CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

2 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

1. So we have to bin Lowden despite him being the best left back in the league for Arbroath and crocked after a few games for us!
  2. Flynn scored 15 goals from midfield for Annan the season before we signed him. Spent most of this season on the bench thanks to Barry Ferguson but with decent players around him is a capable footballer.
  3. On the other 2 McNiff is average but probably the best CB we have at the club, certainly better than smith or perry. Johnston is shite though.
  4. What has happened to Rutkiewicz btw? Not even in the squad on Saturday!
  1. No idea where the best left back in the league patter's coming from.
  2. I thought it was 14, but no matter. He appeared circa 60 times over the course of the previous two seasons with Annan, scoring 5. I prefer players who're rarely, if ever, described as requiring capable players around them. You'll have to notice that there are some players who we simply never say this about. Not to say that one man is a team.
  3. I'm so pleased someone has described him as a CB. At last...! Although IMO Waddell's a good bit better.
  4. No idea. Was on the sluggish side in any case.

1. Lowden performances for Clyde before his injury showed us what a good player he was. I thought, along with Easton, he was a stand out in our team.

2. Flynn has shown nothing that merits a new contract.

3. McNiff has been one of our better players since Xmas (I'm damning him with feint praise)

4. I forgot he existed.

1. I'll take that as a comment.
  2. Watching him with Arbroath; watching him with us briefly. He's another one of the exaggerati brought in by Barry. Hearsay founds his rep, nothing else.
  3. Getting rid of proven time-over players like Marsh and Gemmell... Signing players who're utter rubbish like Johnston and Brisbane... Keeping players who're album-tracks like Higgins and McLaughlin... I don't follow you at all there, sorry.
  4. Excellent.
  5. Those I picked out, I picked out because they're contracted. Being resigned to another season of Phil Johnston 'because he's contracted' is capitulation before the new season has even begun.
I've got to say, cfcuk, your post is exactly what I mean by us - supporters - being our own worst enemies. We clearly agree on everything but one or two peripheral things (e.g. it wouldn't kill me if Lowden stayed as a second-fiddle left back). But we're consumed by dispute, somehow...!

It's the Clyde way [emoji23]

Goodwillie. Easton. Gourlay. Waddell. McNeil. Lochhead. Linton. MacDonald. McGovern. MacMillan. Ferguson (loyalty bet).

And not another player from the current lot by a long shot. Don't ask me 'What about ...?'. I promise you I wouldn't keep [whoever else] if I had the choice.

Wouldn't start all of those above, of course. And I wouldn't keep one of them if they're going to play all/most of the season out of position (again).

Wouldn't keep Waddell he needs to go back to the under 20's and make errors ( learn from ) in that environment his his mistake kick at Cowdenbeath and and pass against Elgin are two of the worst bits of defending I have seen for a long while (and being a Clyde fan that's saying something) he also continues to give free kicks away around the box
Doubt McDonald will play next season and you could probably add mcgovern to that list so unless it's as managers then don't see the point ( on that subject I wouldn't give them the job)

Would give Flynn and Lowden another season

As far as I'm concerned only players worth a contract are Goodwillie, McNeil, Easton & Lowden. Nice to get the Keeper and Lochead on a season long loan. Would also be ok with Peaso again as a player. Flynn is a difficult one; certainly been big disappointment whether that is because we don't know how to utilise him properly or not I'm not sure but we have not seen anything from him to suggest he worth keeping, McMillan also been huge disappointment for me.  

Of the rest I suppose Quinn, Smith, McNiff, Gormley as squad players bit like to think there are better out there. The rest have been failures, sorry but performances over the a season does not lie. There is a list of absolutely no way players; Gibson, Perry,Higgins, Finney, Fergie (Sorry), Johnston and McKenzie,   

All this academic of course if the unthinkable but very very possible happens and we are a non senior club next year!     

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Warming up nicely for my first home game this season...........

Looking forward to a quality performance from a motivated group and nothing but 100% support from me on the day.

Or silence if it goes really badly.

STAY AWAY

I believe some players have been unable to show their best owing to the fact our team has so many duds who bring them down to their level.
It won't be easy weeding out the ones worth keeping and take us to a better level than this arse end of a dug league.
Don't envy whoever gets the pleasure of trying to do it.

I would really have liked to have seen wee McKenzie get more game time. Fairly certain he could be doing a better job at wing back than Johnston. Seen him play for a few teams against us and he always seemed a nippy wee worker. Shame the gaffer(s) don't seem to like him. Barely even been in the 18 recently.

Lowdon played about 7 games and I don't think he had 1 stand out game all he did was lose position and have wee runs that ended up nowhere, but again I'm sure he'd get better.. Higgins and Finnie have been absolutely brutal this season, I wouldn't even recommend Higgin to a junior team a think he should just call it a day, thought Scott McLaughlin was a bit of a dark horse last season with clever passes and good positioning but this season he's been no where to be seen, I would give Fergie a new deal think since Barry's left he's been better and actually looks like he wants to make a difference at times.. best players have been Gormley and Peaso for me, Goodwillie has looked good as well wouldn't mind keeping him on and long with Easton would be magic 

With the current list on the website, I'd go as follows...

Keep

GK    Kyle Gourlay - Looked good since he came in, a year loan would be beneficial for us and Dundee

GK    Connor Quinn - Only seen him against Ayr away and played a blinder, still young so would be a good #2

DF    Jordan Lowdon - Got him next season anyway, great wee player! Just hope he picks it up quick enough after his lay off.

DF    Ewan McNeil - I believe we also have McNeil for next year, one of our few better performers this year.

MF    Dylan Easton - If we can keep him then that'd be a big signing for us, again like Lowden if he can pick up where he left off from.

MF    Matthew Flynn - I actually really like Flynn, not had the right players around him this season and got fucked about by Ferguson.

MF    Scott Linton - Proven player for us, only downfall is he's injured too much.

MF    Jon Paul McGovern - As a squad player he can be important with his experience in the middle.

FW    David Goodwillie - Keeping him for next season would be the biggest signing in League 2 by a country mile.

FW    David Gormley - He's came on a lot this season and is well worthy of his current goal tally, he's a great #10 type player and will work well with DGW.

FW    Peter MacDonald - Along with DGW and DG this would be a cracking strike force and keep the competition in the squad. If we kept DGW then I imagine Peaso would be a bench player which may suit him with his age.

Maybe

DF    Martin McNiff - He's been hot and cold this season, I think he has shown enough to stay though I think he has a 2 year deal anyway.

MF    Scott Ferguson - A full pre-season and some confidence might be enough for him, atleast a deal to Christmas.

MF    Scott Lochhead - Looks a tidy enough player, not seen enough of him though so I'm saying maybe based on others opinions.

Allow to Leave

GK    John Gibson - Not good enough and we now have better on the books (if we can keep them)

DF    Phil Johnston - Hopefully we can have a mutual agreement to let him go, can skin a man but can't cross or defend.

DF    Michael Oliver - No point keeping him.

DF    Ross Perry - Think we can get better, he started well but has been poor in 2017.

DF    Kevin Rutkiewicz - No point keeping.

DF    Chris Smith - Too overweight and in my opinion not good enough to lead the backline or be part of it, would be happy enough if he became a squad / bench player but I'd hope we can find better elsewhere.

DF    Kerr Waddell - Decent player but prone to stupid mistakes, would benefit from more U20 action with Dundee I think, not with us.

MF    Robbie Davidson - Who?

MF    Ryan Finnie - Not done enough

MF    Michael McGinty - Who?

MF    Scott McLaughlin - He had a belter of a start this season, but like others have said, when it is going our way he is excellent, if it is not he is nowhere to be seen. He's done well enough for us but I'd like to think we could find a better replacement.

MF    Jordan McMillan - Don't think he has done enough to be honest, probably would command a higher wage too.

FW    Sean Higgins - He's past it, started off well this season but done nothing since November.

FW    Marc McKenzie - Wee fanny

Flynn, McGovern, Gormley, Gibson, Johnston, Oliver, Ferguson, Perry, Rutkiewicz, McLaughlin and Higgins - not good enough and should leave the club.

Quinn, Lowden, Easton, MacDonald - should keep if possible.

Lochhead, McNiff, Smith - maybe

MacDonald and McGovern as managers - absolutely not

1 hour ago, LiviClyde said:

I'm sure all our players will be delighted to read all these assessments and show us what they think of them in our crucial match on Saturday.

If you're a footballer who chooses to read a forum discussing your own team you should be able to take or ignore criticism, whether it's deserved or not. Otherwise just don't read it.

3 hours ago, BullyWeeLad said:

Lowdon played about 7 games and I don't think he had 1 stand out game all he did was lose position and have wee runs that ended up nowhere.

Dangerous piece of dissent, that. Actually, let's be fair now. He did get inside the Montrose full-back to put across a good cut-back at Broadwood. You can see that in the Highlights. Anyone peddling the 'best full-back' patter should watch the rest of that highlights package, incidentally. Bailed out by Linton a lot. Easy skinned. Poor positionally.

Edited by Sao Paulo