Queen's Park FC 2016/17 Thread

3 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

That will be the Airdrie side you have failed to defeat this season and now much improved on the squads you failed to defeat. Look forward to setting the pace to see if you can stay ahead of Albion rovers

Sorry. Meant to say Brechin. Until one of their guys comes on with a rant and then it'll be Alloa.:rolleyes:

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

That will be the Airdrie side you have failed to defeat this season and now much improved on the squads you failed to defeat. Look forward to setting the pace to see if you can stay ahead of Albion rovers

I don't see Airdrie lasting the pace either. Shove that up yer lum!

Must admit I didn't consider we would be going for the promotion play-offs but Quinno says it's been the plan all along.

Glass half empty I'd still be happy if we avoid relegation play offs! Lowest scorers in the league and great white hope Malone languishing on the bench, likewise Liam brown one of our most promising and creative players.

But hey apart from games against airdrie Gus has got us organised, hard working and difficult to beat so should count our blessings?!

15 minutes ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

Glass half empty I'd still be happy if we avoid relegation play offs! Lowest scorers in the league and great white hope Malone languishing on the bench, likewise Liam brown one of our most promising and creative players.

But hey apart from games against airdrie Gus has got us organised, hard working and difficult to beat so should count our blessings?!

It's a tough shout either way. I genuinely think Gus was trying to have a more forward facing team and we got punished for it. Never thrashed, but just not quite good enough. Reverts to type and within a month we're in our highest league position in decades. I'd settle happily for a comfy fifth spot in May and a few happy days along the way. And at least one win against the Coatbridge pickpockets.

I'll be surprised if Brown doesn't get fed in as the season rolls on. He's prime product for a transfer with a tasty sell-on clause.

I think it's a great way to think. Look up the table instead of over your shoulder. Having said that, if we avoid the relegation playoffs by a single goal on the final day, the season can be termed a success. We're punching well above our weight at present.

18 hours ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

He's also got us winning now. Although I do agree about the relegation spots. I'll gladly settle for finishing 8th on goal difference

It's a tough shout either way. I genuinely think Gus was trying to have a more forward facing team and we got punished for it. Never thrashed, but just not quite good enough. Reverts to type and within a month we're in our highest league position in decades. I'd settle happily for a comfy fifth spot in May and a few happy days along the way. And at least one win against the Coatbridge pickpockets.
I'll be surprised if Brown doesn't get fed in as the season rolls on. He's prime product for a transfer with a tasty sell-on clause.

How can an amateur be sold?

I believe that Zanatta's loan ends after this weekends game, what is the chance of him being back with us now that Hearts have a new gaffer,once he got settled in has done well holding the ball and getting into the box, must have caused two or three pk in the last three weeks

7 minutes ago, Legless said:

How can an amateur be sold?

I said sell-on. Even when unpaid they are still under contract when playing. Gets a transfer to a big club and becomes professional. We negotiate a sell-on percentage, when he's still contracted to QP, for when he moves on from his new club. Like when Andy Robertson went to The Arabs and moved on again quickly to Hull. Works best if they are young enough and good enough to make two big jumps in a few years.

2 minutes ago, Zaltan said:

I believe that Zanatta's loan emaybe it's bends after this weekends game, what is the chance of him being back with us now that Hearts have a new gaffer,once he got settled in has done well holding the ball and getting into the box, must have caused two or three pk in the last three weeks

He's done well for us and is working on building his strength and competing. I think he'll do even better when he works on finding space but maybe the physical stuff is what Hearts are testing him on. Don't know anything about your team other than they seem to be doing well so it maybe he gets a full season with us. No complaints from Spiders fans if he does. Seems to have a good temperament and attitude too. Hope he makes it at the top level.

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I said sell-on. Even when unpaid they are still under contract when playing. Gets a transfer to a big club and becomes professional. We negotiate a sell-on percentage, when he's still contracted to QP, for when he moves on from his new club. Like when Andy Robertson went to The Arabs and moved on again quickly to Hull. Works best if they are young enough and good enough to make two big jumps in a few years.

This may be a moot point, but Ibelieve it's a "youth development fee" (now called "training compensation"?) that QP are entitled to rather than a sell-on one which is negotiable? The Robertson example is probably a bad one as Dundee Utd's chairman supposedly made a complete arse of that one by refusing to pay us a development fee by claiming that only applied to transactions between professional clubs (exactly as he had done with the Barry Douglas one). The story goes that Queen's suggested referring to a higher authority for a definitive ruling at which point Mr. Smartypants bricked it and suggested we took a sell-on % instead in the belief that sod-all would come off it given the low level Andy had been signed from. Instead agent Robertson's progress was meteoric, and DU ended up paying Queen's several multiples of what the develpment fee would have been.

If my memory serves me right, our very first development fee came from Dumbarton after they sold Neil Collins to Sunderland? Dundee Utd. also famously had to pay Rangers £170k for Charlie Telfer (and what a great deal that initially proved to be when they shipped him out to Livingston!). So unless someone corrects me, my understanding is that clubs are automatically due compensation for training young players, but whether queen's are technically due them under the letter of the lay so far remains "not proven".

6 hours ago, Zaltan said:

I believe that Zanatta's loan ends after this weekends game, what is the chance of him being back with us now that Hearts have a new gaffer,once he got settled in has done well holding the ball and getting into the box, must have caused two or three pk in the last three weeks

I heard from a work colleague who is well connected at Tynecastle that we had him for the season.

That was before the change of manager.

Apparently Queens Park will be investigated by the HMRC for handing out £1 professional contracts, which breach the minimum wage rules.

Archived