CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

Junior and perry both need binned. Any sentimental memories of previous form need put aside. He was a horror show this season. Somebody even said keep him as we don't have any other cbs. Good, get some signed during the summer that actually fit the description.

I'm in shock people want to keep Smith. Let's be honest the deference has been a shambles all season. He has been part of that. Last year how he got player of the year was laughable. The defence was a shambles then until Marko got involved. We do have about 3 players who played this year we should try and keep. Please remember this squad got us into this mess so please don't sign to many of them back on.

Two new centre halves for the best XI. We'd be accepting defensive vulnerability otherwise. One would be Waddell, ideally. And another very experienced centre-back alongside him; a leader. Bryn Halliwell's still around. I don't see why we couldn't ask him back in goals. Gourlay would be worth asking Dundee for another shot of, just like Waddell.

New left-back. Lowden's rep is built on nothing. I want a more aggressive and powerful player in there. McNeil's a shoe-in for right-back. McMillan and Finnie have been humped playing all over the shop. The former is a better full-back than this league, just like McNeil. Be excellent cover for both sides. Might even have him on the left before Lowden. Coming inside on his right and feeding Easton etc. That'd be useful once in while. Think we'd want width as a Plan A though.

We need, before anything else, a ball-winning midfielder: a powerful, energetic player that'll win first and seconds and take play from the middle. Stevie Masterton on brave pills; JP McGovern with an outboard on his arse. Important that we've an experienced head in there too if the ball-winner isn't one himself. If we don't have those skills, Easton's out on his feet. And it's just not right to have him benched. I'd want us to be able to have just two in the middle of the park, one being Easton. Means the other player has to be a great one too. Could Linton do it? Wouldn't take the gamble. It'd need to be a three in that circumstance. Probably wind up with Easton's style being cramped by a third player; packing-out an area which we'd want him to have space in. I don't want wing-backs; don't get proper good ones at this level very often. First they giveth (up-top) and then they take away (at the back). Or the other way round. But...! If we'd a Scott McMann - a full time loan player - on each side that might do it.

New left mid. Or just use Lowden/Linton there. New right mid. Partner for Goodwillie. Sorted. Be to our advantage if we can get some full-time loans. Especially in the winter and last third. Where the league is won/lost.

Edited by Sao Paulo

52 minutes ago, GYSPY ARMY said:

I'm in shock people want to keep Smith. Let's be honest the deference has been a shambles all season. He has been part of that. Last year how he got player of the year was laughable. The defence was a shambles then until Marko got involved. We do have about 3 players who played this year we should try and keep. Please remember this squad got us into this mess so please don't sign to many of them back on.

The "deference" for years is the problem...but to the team ;)

On assumption Gourlay goes back to Dundee, we're a keeper down. In terms of an actual defender, we've one, McNeil

Lowdon said himself his strength was going forward. I'd put him in midfield. The rest of the defenders you can bin, just not good enough by some distance

We've some useful midfielders. Could use a dominant ballwinner to play alongside guys like Linton, Flynn, Easton etc

If we keep Goodwillie, could use another forward. Gormley's useful as a sub with energy

Then of course a proper manager. But being able to attract the calibre needed will come down to the strength of the club. All of that needs addressed and quickly. Only two months or so until it starts all over again

We cannot complain about lack of mobility in midfield and keep McLaughlin.
We need pace, movement and ability in the midfield. I'm not sure he offers any of the three

Don't understand any desire to keep Higgins. He has shown very little this season. Gormley flattered to deceive. Puts in a lot of effort but inability to control the ball and hold it up was s real problem along, of course, with his dreadful scoring record.

Selected (partial) posts from me a year ago on this thread.

As such, I'd like to apply for the managers job. I can't spot a good player but I can spot a shit one.

This alone makes me better than Barry Ferguson (who's contact was extended)

Good to see the absolute disgrace of a season has been erased a couple of centre half's a midfield ball winner and everything at the club is ok .thought this would happen before yesterday it was change needed right though the club now it's three or four players nobody now interested why the people running the club allowed it to come to scrambling about for a draw on the last game of the season at Montrose to save us from a play off
Well unless you get radical change in the management of the club we will be back there in the not to distant future.

26 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

Good to see the absolute disgrace of a season has been erased a couple of centre half's a midfield ball winner and everything at the club is ok .thought this would happen before yesterday it was change needed right though the club now it's three or four players nobody now interested why the people running the club allowed it to come to scrambling about for a draw on the last game of the season at Montrose to save us from a play off
Well unless you get radical change in the management of the club we will be back there in the not to distant future.

We all know you are obsessed but the difference is we can all see the players on the pitch. I can say let Higgins go, or keep Gormley as I know what they do well and what they can't do. Others can argue for the same reason. I probably couldn't name all of our directors never mind comment on their abilities.

No-one bar a few peddle the "sack the board" mantra because it's nonsense. There could well be a number of things which the current directors do very well; there might be three Eastons and a couple of McLaughlins in there. An outstanding accountant maybe, or fundraiser. We don't necessarily see that. Why would you want their skills to be left on a scrapheap? Just like a new manager with his players, the new chairman needs the chance to give them direction, improve communication and then move out anyone not pulling their weight.

25 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

Can't wait

Quite looking forward to seeing how the club reacts to this season's shambles to be honest. New chairman, maybe new ideas, fresh approach, etc.. Lets hope so anyway. 

38 minutes ago, sydney said:

Announcement on the official site about a series of announcements coming up. New manager the first of them perhaps ? 

Got that wrong then. First announcement relates to next year's season tickets :lol:

You should already know these things. The last decent fundraiser was ran by supporters themselves, very well too. The last club fundraiser? No one got their fucking jerseys until Christmas!! 
And wasn't the biggest 'fund-raiser', not the guy in the dugout for eight months, who the club were feart to sack?
These are basics. Its pointless arguing with you over Ferguson, being how spoiled we were with him, but the inaction in sacking him when they ought to have done, is the reason everyone was shitting themselves about a stupid bloody football team. Its way beyond the players; i almost, almost feel sorry for them in that they were left with scraping together some sort of identity throughout all this, which they were completely incapable and disinterested in doing.....after all, they're only footballers and employees, and are actually meant to enjoy the games too. A new manager, replacing the failed one, may have given us a chance to compete and weedle out the shite, instead of tolerating it until the 'end of the season'....on that score, they FAILED to act in the PRIMARY interest of the football club, and for that should be hounded out the door. 

Bean counters are ten a penny. What we've witnessed is what happens when you leave them in charge of the whole operation. 

The manager and players are responsible for their performances. Blaming the board gives them an excuse.

All clubs at this level require fans to fundraise. I'm grateful to any fan and board member that assists the club.

Maybe the club could not afford to sack Ferguson. Should we have taken the risk?

Maybe the club could not afford to appoint a replacement.

The board make mistakes. All boards make mistakes.

We have a new chairman, who many think will bring new ideas.

I'm awaiting the announcements that I hope are positive and exciting.

We all know you are obsessed but the difference is we can all see the players on the pitch. I can say let Higgins go, or keep Gormley as I know what they do well and what they can't do. Others can argue for the same reason. I probably couldn't name all of our directors never mind comment on their abilities.
No-one bar a few peddle the "sack the board" mantra because it's nonsense. There could well be a number of things which the current directors do very well; there might be three Eastons and a couple of McLaughlins in there. An outstanding accountant maybe, or fundraiser. We don't necessarily see that. Why would you want their skills to be left on a scrapheap? Just like a new manager with his players, the new chairman needs the chance to give them direction, improve communication and then move out anyone not pulling their weight.

So the club were a couple of goals away from dropping into the play offs with every possibility of going out the league and the club is being run at its optimum [emoji23]

We signed nine fucking players after the January report of tough financial goings on, on top of being unable to sack a manager. Nine!!

I agree with you about the extension to Ferguson's contact. At the time I thought it was a strange decision.

With regards to the number of signings, the board are there to manage finance in such a way to support the manager. The absolute dross we signed with that money is entirely Ferguson's responsibility. Do we want the board getting involved with player selection?

It's been a horrible season that we are all glad it's over. I think everyone at the club need to up their game.