Queen's Park FC 2016/17 Thread

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, understand what you are saying, but photos of Woods, McGeever, Burns and McKernon. If they were to move, would not have done so by now?

In all probability Allan then "yes", but through the years there have been plenty of players who have pre-seasoned with us and only signed on a few days before the first competitive game once they've finally realised that no-one's coming for them (there are several clubs still hunting down players and if they don't get their first or second choices or have serious injuries in pre-season friendlies then offers could still come our players' way). It's a two -way street as Queen's also realise that the best way of retaining these players is to allow them to do their pre-season training with us rather than with someone else (although we always drew the line on letting unsigned players go on pre-season tours with us).

Historically we used to provide a list of re-signed players at the same time as revealing the ones who were leaving, and then by comparing both lists with the previous season's squad you could quickly work out who the undecided ones were. The difference nowadays is that either through laziness or cautiousness, it looks like we'll not get any official confirmation until next month. That's the Club's perogative of course, but the absence of any formal notification just leads to speculation and guesswork rather than informed discussion.

We'll find out when they are good and ready to tell us, and whilst we now know more about the reasons for delaying announcements about new signings, the justification for holding back news of re-signings still escapes me I'm afraid.

I can understand the cloak and dagger approach with players but it is disappointing we can't at least put a note on the club website of our pre-season games. By this time, people are choking to go to a game of any description. We know they are friendlies and we won't be watching the finished article but if we're interested enough we'll go. Last year I saw us play East Kilbride at K Park. I stay in EK and the only reason I knew about the game was because it was mentioned in the sports section of our local paper. 

The fact that Murrphy, Miller & Watt are listed also poo-poos the 1st July theory, so whilst it's great that we finally have some news, we're back to square one again as far as determining why it's taken so long to produce this initial list.

Wharton's absence is indeed a concern, but as I highlighted in my previous post it's not uncommon for our better players to keep their options right up to the final training session before the start of the season. Also in the "missing" category are Conor McVey, Scott Gibson & John Carter, and I'm also curious to know whether we're standing by Kenny Mackay or whether we've ditched him. Anyone know if any of these five players have been training with us or not?

The fact that Murrphy, Miller & Watt are listed also poo-poos the 1st July theory, so whilst it's great that we finally have some news, we're back to square one again as far as determining why it's taken so long to produce this initial list.

Wharton's absence is indeed a concern, but as I highlighted in my previous post it's not uncommon for our better players to keep their options right up to the final training session before the start of the season. Also in the "missing" category are Conor McVey, Scott Gibson & John Carter, and I'm also curious to know whether we're standing by Kenny Mackay or whether we've ditched him. Anyone know if any of these five players have been training with us or not?

Kenny Mackay, forgot about him. As much use as Lawrence Shankland when gardener played him on the wing.

Kenny Mackay, forgot about him. As much use as Lawrence Shankland when gardener played him on the wing.

Well it wasn't exactly Mackay's fault that he suffered a serious injury in training not longafter signing for us. Would love him to get fit and re-sign as I'm sure he would prove to be very useful indeed. No idea if he's been in for pre-season but I know Gibson has

I'm sure Gus is doing all he can to get the players required for League 1 into the squad and I trust that he will. Wouldn't be surprised if we got a player or two on loan again

As with previous years, we'll probably still be signing guys after the season starts.  Unsigned players hold out for a professional deal (and who can blame them?)  but may still come to us if they don't get anything reasonable offered to them.  The early start to the season may actually work in our favour as lads try to get fixed up for the start of the competitive fixtures.  Expect the first XI we see to be changed a bit when the League fixtures start.  The League Cup and the Irn Bru Cup will be extended pre-season stuff for us as Gus tries to establish his best side.

I sleep soundly in the knowledge that he has made some excellent signings since he's arrived; look where we were when he arrived and how quickly he turned it around.  I'm not that bothered to hear who has signed so far; it'll be another month before it all settles down.  If Gus wants to keep it quiet re signings, for whatever reason, that's Ok with me.

As regards pre-season matches, Lesser isn't a registered ground, so we can't charge cash for matches and can't advertise them as open to the public.  That's unfortunate, but them's the rules.

From what I heard, Mackay won't be playing football again.  I would say that he did look the part on the few occasions I saw him.

As regards pre-season matches, Lesser isn't a registered ground, so we can't charge cash for matches and can't advertise them as open to the public.  That's unfortunate, but them's the rules.

Nothing unfortunate at all, who the f**k wants to pay to watch training matches? I imagine though if anyone wants to see them then they can "head down to the social club" as usual

I know were playing the shire on the 5th of july at lesser but does anyone know any of our other pre season fixtures?

Will this be open to the public as I have family visiting and one of them used to follow Queen's Park everywhere before they moved away and it would be good if he could get a long to watch this

Archived