Offensive Behaviour at Football Act cave in.

Glenconner

Isn’t there a joke in The Office which is literally about 16 years old at this point where the punchline is that Gareth is an out of touch racist like his dad because he thinks it’s acceptable to call black people “coloureds”?
There's the one about the Royal family and "what is bigger than the bread bin?"

4 minutes ago, Of Average Intelligence said:

What do you mean by this? Are you calling me a "real racist"? 

Only you can answer that.

5 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

'The people who don't like racial slurs are the real racists'

One of, if not the hottest takes I've ever seen on this forum.

It's about understanding the thinking of these people, any normal human being wouldn't be actively "looking" for things which "could" be interpreted as racist, bigoted or whatever and for that reason they are indeed the ones with the warped minds who think the dark thoughts.

It's all very sad.

Nobody has said the word gay is homophobic. Let me break it down for you.
Saying someone that is gay is gay to describe their sexuality = not homophobic.
Saying someone or something is gay to mean they’re being stupid or annoying = homophobic. 
Do you understand? 
Gay doesn't mean stupid or annoying though. It means happy, joyous etc. I think I'll stop debating with someone who doesn't even know the definition of a simple word...thanks.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s a pity it was your mate and wasn’t you.

You sure?

If I was locked up I'd be posting even more on here and winding you up even more, safe in the knowledge that you couldn't get to me to carry out violent reprisals. 

Quite clearly not how the word is used in the context I initially described. Probably for the best if you leave with your tail between your legs though tbh, you’ve had an absolute nightmare here. 
A context you made up mate. Literally no one has ever described a stupid person as gay apart from in your head. Nightmare indeed.

3 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:
5 minutes ago, ali_91 said:
Saying someone or something is gay to mean they’re being stupid or annoying = homophobic. 
Do you understand? 

Gay doesn't mean stupid or annoying though. It means happy, joyous etc. I think I'll stop debating with someone who doesn't even know the definition of a simple word...thanks.

Yes, it's pointless as there is no debate, they think they're right and they're unwilling or incapable of any adult discussion.

They'll take things out of context, post childish pictures and then try and claim the moral high ground.

Sad.

Feel for you here mate, but I’m going to go to your favourite place, urban dictionary, and make you look like an idiot. Apologies in advance. 

13E5BF63-25CD-4B3F-855A-E5706B8A7DFD.thumb.png.cfa83f1010675e4f0cb40a907105df1f.png
Well you seem to know more about derogtory slights than I do. Wonder why. Good on you.

20 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:
22 minutes ago, ali_91 said:
Do you understand? 

When did you last use "gay" to mean happy or joyous?

2 hours ago, ali_91 said:

It's all about the origins of the phrases.

Calling a Chinese person or Chinese food a "chinky" derived from a derogatory term used to describe a race. The fact that it is sometimes used affectionately (or faux affectionately) doesn't change that.

Using the phrase "gay" to describe something bad is homophobic, because it comes from a basic conception that gay people are somehow worse than everyone else, or that being gay is wrong. This used to be a mainstream belief even 20 years ago, but fortunately we have moved on from that.

The origin of the term "black"/"blacko" in Ayrshire, Fife and probably other places has nothing to do with race, but instead relates to the mining history of the areas, where it was used to describe people who had been down the pits and others who had been involved in manual labour.

There's actually probably a slight similarity with the word "gay" - up until fairly recently it could also be used to mean "happy", but the meaning has now shifted so much towards "homosexual" that you basically never hear it used in that context. The same thing will probably happen with "black" in Ayrshire - people will be much more reluctant to use it now in case it is misconstrued as racist, and therefore it will more or less die out.

Edited by craigkillie

AUFC90 going for the beleaguered supply teacher approach to tackling homophobia.

I never brought homophobia up. The other guy brought it up in the context of a homophobic slur to compare to black in the context of not being a racist slur. I.e confusing the issue. My point was the term black b*****d isn't racist in certain parts of the country unless directed towards someone in a racial context.

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I think large companies should tone down the irritating banter approach on social media, especially when they've just laid off hundreds of members of staff.

It's unfortunate.

I agree, it doesn't overly "anger" me, however had a white Scottish bloke stuck on a turban and stood with a Curry to advertise a trip to India, then I'm sure there would have been a whole different level of "outrage"...............

I agree, it doesn't overly "anger" me, however had a white Scottish bloke stuck on a turban and stood with a Curry to advertise a trip to India, then I'm sure there would have been a whole different level of "outrage"...............

It's got nothing to do with the guy's skin colour or religion.

It's not politically correctness, it's insensitivity at a time when a significant number of people are being laid off.