LOWLAND LEAGUE - TO BE OR NOT TO BE THAT IS THE QUESTION

Susan Boyles Cat

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed!Lowland should learn from SOS mistake. No travelling support and a different squad playing every week.A commercial enterprise making a mockery of lower league football. 

Hopefully it's Hawick and Civil Service Strollers.

There's a lot admirable about Edusport but an international teaching franchise has no business playing at this level and Scottish senior football should not be facilitating access to this level.

I also think St. Cuthberts should be hammered for refusing promotion. Can't get the toilet block connected in time, LOL. Either the SFA should call their bluff and award the license as soon as the toilets are connected- I doubt anyone cares either way- or they should be prevented for emntering the Scottish Cup.

The pyramid system simply will never develop if clubs are allowed to pick and choose when they want promotion. I'm not having sob stories about no money /players. There are ways around all problems if there is a will. I am sure many of the hundred plus or so freed players from League Two and the Lowlands would jump at the chance of continuing to play at a decent level in the hope of a move back up.

I view Edusport in the same way as the uni teams, if they can meet off-feild(licencing) standards and put good enough players on the park then they can play at any level. No amount of 'they've got no fans' can change that.

you got no fans,you got no ground (sound familiar)?

A team from Dumfries,playing in Stirling allegedly, with a team full of French students!!! And they couldn't win the sos league which tells me they aren't going to be lighting up the lowland. I think if edusport get in before Hawick or civil people need there head seen to. Only in my opinion though.

Wasn't the Selkirk team similar (made up of French graduates/students) 2 year ago or am I missing something ? As pars says if the criteria/standard can be met then there really is no argument. Hopefully there would/will be more but saying that of the 3 teams listed here I'd go with Strollers and Hawick ?

Out of curiosity, why is your own team not applying?

You're as big a Scotland fan as me LTL (do you have a club team) but some folk post on these forums wi false teams but it would be interesting to see the plans for the uni of Glasgow in the Pyramid ? :o

Agreed!Lowland should learn from SOS mistake. No travelling support and a different squad playing every week.A commercial enterprise making a mockery of lower league football.

But more ambitious than St Cuthbert’s :o

Is there my licensing overview of this Edusport outfit? They're taking boys money to train them but they can't win the SoSL league? Have they had any success? Have any of their ex-players got a professional contract?

I can't see much difference between Edu sport and what Stirling Uni are doing. If Stirling are allowed to be in the LL then so should Edu.

They both offer basically the same thing to young footballers with a little bit of talent. Extending their dreams of making it in the game little longer.

What on earth?

You asked the lad who's team is Glasgow University "out of curiosity" why they're not applying for the pyramid. Your team on here is Scotland. There are posters on these forums who either have Scotland as their team or blatantly choose a non league side they don't have any affinity with. Maybe the lad has nothing to do with Glasgow Uni FC ?

Glasgow University FC has been in membership of the SFA for a long time, and does not wish to forfeit this status by breaching the criteria required for ongoing membership.  Whilst a West of Scotland pyramid feeder league would be helpful, it doesn't look like this will be forthcoming in the near future.When (if ?) Clydebank FC get their new ground, and (probably) apply to join the pyramid, there may be a greater incentive in terms of financial and logistical considerations for clubs in Glasgow and the west.  

Reasons not to get promoted to or stay in the Lowland League:

COST:

Expence of coaches to away games £6000 per season.

Expence of Referees and Assistants (incl travel expences) £4000 per season

Expences of Management and Players wages/kit at least £1000 each 18 man squad plus management = £20000

INCOME:

Average attendance (100) at Home Games at £5 each = £5000

Expences not taken into account:

Fuel and Light, Ground maintenance, telephone,/broadband/admin

Why are teams shelling out 6 grand on coaches in the lowland league? A lot of part time teams the players just drive unless its far off.

Why are teams shelling out 6 grand on coaches in the lowland league? A lot of part time teams the players just drive unless its far off.

I think you've just answered your own question there - most sides probably wouldn't for strictly local games, say Spartans v Edinburgh Uni, but some of the distances you'd have to cover from the South West to most away games you couldn't expect players to turn up under their own steam.

Some of the cost can be offset by taking fans on the team coach - we'll do that for away Junior Cup ties, hire a 60-seater and take 30-odd fans - but again that's a couple of times a year, and I imagine interest would dwindle were we doing it every other week.

One minute you are talking about ambition and professionalism and the next you are asking players to drive 2hrs to a game ,play and drive 2hrs back home.! Very professional!

Maybe there should be a regionalised LL, possibly a South Division and an East Division, the winners playing off for the title. ;)

Edusport... why don't they have Scottish boys, why French?

One minute you are talking about ambition and professionalism and the next you are asking players to drive 2hrs to a game ,play and drive 2hrs back home.! Very professional!

R u ragin m8?

Congratulations to Hawick RA and CSS Strollers on their promotion to the Lowland League for 2016/17.

Also, best wishes to East Stirlingshire as they enter non-league. This may help the club as it looks to move to a new ground.

Archived