CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

Can't bring myself to go next week....Got a sick feeling in my gut that this current team of wasters are taking Clyde down

They won't save us , it will be Elgin if anybody who will stop us from going down

I wouldn't give them a single penny more

Apart from maybe 5 I would chase the rest of them out of Broadwood with a shitey stick[emoji34]

It would be just if history were to record the period from roughly 2007 to 2017 as Clyde's terminal decade. I implore you all: have a flick through Soccerbase and remind yourselves, by proxy of our old team-sheets, of the arguments had among supporters through the period. It's a profoundly worthwhile exercise.

In 05/06, Graham Roberts arrested what threatened to be a rapid descent into mediocrity. He brought and, more importantly, bound together a squad from which, though its bench and its goalies were weak, a cracking XI could be made. A good player in every position and a good position for every player. Sure, the team lacked a bit of experience and power in the middle of the park; maybe a bit of presence up-top too. But think now about how quickly we'd overlook deficiencies of that kind. And think about how that team compensated with its spirit.

Then there was Joe Miller. He was largely able to reap what he and Roberts had sewn the previous season. However, a close look at his time in charge betrays that the 06/07 season was where both our sclerotic-management problem and supporter-led apologetics movement began. Joe Miller done two indisputably excellent things as our manager: sign Brian Gilmour to play in the hole and sign David Hutton. Everything else? Forget it. The coming to prominence of Andy Ferguson, Gary Arbuckle, Roddy Hunter, Kevin Bradley, Sean McKenna and Ryan McCann. Oh, how we argued about their subtly different shades of intense mediocrity. And how we absolutely knew they were the best we could get. I remember being especially bored by the insistence of one supporter at the time. This was about McCann and his worth as centre-mid. It's a bit like McNiff today, really. Ryan McCann was a midfield compromise. So too is McNiff on any flank, in any spot. That's fundamentally what we were reduced to under Miller: utility-men and compromises; the beginnings of the cancerous any-player-for-any-position mentality can be traced to here.

The Hendry season? Phh. It's enough to remember that it culminated in us - like it or not - being spared the diddy leagues by the man who would go on to be, for my money, the worst manager in our history; the epitome of managerial sclerosis: John Brown. He, of course, went on to doggedly extract every ounce of will from the club and its supporters as it plumbed new depths. And we argued, as the casket was closing, about whether Scott Gair or Mark Casey should start at the back. And whether - my god in heaven - Connor Stevenson and Dave MacKay should get games in what's now the Championship. Laugh it up. Half of you were convinced beyond reason that there was something redeeming about these players...!

Winter '09, Spring '10. Deary me. Two points from a possible thirty. Ferguson material. Little did we know then that, six years later, we'd be "spoiled with Barry". Connor Cassidy, Conn Boyle, Willie Sawyers, John Stewart. Some wrote sympathetic things about them. That's how far the termites had gotten and how long and well they'd dined.

From then until now isn't worth going through. Because, of course, you've already remembered names like Mark Archdeacon, Gavin Brown, Paul Hay, John Sweeney... And some of you are sitting there thinking: "Here, he wasn't bad...". Say hi to Aunt Em for me lads, would you?

There were only so many seasons that could go by... So many 'interesting technical arguments' about the Phil Johnston's and Martin McNiff's of this world before the pyramid had its way with us. And so it will have.

Eternal recovery-pace, grant unto us o' Lord.

It would be just if history were to record the period from roughly 2007 to 2017 as Clyde's terminal decade. I implore you all: have a flick through Soccerbase and remind yourselves, by proxy of our old team-sheets, of the arguments had among supporters through the period. It's a profoundly worthwhile exercise.

In 05/06, Graham Roberts arrested what threatened to be a rapid descent into mediocrity. He brought and, more importantly, bound together a squad from which, though its bench and its goalies were weak, a cracking XI could be made. A good player in every position and a good position for every player. Sure, the team lacked a bit of experience and power in the middle of the park; maybe a bit of presence up-top too. But think now about how quickly we'd overlook deficiencies of that kind. And think about how that team compensated with its spirit.

Then there was Joe Miller. He was largely able to reap what he and Roberts had sewn the previous season. However, a close look at his time in charge betrays that the 06/07 season was where both our sclerotic-management problem and supporter-led apologetics movement began. Joe Miller done two indisputably excellent things as our manager: sign Brian Gilmour to play in the hole and sign David Hutton. Everything else? Forget it. The coming to prominence of Andy Ferguson, Gary Arbuckle, Roddy Hunter, Kevin Bradley, Sean McKenna and Ryan McCann. Oh, how we argued about their subtly different shades of intense mediocrity. And how we absolutely knew they were the best we could get. I remember being especially bored by the insistence of one supporter at the time. This was about McCann and his worth as centre-mid. It's a bit like McNiff today, really. Ryan McCann was a midfield compromise. So too is McNiff on any flank, in any spot. That's fundamentally what we were reduced to under Miller: utility-men and compromises; the beginnings of the cancerous any-player-for-any-position mentality can be traced to here.

The Hendry season? Phh. It's enough to remember that it culminated in us - like it or not - being spared the diddy leagues by the man who would go on to be, for my money, the worst manager in our history; the epitome of managerial sclerosis: John Brown. He, of course, went on to doggedly extract every ounce of will from the club and its supporters as it plumbed new depths. And we argued, as the casket was closing, about whether Scott Gair or Mark Casey should start at the back. And whether - my god in heaven - Connor Stevenson and Dave MacKay should get games in what's now the Championship. Laugh it up. Half of you were convinced beyond reason that there was something redeeming about these players...!

Winter '09, Spring '10. Deary me. Two points from a possible thirty. Ferguson material. Little did we know then that, six years later, we'd be "spoiled with Barry". Connor Cassidy, Conn Boyle, Willie Sawyers, John Stewart. Some wrote sympathetic things about them. That's how far the termites had gotten and how long and well they'd dined.

From then until now isn't worth going through. Because, of course, you've already remembered names like Mark Archdeacon, Gavin Brown, Paul Hay, John Sweeney... And some of you are sitting there thinking: "Here, he wasn't bad...". Say hi to Aunt Em for me lads, would you?

There were only so many seasons that could go by... So many 'interesting technical arguments' about the Phil Johnston's and Martin McNiff's of this world before the pyramid had its way with us. And so it will have.

Eternal recovery-pace, grant unto us o' Lord.

Surely I'm not the only one who imagines this guy bashing away on his keyboard in a cupboard that's now an "office", surrounded by a library of four-four-two magazines and a copy of "Inverting The Pyramid" with post it notes crammed through it?

Remember when we had it so good you could complain about the amount of backspin our keeper could impart from kicking the ball?

15 hours ago, maccanee said:

Surely I'm not the only one who imagines this guy bashing away on his keyboard in a cupboard that's now an "office", surrounded by a library of four-four-two magazines and a copy of "Inverting The Pyramid" with post it notes crammed through it?

No, you're right. I reckon Jim Torbett imagines the same things about boys my age.

15 hours ago, maccanee said:

Remember when we had it so good you could complain about the amount of backspin our keeper could impart from kicking the ball?

J.C. Hutchison, you mean? How could I forget him. Another player we all argued over as though he had any merit whatever. This is the lad who was having defenders hit his kicks at one point they were so awful.

Lay into my language all you like. The more you do it, the more you prove my point. Saving face matters much more to so many of our own than does Clyde winning games.

J.C. Hutchison, you mean? How could I forget him. Another player we all argued over as though he had any merit whatever. This is the lad who was having defenders hit his kicks at one point they were so awful.

Lay into my language all you like. The more you do it, the more you prove my point. Saving face matters much more to so many of our own than does Clyde winning games.

Think you will do well to see me give out much praise on here in recent years, or defend the squad for that matter. Not about saving face at all, I simply don't like the "I told you so" tone of most of your posts, its much easier to be negative about the club these days as the odds are that negativity and pessimism will unfortunately be proven as correct. It's also a bit poor that you are effectively shooting fish in a barrel in order to give the impression that you have a superior knowledge of the game than your Clyde supporting counterparts. Flinging a few phrases in with italics doesn't give your point any more weight as well, just so you know.

If italics gave my opinions greater weight, I'd use them all the time. What a fatuous thing to write.

The 'I told you so' routine is part shtick, part serious. While it runs the risk of inducing reactions like yours, it also stands a chance of discouraging the expression of certain opinions. Opinions of the kind which have anchored us to the bottom for years. If I wanted to be thought of as humble, I wouldn't try this on. Clyde's success matters more to me than being 'the arrogant Sao Paulo' ever will.

That's all well and good, but people's opinions are what gives us a debate or conversation in the first place. It's healthy to have a difference of opinion as that's how pertinent questions and positive solutions are often reached or agreed upon. I agree there are extreme views from time to time but hey, that's the views of an individual and they are entitled to it. I don't think it's your job (or anyone else for that matter) to discourage people from sharing these on an open forum.

You state my comment was fatuous, may I politely point you to your previous post, where you felt it appropriate to make reference to a child abuser?

On 5/2/2017 at 03:11, maccanee said:

John Arroll ??

16 hours ago, maccanee said:

That's all well and good, but people's opinions are what gives us a debate or conversation in the first place. It's healthy to have a difference of opinion as that's how pertinent questions and positive solutions are often reached or agreed upon. I agree there are extreme views from time to time but hey, that's the views of an individual and they are entitled to it. I don't think it's your job (or anyone else for that matter) to discourage people from sharing these on an open forum.

You state my comment was fatuous, may I politely point you to your previous post, where you felt it appropriate to make reference to a child abuser?

You're right. You're right. Let's all just take a moment to utter platitudes and thank heaven we're not Glasgow Celtic Football Club.

You're right. You're right. Let's all just take a moment to utter platitudes and thank heaven we're not Glasgow Celtic Football Club.

In one of the most important weeks in Clyde's history and you're more interested in having a chuckle at child abuse.

You are an annoying little twat. [emoji1360]

Further to my inclusion among The Damned, all i, SP and others who can make themselves available if they wish have done is exactly that....express opinion. To let us go all ZOG Fake News Alerts for a moment, the labelling of opinions as negative in the first instance is as dismissive as rejecting the content. Do we just kid on its not happening? Would people enjoy their shite 90 minutes a lot better without dicks like us, trampling all over the wallowing and refusing to simply roll over and casually accept our demise without at least addressing the culprits and accomplices? 

In this, i'd say Sao Paolo is by far among the most positive of our posters on here, in that this,the present, isnt working for any of us.....and he is one of the few with the balls to address why. Maybe if he had a tie and a blazer on, you'd fucking listen to him. 

Well, you made it to the last line without flinging your usual "you're sheep" accusation. Predictable.

3 hours ago, Clyde soccer trendy said:

[...] more interested in having a chuckle at child abuse.

You are an annoying little twat. emoji1360.png

When our support chanted "Jimmy Savile - he's one of your own!" to Rangers at Ibrox some years back, was that "having a chuckle at child abuse"? No. It was a funny stab at Rangers' establishment connections. And if you disagree you'll have to say that our support was more interested in a having a chuckle at it than they were in us winning matches for literally years.

No problem with personal snipes. Takes a lot to make me cry. But you should realise that most supporters, at this point, are expressing their "interest" in not turning up. That's their shout. I did the same for a couple of years. But I'll be damned if I'm watching us go down, cheered into our casket by the cult of John Sweeney and the cheerleaders of other players unfit for the jersey.