

That throws up the problem of where do clubs go if they finish bottom of the LL? eg Preston Athletic or Hawick RA, where do they play their football? or is relegation scrapped and we have a LL closed shop like the HL?

It may force the SFA to intervene in this mess if the EoS does decline further and eventually folds, but then again maybe not. As others say, Regan isn't interested, and the game is already divided at Hampden, Professional Game Board (inc LL) and Non-Professional Game Board (inc SJFA). Madness.

My post was more in hope than expectation.  The EoS folding might force the SFA to do something as an east feeder would be missing but I wouldn't be confident.  The lack of action on the pyramid from the SFA, other than setting up the Lowland League and tacking on the East/South below it, gives me little confidence.

I've seen posts on here about how the juniors will eventually get on board or that there's nothing that can be done but I think that the SFA has to take the lead here.  At worst, everything could be merged and then clubs could apply for promotion from the north/west/east leagues.  You could have a unified structure but not force clubs to take promotion and, instead, have all interested clubs apply for promotion and have the highest placed interested team enter the promotion playoffs.  I'm only repeating myself with this post; it's all been said before but I don't expect anything to change any time soon.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the EoS league.  Losing members every year and not just losing clubs to the Lowland League.  Others have quit/folded.  Two games cancelled at the weekend as well.  It certainly could be close to the end for the league.  Drop below ten clubs and the league is really struggling.

It would be great to see a unified structure in the north/south and see how clubs compete with each other.  I think it would be the best thing for the game going forward.  It's crazy having the best non-league clubs unable to play each other and having teams from the same cities/regions not playing each other because they're in a different organisation.

2 hours ago, Marr1 said:

OF Colt teams can GTF

Agree on this. Don't see the value of teams participating in a league they can't win, especially if promotion is at stake.

FTOF

G-Bo

23 hours ago, Marr1 said:

We have 925 teams playing Saturday afternoon adult football in Scotland, they should all be incorporated into a system that allows them to progress through the ranks. 

Should have a look at the Swiss set up. Outside the top two leagues it is regionalised, with the leagues being more "Local" the further down the pyramid you go. The Scottish set up is a bit of a joke and absolutely stunts the game here.

2 hours ago, Pink Flag said:

Bet your Treasurer wouldn't concur emoji41.png

I wouldn't be so sure, Celtic 'B' drew just 216 v Annan last night.

On regionalisation - chat is as old as the hills. You have a stepped system at the moment - SPFL; HL & LL below that; EOSL & SOSL below LL. Junior pyramid has its Regions and Districts, and most Amateur leagues cover counties or local authority areas or regions. Issue is linking them up and who 'sub-divides' when.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Should have a look at the Swiss set up. Outside the top two leagues it is regionalised, with the leagues being more "Local" the further down the pyramid you go. The Scottish set up is a bit of a joke and absolutely stunts the game here.

110% This.

Switzerland, Croatia, Portugal, Northern Ireland, Wales, England and Germany to name but a few all have much more "complete" pyramids than us. 

It shows how much of a joke the running of football is in this country

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I wouldn't be so sure, Celtic 'B' drew just 216 v Annan last night.

On regionalisation - chat is as old as the hills. You have a stepped system at the moment - SPFL; HL & LL below that; EOSL & SOSL below LL. Junior pyramid has its Regions and Districts, and most Amateur leagues cover counties or local authority areas or regions. Issue is linking them up and who 'sub-divides' when.

I always get the impression that the underlying issue here is that too many people involved in running and organising the various associations are in it for the title as opposed to for the good of the game. Too many don't want to give up what little power they have and the connections it provides them with.

Ideally a strong FA would come up with a plan and tell the rest to either get in or piss off. It's the only way it will happen.

Maybe need to start at the top rather than the bottom,

If the different rooms of blazers for the SJFA, SPFL and SFA sitting in different corners of Hampden can't be merged into a single body what chance of building a single pyramid.

2 hours ago, Grim O"Grady said:

Agree on this. Don't see the value of teams participating in a league they can't win, especially if promotion is at stake.

FTOF

G-Bo

suprised you are still here Grimbo2.

G-Bo

3 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Maybe need to start at the top rather than the bottom,

If the different rooms of blazers for the SJFA, SPFL and SFA sitting in different corners of Hampden can't be merged into a single body what chance of building a single pyramid.

The English started from the bottom to get to where they are today, non league sorted themselves out and then eventually got their place (s) in the Football League.

As you say though too many different bodies (and blazers) involved and that's at non league level even before you get to the SPFL. Only way a true pyramid would happen would be with the LL, EOSL, SOSL and SJFA all sitting around the table and getting things sorted but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one!

4 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Hopefully more of these stories in the media, even Blackburn get a mention..............

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/sportsview-ann-budge-right-change-8610273#bW7ZkSsbiqXAGc4M.97

I'm amazed that some one at the Record has heard of Blackburn and West Calder, take it he must be a free lancer and not on the sportsdesk staff they don't seem to be able to get past Glasgow city boundaries for stories.

He is right with some of his stuff with a proper integration of all non leagues needed which the SFA could make happen if they could be arsed. To claim that Scotland's international side is shit because of too many wee clubs is a bit far fetched.

Reading it again he's also towing the party line with the B teams in a league set up tosh which can gtf as far as i'm concerned. They have hardly been crowd pullers in the Irn Bru Cup and only St Johnstone and Motherwell could be bothered to play a home game at their own ground and even then after moving it twice.

All they would do in a pyramid would clog up the route for genuine non league clubs who want to progress up the ladder. I don't see what harm it does sending young guys out on loan to smaller SPFL sides - Craig Gordon, Robbie Neilson and Derek Riordan played for Cowden when they were young and Garry O'Connor was at Peterhead, never done them any harm as the all player regular 1st team football when they returned to Hearts and Hibs and three of them went onto play for the full international side.

Archived