League Expansion: Which Clubs?

Like you say the "product" is only considered bad in relation to a league next door that's had billions spent on it.

I don't think Scottish football is that bad although I would like to see us develop more technical players but what do we expect when we insist our kids play 11v11 on a full size pitch from 11years old through the Winter?!

I think the way Alloa played under Hartley may be a good starting point for clubs in Scotland. We got the ball down, liked to play out from the back and used lots of short passes. I think if clubs can sort that in their young players to begin with then maybe start with the tricky wingers or attacking midfielders and teach holding midfielders to read a game. It would be a long process but as a coach I like the way the SFA are changing their coaching courses.

To be fair to the SFA on their coaching courses they encourage you to get the kids comfortable on the ball and to teach them little skills and progress it up, I like that idea.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the way Alloa played under Hartley may be a good starting point for clubs in Scotland. We got the ball down, liked to play out from the back and used lots of short passes. I think if clubs can sort that in their young players to begin with then maybe start with the tricky wingers or attacking midfielders and teach holding midfielders to read a game. It would be a long process but as a coach I like the way the SFA are changing their coaching courses.

To be fair to the SFA on their coaching courses they encourage you to get the kids comfortable on the ball and to teach them little skills and progress it up, I like that idea.

That's a start but I think the problem is that we are coaching the flair out of young kids with the ability to take players on. We have plenty of players that can play in the first two thirds of the pitch which teams will generally let them have possession but put them under pressure and they go to pieces and give the ball away to easily. For me, that is where we have gone backwards as a football Nation.

I've always felt the British teams have relied on the tempo of the game rather than technique to create opportunities whereas on the Continent where the game is much slower its the opposite.

That's a start but I think the problem is that we are coaching the flair out of young kids with the ability to take players on. We have plenty of players that can play in the first two thirds of the pitch which teams will generally let them have possession but put them under pressure and they go to pieces and give the ball away to easily. For me, that is where we have gone backwards as a football Nation.

I've always felt the British teams have relied on the tempo of the game rather than technique to create opportunities whereas on the Continent where the game is much slower its the opposite.

I agree but I also think we could find a balance inbetween the two to be honest, I like slow build up play then towards the final third that's where flair and skill should really be able to flourish. There's a clip of Henry talking about Pep Guardiola's tactics at Barcelona on Sky Sports i'll see if I can find it.

I've taken the "s" out so no idea why the video isn't coming up.

never seen that before. very interesting. reinforces the final 3rd point I was making.

Thanks for posting that.

never seen that before. very interesting. reinforces the final 3rd point I was making.

Thanks for posting that.

There's another video a guy made before showing how Atletico defend but I can't find the exact one I had last week. It was a little slow and boring but mentioned how they all move as a unit rather than individually and they generally force teams out wide and once out there all players will move across forcing them out further and further. It also mentioned how they press players whilst blocking out all passing lanes forward forcing the player in possession to either take them on or go backwards it was interesting as well and if I come acoss it i'll post it on here.

There's another video a guy made before showing how Atletico defend but I can't find the exact one I had last week. It was a little slow and boring but mentioned how they all move as a unit rather than individually and they generally force teams out wide and once out there all players will move across forcing them out further and further. It also mentioned how they press players whilst blocking out all passing lanes forward forcing the player in possession to either take them on or go backwards it was interesting as well and if I come acoss it i'll post it on here.

they have to press as a team? usually that is the case other wise 1 diagonal ball (not necessarily a 40-70 yarder) can split your midfield or defence.

Atletico ain't great to watch but give the financial miss-match they face against Real & Barca I can understand why they do it.

Not press as a team no, it showed clips to go with it and it was when one person moved across all 10 outfielders did at the same time at the same pace. The closest comparison I can think of similar to it is having a fussball table and you and a mate have one team one of you take defenders and the other take midfielders and strikers and move them perfectly in sync across. It was all deep defending, position based and teamwork.

Not press as a team no, it showed clips to go with it and it was when one person moved across all 10 outfielders did at the same time at the same pace. The closest comparison I can think of similar to it is having a fussball table and you and a mate have one team one of you take defenders and the other take midfielders and strikers and move them perfectly in sync across. It was all deep defending, position based and teamwork.

Let me know if you find it. Cheers man.

PS - Good luck to Alloa next season.

Let me know if you find it. Cheers man.

PS - Good luck to Alloa next season.

Will do, I may be able to get it on my tablet when I get home as that's where I watched it initially.

All the best to Hearts too, just make sure you finish above Rangers :)

Will do, I may be able to get it on my tablet when I get home as that's where I watched it initially.

All the best to Hearts too, just make sure you finish above Rangers :)

Cheers. I hope so too although sadly I won't be able to renew my ST as my local team for (hopefully) the next 3-4 years will be Ehime FC in Japan! Went to their game recently v Cezero Osaka.......interesting experience!

Cheers. I hope so too although sadly I won't be able to renew my ST as my local team for (hopefully) the next 3-4 years will be Ehime FC in Japan! Went to their game recently v Cezero Osaka.......interesting experience!

What's the football like over there? I used to help run a Scottish football twitter account and there was a J-league account that followed us and had a bit of banter with us. Guy was really sound.

What's the football like over there? I used to help run a Scottish football twitter account and there was a J-league account that followed us and had a bit of banter with us. Guy was really sound.

the game was neat and tidy but very little in the way of goal action. Not too dis-similar to Scottish football in many respects except they play through the Summer......which I wish we would move to.

What is the twitter account? I'd follow that!

the game was neat and tidy but very little in the way of goal action. Not too dis-similar to Scottish football in many respects except they play through the Summer......which I wish we would move to.

What is the twitter account? I'd follow that!

Got shut down there was a few of us a couple guys in the know at a couple clubs and I just generally spoke shite about teams tactics tbh but one guy kept getting stuff wrong and no one would admit to it. Two of them had an unbelievable bitch fit and the page got shut down :lol:

Got shut down there was a few of us a couple guys in the know at a couple clubs and I just generally spoke shite about teams tactics tbh but one guy kept getting stuff wrong and no one would admit to it. Two of them had an unbelievable bitch fit and the page got shut down :lol:

Sounds like P&B!

I'll keep you posted about Ehime FC. They made the play off for JL1 last season but fell short. Doubt they'll make it this season as they offer sweet fcuk all up front!

Sounds like P&B!

I'll keep you posted about Ehime FC. They made the play off for JL1 last season but fell short. Doubt they'll make it this season as they offer sweet fcuk all up front!

Is it cheap to get in over there?

Is it cheap to get in over there?

Japan isn't cheap mate. Similar if not slightly more expensive than the UK. Flights are £700-£1000 return with internal flights being similar to easyjet or ryanair.......but bullet trains are expensive!

We paid 1800yen for the match ticket but that was on offer.....its usually 2500yen.......about £16 for a ticket.

Its a great place and I'm loving the adventure so far :) 

Hartley's Alloa were the dullest bunch on the planet. I get it being the most successful time for Alloa in recent history may see some of their fans look past that but it was absolutely rancid.

Hartley's Alloa were the dullest bunch on the planet. I get it being the most successful time for Alloa in recent history may see some of their fans look past that but it was absolutely rancid.

I disagree, and plenty high scoring games would suggest otherwise. Possibly our championship season with Hartley because we had to sit back and only hit on the counter or we would have been totally punished by some teams.

Archived