CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

Just seen that Derek Riordan is looking for a club in Scotland. Apparently keen for one last shot to prove his doubters wrong.

Worth a punt?

Longworth and Riordan would certainly be an exciting front two!

Absolutely not , ask the east Fife fans

Riordan is done how he got a full time gig at York only McNamara knows.

Longworth I would imagine most of the lower leagues and juniors will be after. Heavily linked with East Kilbride wouldn't be overly shocked to see him at Clyde.

Is Gemmell staying or going to Stirling?

Heard he's off to Stirling. No idea whether we had offered him anything, my gut instinct says we didn't. Who knows...

Longworth... If we get him then this will be me after reading the news attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1463599071.011674.jpg

That would be every Clyde fan 😂😂 The amount he fucking scored against us it would be nice to have him on our side

Jamesy, please don't get involved with these ruffians. If CST is a bigger Clyde fan than most he must be some size and it seems he is also an actor (closet QP fan perhaps) which is a dangerous mixture.

am no involved toc we are clyde just a keyboard warrior and no afraid of him or anyone else am a real clyde fan and dont care if thay dont like me i say as it is an tuf tits if thay dont like it best of luck in legue 1 next year we will be up next year as champs

am no involved toc we are clyde just a keyboard warrior and no afraid of him or anyone else am a real clyde fan and dont care if thay dont like me i say as it is an tuf tits if thay dont like it best of luck in legue 1 next year we will be up next year as champs

how long do you spend going over your posts making sure there are enough spelling mistakes in them?   

I’m not Barry Ferguson and I’m not going to pretend to be. I’ve had a good think about this over the last few days though, so here is my opinion on the season just past and on what I think we need to do this summer.

1. Five key positions.

It’s common knowledge that to mould a good team then you require the following; a strong goalkeeper, a dominant centre half, a player with the ability to open up space through dribbling ability and two goalscorers (in the modern day most teams look for a striker/midfielder combination).

Last summer, we managed to assemble a team who had a decent level of centre half and none of the others. Scott Ferguson came back into some form that was ended with an unfortunate injury, whilst Scott Linton stepped up to the plate with a decent goal return in a more advanced role. We gambled on Campbell/Higgins turning into goal-scorers playing at a lower level when their history suggested otherwise. No disrespect to Chris Mitchell who was consistently good for us, but we wasted money on a top level right back when we had players who could fill in there and enable us to spend a bit more money on a goalkeeper/winger/striker.

If you want a fair idea of whether we’ll win the league at the end of the summer, then weigh up our squad against what I’ve said above. It’s no surprise that East Fife kicked into gear when they added a good goalkeeper to Page, Wilkie, Austin and Insall/Smith. I’ve not seen any proof we’ve signed Hart and I think he’s destined for a higher level but he’d be a terrific addition.

2. You are only as good as your weakest player.

Whilst talking up the value of those five players, it is of course fair to argue that you are only as good as the weakest player in your team. There’s a couple of books give convincing arguments as such. Whilst I’d fully advocate spending good money on the five key positions, you need to do a job filling up the rest of the squad. It’s why we were always destined for a poor season in 14/15 because Duffy had resigned a bunch of passengers; he rewarded the weakest players in our squad and left himself/BF little wiggle room in term of wages to actually improve the team.

Unfortunately, last season we had a number of players who were carried along by the performances of others when winning, and who were woefully exposed in defeat. Gibson, Durie, Andrews, Scott McLaughlin (good at times but a passenger when games became stretched). The misfiring striking quartet of Higgins, Campbell, Watson and Gormley are a given. I’d get rid of all of them (Campbell having already left). I’d possibly include Marsh in that as well, although his decent goal return, versatility and athleticism would indicate he’s worth keeping even if he had more than his share of poor games.

I like the additions of McNeil and Lowden at full-back providing we haven’t blown big money on them. Good upgrades, though I’d prefer to have kept McMann if possible.  Not at all convinced that signing Waters would be a good idea given that he’s not quite good enough to be first choice and an U19 player can easily be the back-up ‘keeper.

3. Key principles of play (depth, width, mobility, improvisation, surprise).

Perhaps the most disappointing thing was that it was obvious that we were too one-paced, even from the first couple of friendly matches. We recovered to some extent by moving Linton forward and re-introducing Scott Ferguson, whilst adding Kirkpatrick gave us a late season boost but the fact is, any team sitting deep against us had to make a serious mistake for us to score, or for us to nick a goal from a set piece.

It was no surprise that we ended up resorting to the longer ball, as it was always going to be more effective. People get hung up on it as they remember the times it doesn’t work, rather than the set pieces and chances which did come about from that tactic. What’s the point passing the ball nicely if you’re not able to move the opposition out of position? We’d have been nowhere near the playoffs if we’d tried to play decent football with that squad and it was good that BF realised that eventually.

With all this in mind, the confirmed signings (Johnston, Lowden, McNeil) all give us aspects that we missed greatly last season; a lot more width and definitely a lot more mobility. Not heard anything concrete about Flynn but he’d fit perfectly in midfield. I’d also keep Gemmell as he does offer a bit of improvisation at times and I don’t think he was anywhere near fit. As much as anything, defenders are petrified when they see him walking out the tunnel.

I’d be disappointed if we didn’t retain Ross Millen as his ability to switch play will be far more useful with those different options.

4. My squad:

Good goalkeeper

Young goalkeeper (McMillan?)

Smith

Marko

First choice centre half

Lowden
McNeil

Marsh

Millen

Linton

Ferguson

Kirkpatrick

Goalscoring midfielder

McGovern

Johnston

Pacy Striker

Creative Striker

Gemmell

Put that together (and I appreciate that finding goalkeepers/strikers is difficult at the part-time level), then I’d have us as strong favourites for the title, with our main weakness, ironically, being a lack of height and physicality. It's a gamble and on our budget you have to go one way or the other. We’d probably pick up less points away from home but would definitely get more at Broadwood as we'd use the big pitch better. Would play some decent football as well.

how long do you spend going over your posts making sure there are enough spelling mistakes in them?   

am dyslexic pal and don't really care what anyone thinks about my spelling but from now on i will take my time and use spell checker are you happy now pal

Can't argue with any of what David said - for the areas yet to be filled, I'd (like to/think we will) see:

Good GK: Hart

Young GK: McMillan

Starting CB: McNiff

Goalscoring CM: Flynn

Pacy CF: Watson

Creative CF: Longworth

I'd love for us to keep Gemmell, but it sounds almost certain that he'll be away. Unless Barry's got a replacement up his sleeve, it'd be bitterly disappointing if we haven't at least offered him a contract. Should he be moving on, I'd like to see us go all out to try and sign Longworth, but I suspect he'll have ambitions (and offers) above League 2.

In any case, I suspect we'll end up needing at least two new strikers. Watson, if not on too much, would be worth another deal and would no doubt be better suited to playing in a less one-dimensional team. I noticed the other day that Chris Duggan's been released by Thistle, and based on the two times I saw him at the tail end of the season, I think he'd be a good addition.

Looking forward to the signing announcements, when they come; it's certainly better than the Duffy days, when we'd be waiting for two months on new signings being announced. Then, on a mid-July day, following a 2-2 friendly draw against Stenny, we'd end up reading of the signings of a young ex-Morton winger, some complete unknowns from the juniors/amateurs and a player who appeared to have gone into hiding by August and whose release was never formally announced.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

What a fud

Do fellow Clyde fans not realise this Jamesy character is a QPSAVirgin alias?? Wouldn't surprise me is TOC is part of the same circle of Virgins...

It is just impossible that Jamesy is anything other than he seems. He is the only Clyde fan who seems to understand what Clyde need and are capable of.

Why is it that when he tells it as it is all the chest thumpers appear. Be very careful Jamesy or the Cumbernauld KKK will be at your door.

Do fellow Clyde fans not realise this Jamesy character is a QPSAVirgin alias?? Wouldn't surprise me is TOC is part of the same circle of Virgins...

haha the TOC/Jamesy aliases have been worked far too hard in the last few days.  embarrassing

It is just impossible that Jamesy is anything other than he seems. He is the only Clyde fan who seems to understand what Clyde need and are capable of.

Why is it that when he tells it as it is all the chest thumpers appear. Be very careful Jamesy or the Cumbernauld KKK will be at your door.

Still here? 🙄