Sign in to follow this  
clyde123

CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

I wonder what all the "give the guy a break mob" would be saying if cowdenbeath had taken on david BADwillie?

poor poor decision and like always i was going tomorrow, but not a chance in hell now

maybe its an over reaction but i almost hope we get relegated on the back of this

All comforting to the woman he raped I guess.

I'm ashamed of my club tonight.

You obviously have access to evidence that the criminal court did not then to make such a strong allegation?

It's a very murky area in terms of consent being given when the victim is out of their face. Part of me wonders if there would have been an allegation at all if it had been joe bloggs rather than an international footballer.

In terms of the clubs decision, it was always going to come with a hugely negative backlash given the high profile nature of the case and it doesn't sit comfortably with a community and family oriented outlook. On the other hand we are essentially getting a Scottish Premiership standard player for our last 6 games which will surely help on the field.

In my opinion we could have done without the controversy and divisive nature of this decision but let's see how it pans out.

On this occasion I believe Clyde should have tried to repair the mess on the park with the player's that have created that mess. 

Bringing in a player with this sort of allegation hovering over his head I would imagine won't go down well with Fans and probably a good few player's also.

But I suppose it is what it is, six games to save your club and the board have taken an enormous gamble.

Is Goodwillies head going to be 100% on playing football, is he going to help or hinder your Squad?. 

Time will tell.

Virtually every single post made since the announcement of David Goodwillie's signing has been characterised by unmerited certainty. What else? We've had fatuous remarks about Clyde's legal personality; implying that if Clyde were a private limited company, for instance, its employment of a rapist might be more easily excused. And I think there was even a post which implied that the absence of a line on Clyde website's mentioning something like rehabilitation for Goodwillie was disgraceful.

Arrest your determined indignation for a moment. Now realise that the very notion of rehabilitation for a rapist would be nothing short of an insult to the victim. Rapists go to prison. They aren't put through assessments of sexual etiquette and they don't receive information about the legal mechanics of consent but for at trial. In what has long been a terrifyingly strong field, this is an outstanding episode of supporter-led casuistry; an apotheosis moment for idiocy.

The only thing which is truly certain here is that absolutely nobody passing comment will have read the commendably thorough opinion given by Lord Armstrong in the case of Goodwillie and Robertson. It's available here. If you do anything this evening, read it and be convinced one way or the other. And which ever way you are convinced, remember that you were either more or less so after reading it; not before.

For anyone who doesn't think it should be very difficult for the state to incarcerate someone or otherwise rob him of his liberty, and for anyone who thinks it's just a thing that someone can, through the relatively meagre rigour of a civil proceeding, have the libel of rapist attached to him, I say this to you: you are fantastically ignorant and you would, if you had it your way, give away to siren calls our inheritance of British Justice; it being until recently the most procedurally robust kind around.

Hypothetical questions for the progressives in the room: which other acts, not sufficiently evidenced to be tried as crimes, or tried unsuccessfully as such, would you like to see civil liability exist for? Will David Goodwillie still be a rapist if he successfully appeals the civil decision? And just how big would you like the state to be, roughly?

What's my own opinion on Goodwillie? Excellent player; far too good for us. With him, the old boy from Irvine and these new lads from Dundee, we might just survive. Although, I'd say anyone that beds a woman who's had a drink in her - even if she isn't 'drunk'; whatever that means - should be in the jail. But then, I've an old fashioned sense of morality. If I had my way, the Police would simply follow taxis away from Sauchiehall Street each night; park up, let the door shut, then put it through. Fill the cells in no time.

Edited by Sao Paulo

All these do-gooders get tae f**k. f**k all the legal shit, we all know he done it. Absolute scumbag...

56 minutes ago, marco44 said:

David Goodwille signing.
Surely it's an April Fool.

First reaction was to have a giggle at that, but sad to say that on reflection it just aint no laughing matter. A laughing matter for others within my household is that i forgot to cancel my flipping alarm clock set to get me up for todays game.

And like someone posted earlier i wont be back til he is gone. The thought of accidentally cheering as that cnut scores a goal makes me cringe in so many ways.

Back into retirement for me. 

Is it true that 6 Clyde players are refusing to play today (assuming over the Goodwillie thinh)?

We have about that injured/struggling for fitness at the moment(Gibson, Quinn, McMillan, Linton, Perry and others) People using the 2+2=7 formula here.

Is it true that 6 Clyde players are refusing to play today (assuming over the Goodwillie thinh)?

There has been about a dozen who have refused to play most of the season

There are 6 I would like to see out of the team anyway.
Hope it's them.

It's a similar dilemma to Chef Evans, with the added complication of never having been tried. The questions about rehabilitation, punishment, role model behaviour are all in the background. The real question is how a board, a number of individuals arrived at decision like this. Are they desperate, amoral or just oblivious to the consequences?

Guys made a drunken mistake if he has even done anything . Give the guy a break .

Out of the tens of thousands of posts I've read on here, this is probably the worst.

Just looking forward to today's match now, can't imagine the state of this forum if he nets a hattrick and Clyde win 2-3 or something of the sort.

7 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

Just looking forward to today's match now, can't imagine the state of this forum if he nets a hattrick and Clyde win 2-3 or something of the sort.

Please let that be true.....

45 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Out of the tens of thousands of posts I've read on here, this is probably the worst.

5 minutes ago, Bogs_Dollox said:

Some people just want to be outraged . Get a life

God he managed to top it! I wouldn't want Goodwillie anywhere near my team just like I did with Robertson.  Bit pathetic that you feel otherwise.