CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

The manager and players are responsible for their performances. Blaming the board gives them an excuse.

All clubs at this level require fans to fundraise. I'm grateful to any fan and board member that assists the club.

Maybe the club could not afford to sack Ferguson. Should we have taken the risk?

Maybe the club could not afford to appoint a replacement.

The board make mistakes. All boards make mistakes.

We have a new chairman, who many think will bring new ideas.

I'm awaiting the announcements that I hope are positive and exciting.

Season tickets same price and you can pick up sponsor shirts soon , hope you can contain your excitement [emoji23]

19 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

So the club were a couple of goals away from dropping into the play offs with every possibility of going out the league and the club is being run at its optimum emoji23.png

Another case of you either not reading a post, or understanding its content. I didn't say any of that at all.

I'll try again though with an example. Don't assume I'm talking about Clyde. Let's say there's a director whose role is community involvement. He does that job well; as well as he or anyone else possibly can. Can you explain to me why he should be ousted because the first team is playing poorly? 

2 minutes ago, Elementary Penguin said:

Personally, if i were a minted chairman/owner of a club, then yes....i'd be buying the players, and paying them, so i'd be fucked allowing a simple manager to spunk my prospective weans' inheritance on shite.....if he canny manage my players, i'll sack him!!

This obviously doesn't apply here, but there was no chain of command overseeing Ferguson whatsoever. Maybe the club didn't feel it necessary....THAT'S a mere mistake, with a rookie manager. It happens. But he should have been sacked on at least four occasions....he clearly had no KPI or performance monitor, other than the league table......and they say the fans are fickle!! A Director of Football is a much more important appointment than a manager. Far more so. 

EP, I suspect the problem with Ferguson was two fold. Firstly, sacking him would have cost a right few bob. Money the club probably didn't have. Secondly, I'm sure he brought in a decent amount of sponsorship money compared to what others might have done. Ferguson therefore probably had the club by the balls. 

Doesnt make the lack of action right of course but one might be able to understand it. What I really don't understand though is the fact that the board apparently tried to talk him out of resigning after the Annan game. That, if true, is complete madness. 

Another case of you either not reading a post, or understanding its content. I didn't say any of that at all.
I'll try again though with an example. Don't assume I'm talking about Clyde. Let's say there's a director whose role is community involvement. He does that job well; as well as he or anyone else possibly can. Can you explain to me why he should be ousted because the first team is playing poorly? 

Ok the club has avoided the play offs by the skin of their teeth is basically a total shambles and there is no evidence to say it's senior management are to blame.

I was accused of shooting fish in a barrel a few pages back. I say if you don't like being shot, stay out of the barrel.

Like most of us, I've no idea what it takes to be effective on the board of a football club. Only two things have worried me re recent board behaviour. First, the apparent reluctance of the board to see Barry leave. Second, the new Chairman's comment re bringing in experience to help out McGovern and McDonald; we never managed that. He probably shouldn't have got our hopes up by raising the possibility. That said, we weren't in a great position to attract experience, and he's just new in the job himself, so. I think it'd be harsh if we piled into him so hastily.

2 hours ago, sydney said:

EP, I suspect the problem with Ferguson was two fold. Firstly, sacking him would have cost a right few bob. Money the club probably didn't have. Secondly, I'm sure he brought in a decent amount of sponsorship money compared to what others might have done. Ferguson therefore probably had the club by the balls. 

Doesnt make the lack of action right of course but one might be able to understand it. What I really don't understand though is the fact that the board apparently tried to talk him out of resigning after the Annan game. That, if true, is complete madness. 

I don't think the board ever had any intention of sacking him, even if finances did allow. They seemed to back him to the hilt despite all the evidence pointing to him being an utter shitehawk. That, for me, was disgraceful. Coming out and saying there was no problem with the fact we hadn't won in something like 7 games because we were still in a playoff place, and 'reluctantly accepting' his resignation based on an extended cup run  (which let's face it, was hardly the most taxing run of fixtures in the first place) were both utterly ridiculous positions to take when we were staring into the abyss. 

There seems to be a suggestion that the board should be left alone because of all the work they do behind the scenes which is ridiculous. There's no doubt that their actions (or lack of) resulted in us praying Cowden didn't sneak a late winner to condemn us to the play offs. Everyone from the board to the players should be taking some collective responsibility for that. That's not to take away from the no doubt important work that does get done behind closed doors but they fucked up big time with this and should at least hold their hands up and admit it.

8 hours ago, Aidan said:

Even ignoring the whole is he/isn't he a rapist pish, the Clyde love affair with David Goodwillie makes me sick and I hope you get relegated next season x

His goals kept us off bottom. His job is done (unless he wants to hang about next season, which I'd be delighted with). 

11 hours ago, haufdaft said:

The manager and players are responsible for their performances. Blaming the board gives them an excuse.

All clubs at this level require fans to fundraise. I'm grateful to any fan and board member that assists the club.

Maybe the club could not afford to sack Ferguson. Should we have taken the risk?

Maybe the club could not afford to appoint a replacement.

The board make mistakes. All boards make mistakes.

We have a new chairman, who many think will bring new ideas.

I'm awaiting the announcements that I hope are positive and exciting.

And who appointed the manager who then signed the players?  The problem wasn't effort, it was lack of ability in most cases.

True, but they shouldn't be largely reliant on it for funds

Little doubt, due to a ridiculous contract

As above

Indeed.  But when it's a regular occurence year on year it's more than just a one off. Mistakes from time to time don't bother me, the lack of sufficient skillset does.

We have a new project manager for project re-location.  His time will be taken up with that as it's his area of expertize.  We'll need more.

Aren't we all

Season 16/17 isn't in isolation, it's just the latest episode. 

And who appointed the manager who then signed the players? 

And who voted to retain the board?

I agree many mistakes have been made. All boards make them. The hiring of Ferguson was a big one. I didn't agree with it at the time but gave him my support when it was a done deal.

However, I think that if we had been promoted this season we would not have heard so many complaints about the board.

The failure to secure promotion was the fault of the manager and squad.

The board are at fault for Ferguson's hiring and retention. They are also responsible the perception of some fans that they have been disenfranchised. This is entirely the boards fault.

Perhaps the new chairman will bring in new blood that will allow all Clyde fans to get behind the club and the board.

Here's hoping

45 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

And who voted to retain the board?

I agree many mistakes have been made. All boards make them. The hiring of Ferguson was a big one. I didn't agree with it at the time but gave him my support when it was a done deal.

However, I think that if we had been promoted this season we would not have heard so many complaints about the board.

The failure to secure promotion was the fault of the manager and squad.

The board are at fault for Ferguson's hiring and retention. They are also responsible the perception of some fans that they have been disenfranchised. This is entirely the boards fault.

Perhaps the new chairman will bring in new blood that will allow all Clyde fans to get behind the club and the board.

Here's hoping

A small percentage of the overall ownership is the answer as that reflects the reality of the system as opposed to the presented perception.  For most, ownership is of sentimental value - AGM attendance figures would suggest that alone.  Football is supposed to be an escape from the working week, not a defaulted extension of it by assumed responsibility due to a system implemented that nobody ever voted for in the first place.

I expect boards to make mistakes from time to time as we're all human, and it happens.  But I suspect those who claim never to have made a mistake, or at least never admit to it.  That in itself lacks credibility.  I'm more interested in what can be added to meet what we need rather than removing anyone - bean counters will still play a role.

I agree with the appointment of a new chairman, but as a start, not an means to an end, but let's see what happens on that one.

So yeah, here's hoping. 

22 hours ago, sydney said:

Announcement on the official site about a series of announcements coming up. New manager the first of them perhaps ? 

When is the next announcement, will there be an announcement to announce it, or will it just announced without prior announcement?

20 hours ago, Elementary Penguin said:

Yes. Syd, i completely understand the 'How'. We all knew that......and, ironically, when he was linked with Accies, St. Mirren and QoS jobs, i was more concerned that we'd lose out in more ways than just a decent manager.....it didn't seriously occur to me until it was too late (which i actually would forgive the club for 100% if they showed ANY feeling over it at all), that we were indeed, fucked. It's the 'Why' which i simply refuse to allow to pass here. What prize was on offer to allow one man, let alone a rookie manager, to have us by the balls? Nothing is worth that. We're constantly told that no man could ever just 'take over the club' or whatever, even if that man were a minted Clyde supporter, as a feature of the club structure. But it was alright for Barry Fucking Ferguson to be 'that guy'......i don't think so. Prepare the gallows. 

Good point. Unfortunately though, I suspect we will never get to know the real answer to the 'Why' question. What I do find baffling is that the club tried to talk him out of resigning after the Annan game. At that point, even the most optimistic fan must have realised we were heading for a relegation fight, yet the delusional talk from the club still seemed to be around still being in the running for a play off spot. 

When is the next announcement, will there be an announcement to announce it, or will it just announced without prior announcement?

Perhaps international clearance hasn't came through for our new manager yet.

Good point. Unfortunately though, I suspect we will never get to know the real answer to the 'Why' question. What I do find baffling is that the club tried to talk him out of resigning after the Annan game. At that point, even the most optimistic fan must have realised we were heading for a relegation fight, yet the delusional talk from the club still seemed to be around still being in the running for a play off spot. 

What you mean they might have had a plan ? Doubt that very much only reason I can think is they wanted BF to bankroll another round of players in the New Year

That seemed to be the only strategy for the last three years

1 minute ago, cfcuk said:

What you mean they might have had a plan ? Doubt that very much only reason I can think is they wanted BF to bankroll another round of players in the New Year

That seemed to be the only strategy for the last three years

You do realise that permitting that, is against the rules and would have cost a points deduction and fine. Pretty sure the accounts are available at agm's and such also.

Time to draw a line under the whole season, the former manager, and look forward to next season, as It cant get any worse.

Time to draw a line under the whole season, the former manager, and look forward to next season, as It cant get any worse.

I couldn't agree more.

Until, of course, the announcements​are the re-signing of Higgins and McLaughlin on two year contracts

17 minutes ago, Elementary Penguin said:

That'll be why the silence has been defeaning, then. 

No. A line will not be drawn. This cannot be allowed to happen ever again, for the reasons that it did. 

Well with your permission I would trust someone like David Dishon and even the club whose accounts get published to do it properly.

and with your permission, YES I WILL draw a line and move forward 

Edited by Clydeontheup