Offensive Behaviour at Football Act cave in.

Glenconner

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Ok two issues here. The body accusing police scotland of institutional racism says that it needs to specifically recruit from bme communities and has failed to address this, despite the fact numbers of officers from these backgrounds has risen dramatically with the introduction of a proactive recruitment team three years ago and has seen some divisions improve bme recruitment upto 400%. The proactive recruitment team holds events all over the country specifically to attract bme people to join and gives them significantly more guidance through the recruitment process than any other applicants. My mate is a Scottish pakistani and a cop and i’ve had an significant insight into the process he undertook. Its also right that they undertake this work as the cops should reflect the society they serve, it breeds confidence.
My mate helps out with their version of the fire cadets and that group has a very significant proportion of BME and other diverse groups in it, they did a bag pack for a charity I work with and I was impressed by the diversity of the group and the kids in general were great.
Further 2 points, the academic you’ve quoted is a member of a labour think tank, a party which has sought to undermine the police at every turn and secondly you’ve quoted a paper which has a pretty clear agenda against the SNP and Police Scotland.
I concede that stop search figures skew opinion, however quantitive data without context doesnt do enough to convince me that every police officer or even anything close to a majority of officers have a problem with racism. It may not be a perfect organisation and far from it, but throwing around accusations that 15,000 people are racists who pick on people because of their skin colour is a shameful generalisation.

Those are just the first two I picked, mate.  I could have spent more time on it but couldn't be bothered. I'm not saying all 15,000 folk are racist (that would be a shameful generalisation that you made) but it's clear that Police Scotland has a long road to walk before they become the progressive body we all want.  I notice you didn't bother to address the claim that they pick on teenagers or football fans.  That's before we even address the problem of entrenched sectarianism, jeezo.

Those are just the first two I picked, mate.  I could have spent more time on it but couldn't be bothered. I'm not saying all 15,000 folk are racist (that would be a shameful generalisation that you made) but it's clear that Police Scotland has a long road to walk before they become the progressive body we all want.  I notice you didn't bother to address the claim that they pick on teenagers or football fans.  That's before we even address the problem of entrenched sectarianism, jeezo.

I was only taking issue with one particular part as I didnt feel it was relevant to the discussion, but for the record this is my opinion on the other two points.

I disagree with the fact that Football fans are picked on, I understand the vast majority are decent folks who just want to go to a game and have a ball, I suspect many cops know that too, in-fact my mate I alluded to earlier hates working at games and the last thing he wants to do is go and arrest people at them, I don’t know if its true but apparently it leads to their days off being cancelled to go to court. I can only go on what he tells me. There is a marked increase in crime during high profile games like the old firm etc, am I happy for a drunken arsehole getting the jail for singing sectarian songs, definitely, I don’t want to go to football and listen to that shite, do I think that cops can sometimes get it wrong damn right I do, but i think thats more indicative of individual people making an arse of it than an entire organisation. I took my mate and his nephew to a Scotland game and the mounted cops etc were all for taking photos and stuff with the wee man, again entirely not the experience or impression of them that some posters have, again perhaps thats down to their own conduct or an individual cop being shite at their job? Perhaps having 2 mates and a brother in law in the police skews my opinion but i’ve only had 1 negative experience with the police in 20 years of going to football (in Stranraer) we complained and got a letter of apology.

Do I think they ‘pick on’ teenagers, well no. To give an example, a park was built beside my parents house and its seen a number of kids come into the park and drink and i’ve smelled cannabis etc being smoked as i’ve walked past too, that brought quite a lot of disorder and fighting and just general antisocial behaviour to their door, some of the drunk ones (who I presume were all still at school 14/15 year olds) would even chap my mums door and ask to use their toilet, giving her abuse when she said no. my parents asked via the local councillor for more attention in the area, that meant the next weekend cops came and my mum said they searched and took drink and stuff off them, this persisted for a few weeks until they stopped hanging about there at night. Conversely through my work with a local charity I was aware of some of the kids who were drinking at that park, had written a letter complaining about the cops ‘harassing them’ whilst being completely oblivious to the harassment they brought to the area. I think this is more down to the issue of parents who can’t accept that despite the fact little Farquhar goes to a good school doesnt mean he doesnt act like a little arse at times.

Do I think this is replicated all over the country, yes. I’d prefer to see kids encouraged into diversionary activities, however (im sure this is where we politically agree) the tory austerity campaign has hurt our ability as a society to do that.

Anyway I’ve digressed off the main point of the thread and im sure we won’t have changed each others minds but I wanted to express what I felt was a valid disagreement.

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Anyway I’ve digressed off the main point of the thread and im sure we won’t have changed each others minds but I wanted to express what I felt was a valid disagreement.

Fair enough but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence in there, mate.

Baxter Parp being called “the forum’s resident edgy left winger” is good craic.

I don’t mean any offence by it, I like edgy! I’m pretty economically and in most aspects of social policy left wing myself, just find myself more centrist on law and order, I guess however in my opinion if more was spent on diversionary and preventative measures then I’d have no need to form an opinion on the latter.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Sorry are you saying that Police officers in Scotland pick on people because of their skin colour? Do you even remotely have any evidence of this? 

You could visit Sheku Bayoh's grave if you liked.

35 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Is there any actual evidence that he was a) killed illegally or b) as a result of police racially profiling him?

Id like to wait for the outcome of the investigation and any subsequent trial before I make that assertion.

a) It's not legal for the police to kill somebody because they're black

and 

b) If he was a white lawyer from the Southside he wouldn't be six foot under

BUT CALL ME A ZANY ACTIVIST IF YOU LIKE

a) It's not legal for the police to kill somebody because they're black
- of fcuking course its not where has anyone even suggested that this was the case, i’m asking if theres any evidence that you are aware of that he was unlawfully killed let alone killed ‘because he’s black’???
b) If he was a white lawyer from the Southside he wouldn't be six foot under
-have you read the pirc report out of interest? If so i’d be definitely bow to your more informed opinion.

BUT CALL ME A ZANY ACTIVIST IF YOU LIKE
- You don’t come across as zany, just a bit angry. What do you campaign against out of interest?

1 hour ago, HibsFan said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/scotland/scottish-rugby-to-probe-sectarian-incident-in-rome-1-4709262

Can't wait for the Offensive Behaviour at Rugby Act to be drafted up, given that the football equivalent was in response to two managers squaring up to each other on the touchline.

Aye and a hundred years of bigotry.  It was totally about two managers though.  Fkn bellend.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/scotland/scottish-rugby-to-probe-sectarian-incident-in-rome-1-4709262
Can't wait for the Offensive Behaviour at Rugby Act to be drafted up, given that the football equivalent was in response to two managers squaring up to each other on the touchline.

Edinburgh Cops have some form when it comes to locking up Rugby Coaches

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/european/4571581.stm

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Aye no one sang sad Orange or ****** b*****d when the bill was in place.....

It did die down though. It wasn't nearly as prominent as it is now. Voting down the act and making sure the general public new it was being repealed no doubt gave the bigots a huge boost.