Queen's Park FC 2016/17 Thread

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would definitely have Muir back in the team. Best keeper I've seen play for Queen's.

The big man Murphy hasn't done much wrong so far (still think there's uncertainty at set pieces) but I doubt Gus would have brought Muir back if he wasn't willing to make him number one again.

3 hours ago, Andyboy said:

Would definitely have Muir back in the team. Best keeper I've seen play for Queen's.

The big man Murphy hasn't done much wrong so far (still think there's uncertainty at set pieces) but I doubt Gus would have brought Muir back if he wasn't willing to make him number one again.

Is it not more the case that it's the only option for Muir at the moment given the timescale between him leaving EF and the transfer window? Maybe come January other options will open up for him. I'm assuming he left us in the summer because he wanted to advance his career and thought EF would be the best club for that at this stage.   It's a sensible deal for both parties - he gets time to re-assess and somewhere to train ( and hopefully play from his point of view) and we add another quality keeper to the squad 

11 minutes ago, east fife for life said:

Glad Muir got a chance back at his old club. Came to East Fife with a great reputation but his attitude didn't go down well with our club.

E.T.A From what I seen of him he wasn't any better than Goodfellow anyway.

His attitude was always absolutely first class at Queen's. Having seen two full seasons of him, I'm confident that we have one of the best keepers in the lower league back at Hampden. Big Murphy has impressed and had two shut outs in the past two games. Interesting to see what he does. A nice problem to have.

1 hour ago, east fife for life said:

Glad Muir got a chance back at his old club. Came to East Fife with a great reputation but his attitude didn't go down well with our club.

Muir was outstanding for us.  Is there any substance to the 'attitude' thing, or just hearsay?

Hope Goodfellow can do a job for you because Mark Hurst was a standout bombscare for Elgin last season.

1 hour ago, east fife for life said:

Don't be a tease? What does "attitude" really mean? 

1 hour ago, Tallerpeople said:

Complaining about training, travelling etc.

Thanks.

Bizarre. You would think those would be fairly obvious considerations when he signed just a couple of months back. Homesick for Hampden. Hopefully you'll have a better time with Duggan, although I hear he's still injured?

I heard it was just the travel that was an issue. Not the fact that he didn't know how far away Methil was. More the fact he was travelling to training after work, getting caught in traffic and arriving late.

My source was pretty drunk when he told me this so it could be bollocks :lol:

On 01/09/2016 at 10:41, Mick1867 said:

I really hope Murphy keeps his place for now, with Muir as back up. It's not a case of Murphy not doing much wrong, probably more a case of him being really impressive the last couple of games. I think he's had a far more solid start to his QP career than Muir did and I fully expect him to get better ( like Muir did ) Gus is the type to show players loyalty if they're doing the business for him so I hope he remains consistent on this. Fair enough, if Murphy starts having howlers then get Muir back in but I reckon the competition for places will only motivate the lad to keep performing.

As for Williams, not fussed at all. Looked pretty average.

100% agree with you on all of the above Mick. Muir is arguably the better 'keeper, but as a matter of principle I believe it would be completely wrong for squad morale in the long run if Gus were to drop a player who has done nothing wrong in his previous performance. We've bailed Muir out of a position of his own making, and hopefully he's not arrogant enough to expect to walk straight back in at the expense of a fellow player, but prepared to bide his time the way Wharton is currently doing. For me this is the most important test of Gus's man-management skills since Miller-gate.

2 hours ago, bobthespider said:

Muir should be back right now 100% better keeper . Don't understand argument for not playing him . Manager is there to make tough decisions I expect him to pick the best team available .

5 of the starting 10 outfielders last week weren't at the club last season so Andy Murphy is part of their team. Wullie Muir is just the guy who left to do better for himself but didn't. If it was the red haired kiddy from Canada it would be a no-brainer but it's not. Murphy looks solid so far and I think Guus would be risking more than gaining by bringing Muir back in. There's a long season ahead. 

Besides, if Mick1867's drunken confidente is even close Wullie could do with some time to get his head straight. And if it's ruthlessness from Guus that rings your bell bobthespider, Muir has just been taken out of the market place and won't be stopping any shots from his old team mates. Clever!

Muir is a top goalkeeper at this level. I think he will end up back in the side, but Murphy should probably keep the gloves for now. Two clean sheets on the bounce against tough opposition.

Despite accusations of "attitude" from the East Fife fan, I can honestly say that I've never seen a hint of that from him. He strikes me as a guy who wants to learn and improve. I'm sorry for him that he didn't get a full time move in the summer, which he's easily good enough for. However, it's our gain and time is on his side. Having two apparently very good goalkeepers is a great problem to have. Young Waters looks no mug either. 

3 hours ago, bobthespider said:

Muir should be back right now 100% better keeper . Don't understand argument for not playing him . Manager is there to make tough decisions I expect him to pick the best team available .

Ok Bob - here's one for you. Gus puts Muir straight back in the team, thereby denting Murphy's confidence and probably pissing him off into the bargain. Assuming that Murphy now has pals in the team, some of whom turned down pro offers (unlike Muir) to stay with Queens for the challenge of keeping us up this season, they'll be a bit pissed off too. Others who are new signings this season will start to wonder whether their places in the team are secure, even if they've been playing well and haven't done anything to deserve being dropped.

We are not Barcelona where players understand the need for a manager to make ruthless decisions. We are an amateur team where our players may harbour ambitions of becoming professionals, but for now they are playing for enjoyment rather than money, and therefore they need to be treated a little bit differently which is where this will be a test of Gus's man-management skills.

It's probably lucky for Gus that we playing an Irn Bru cup-tie tomorrow because if he makes half a dozen changes to bring in fringe players then he'll get away with playing Wullie too. However, even if Muir has a blinder tomorrow, I'd hope that Gus would put him back on the bench with the other squad players for the trip to Peterhead and keep Murphy as his first choice for the time being. As BYOS highlights that allows Muir time to integrate with our new signings get his head straight again, and once Murphy shows signs of losing his form, then he can bring Muir in with no harm done.

You might rightly argue that Muir is the better 'keeper, but we don't know what damage changing a winning and settled defence might do, so for me it's by far a more risky approach for Gus to adopt your preferred strategy.

I see Smart Osadolar has left East Kilbride within about a week of joining them from Stranraer. Glasgow based and was quite handy for a goal with Annan last season. Very quick, if I recall correctly. Maybe worth a look.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived