CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

Can anyone remember how many BF said he was running with next season , He did say he was cutting the numbers but to ..???

He said we'd have a bigger squad this year.

Can anyone remember how many BF said he was running with next season , He did say he was cutting the numbers but to ..???

I and he said he was going for more pace and re signs Mclaughlin in midfield😂

All season most were saying midfield lacked pace apart from Flynn it's the exact same as last season well can look forward to Mclaughlin slowing everything down again next season

Enjoy

We have two far quicker full backs signed along with Fergie back & Johnston so there is more pace in the side plus Flynn will help out.

I and he said he was going for more pace and re signs Mclaughlin in midfield

I wouldn't have kept him but I'm not overly bothered that we have. He was fine in the last part of the season with Marsh, Linton and Kirkpatrick playing alongside him in midfield but it's imperative that he plays in a deeper role (probably as back-up to McGovern). If he's playing further forward and needing to close people down then that's a mistake.

I thought he said he was reducing numbers but increasing Quality at Rutherglen night....???

Nope. I think he was referring to last season when he said that. He said he was going to spread the wages out a bit more by signing some younger players as he felt we needed more competition for places.

We have two far quicker full backs signed along with Fergie back & Johnston so there is more pace in the side plus Flynn will help out.

So where does Mclaughlin and Marsh fit into team are we playing 13 players every game ?

Sorry guys but see this s*** so and so played well later Part of the season have a look at the last 8 games of the season the two Elgin games seems to have blinded the problems we had especially midfield

Oh and now Gibson is a good goalkeeper maybe have a look back through the highlights of the season

So where does Mclaughlin and Marsh fit into team are we playing 13 players every game ?

The great thing is that I can't see what our best eleven will be next season. Plenty of options and a few players who can play different roles. I can only imagine another striker (not Gemmell), a centre half and a creative midfielder will also come in. Would be happy to keep Millen but in my opinion he'd purely be making our squad stronger (much stronger in fact), rather than the starting eleven.

Sorry guys but see this s*** so and so played well later Part of the season have a look at the last 8 games of the season the two Elgin games seems to have blinded the problems we had especially midfield

Oh and now Gibson is a good goalkeeper maybe have a look back through the highlights of the season

Usually when you re-sign players it's based on the whole season & not just a figure like 8 games that's plucked out of thin air.

Usually when you re-sign players it's based on the whole season & not just a figure like 8 games that's plucked out of thin air.

Seriously you think Gibson had a good season you think Mclaughlin deserved to get signed up again JP was excellent but has he another full season in him and apart from maybe a dozen games Higgins contributed very little all about opinions

I thought Gibson was ok, he had a few mistakes in him but at other times he played well. We were spoiled last season having a keeper as good as Alan Martin.

I'm ok with McLaughlin re-signing as he will do a job for us but there is more signings to come so I don't know if he will play as much as he has this season plus we should hopefully have JP back in time for the start of the season.

I wasn't bothered either way about Higgins, I think he struggled at times & it was a shame that as he was getting into his best spell of the season he got injured and wasn't able to contribute in the last month or so of the season.

Reserve judgment till all signings are in I suppose, but will be disappointed if we start season with Gibson as first choice and don't have another forward who has proven he can actually can hit the net at least into double figures in one season.

To the extent that he has brought in as many genuinely quick and pacey players as he has, Ferguson deserves congratulations. And even more for the pedigree of those players (e.g. Flynn).

However, while David W regards as great his own inability to readily select a best-eleven from our prospective squad, I take the opposite view. One could just as easily have taken David's line prior to John Brown's first (complete) season, after all. Indeed, I recall David and many others saying more-or-less the same thing then as now. Most memorably in the wake of signings like Trouten and Kettlewell.

To put it another way, I would be more encouraged if I was reading about a growing squad which, notwithstanding its size, appeared to lend itself to a particular way of playing. In that circumstance one could have real confidence in the vision of the manager.

I think it's worth saying (repeating) the following too. Nothing has been said on this thread about the possibility of bringing in a genuine midfield-general. Someone bigger than McGovern, nimbler than Marsh and more powerful than McLaughlin. Unfortunately I think we have, as a support, forgotten that such a class of player exists. And there is something ironic about that, isn't there? Given the salient role such players have had in our downfall (through the years: Neil MacFarlane at QoS, Gary Fusco at Brechin, Brown Ferguson at Alloa).

Another worry for me is how at ease we are with 'versatility'. We're too accustomed to the idea. Better to keep versatility to a minimum; limited to one or two known bench-warmers. Legitimising versatility has led to some ridiculous sights in years gone by: Pat Scullion playing everywhere, Alan Trouten playing as a wing-back, Brian McQueen playing as a forward, Steven Brisbane as a full-back and so on.

Lastly, counter-intuitive though it may seem, a side can have too much pace; it might zip up the park in a matter of seconds, but if it loses possession outside the opposition's box, for example, and it hasn't the proper security, the opposition might counter-attack and end up getting a free charge right at the last line. It's absolutely of the essence that we have a Gandalf-type in the way of that. Perhaps McGovern/McLaughlin could do it, on instruction. However, what they won't do is all the other generalissimo stuff. Neither player is imposing enough to really boss a midfield. So it is clear, at least to me, that we need another player there and not another attacking midfielder who can operate without any ball-winning and defensive responsibilities.

That we all aren't absolutely itching to keep Gemmell dismays me. For how long were we without such a player? We'd be mad not to keep him on.

Edited by Sao Paulo