CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

Linton talking up Ferguson in Herald. If he was really that good, it makes you wonder why the players are shit and didn't become better players after joining Clyde.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15174814._quot_Barry_Ferguson_set_high_standards_for_us_at_Clyde___he__39_d_be_a_great_addition_to_the_Rangers_coaching_staff_quot_/?ref=twtrec

Cheers

Couldn't copy that link , think I'm just computer illiterate [emoji6]

2 hours ago, Elementary Penguin said:

No one confuses your opinions with anyone's, but your own. What they sometimes do struggle to seperate is every route that the club officially goes down, is flogged to death upon the merest hint of a question, and reconstructed as a challenge to either shut up and join in, or just shut up altogether. You've almost got your wish, many have done permanently, and more are likely to follow suit. Yes, it's not your area, i understand that.....but it becomes 'your area' when people give their reasons for their opinions and actions, to the extent it becomes a personal affront that they disagree with anything the club does. Its a free market, Clyde should be grateful people tell you why they believe the product isn't good enough. No one marches into a KFC to shout and bawl at how much better the fuckin McDonalds up the road is run!!

As for the jaunts on the team bus, and non co-opted or elected people being given representative gigs at the away matches when the club think no one will notice, i've seen it with my own eyes. Fair enough, i actually agree....a small reward for work isn't the biggest deal in the world. But layers of additional bureaucracy are the last thing the club should be putting between them and their customers....against the backdrop of the shitfest of a season (it is a football club, after all), a few extra smartarses thinking they know better than the rest of us (by virtue of insider info) when we can see whats happening perfectly well is only going to give more justification for people to think what they do. 

Communications might not be your area either, but at least you are attempting to give the club perespective on things. Its better than your contemporaries do. What i will say is the clubs continual ignorance and refusal of clarification on literally dozens of issues, have created the vaccuum of speculation which while not easy to address, causes a lot more friction than who's getting a free gig for pulling the pints, or getting a directors blazer for the day for helping with fundraising, for example. On this, the club have brought everything upon themselves. And continue to do so. 

I almost responded, but you covered it with one exception.

Oh presh, you also it seems will have your way too, when this forum becomes as desolate as Broadwood.   

A poster attempts to explain a situation, but is then attacked for, why for presh, it wasn’t even in response to you I don’t think.

But surprise surprise here cometh the three witches of Macbeth,

Dash of distortion here

Element of exaggeration there

All of course to be taken as a pinch of salt.

Don't worry SLW , soon it will only be “bananas” left to have a debate with on here  presh.

Edited by STTOF

I was on the team bus down to Berwick a few weeks back (not sure if this is what's being referred to) I was invited along not as a thank you but to discuss and build on fundraising ideas that we are taking forward. I wasn't the only one invited from the small team of fan fundraisers but I was the only one available to go through and represent not the club in any official capacity at Berwick, but to represent the fans doing the fundraising.

The free hospitality may be at me and a couple of others also(apologies if not but I will clear up just in case) As David said all hospitality is paid for. One time the fundraisers were invited to hospitality as guests of David Douglas for the race night work. Any other time I've been to hospitality this season (a further 2 times) were certainly not free or paid by anyone else for deemed loyalty.

If I have misread this and it's not a dig at me or others I know I apologise. If it is, the above I hope clears it up.

Paul, I keep seeing you repeat this and I feel I need to address it before it's repeated so often that people accept it as fact. As you know, I am not on the board but I do run the club's hospitality. It's a role I've been doing since Gary Ballantyne resigned and I offered to review the costs of the matchday catering. It always annoyed me that we didn't do any hospitality so I offered to take up the responsibility of negotiating this with NLL and after a slow start it now seems to be taking off.

I can assure you that not a single person has been given free hospitality for any reason.
Sponsors have booked tables and given spaces to fans they have become friends with but the club or board of directors have not given away any hospitality to anyone. Bottom line is the margins are so thin that giving away hospitality doesn't make any sense and I wouldn't take the booking. It would be an insult to the people who give up their normal Saturday routine for free to welcome and serve guests if we were dishing out hospitality for nothing.

As for spaces on the team bus or the golf day, not my area but I certainly have not heard of people being given those for the reasons you suggest. The Supporters team were offered a free golf day place some years ago due to a last minute cancellation, small reward for the guys who represent the club all over Scotland every Saturday morning, not to mention the amount of work that many of the players do as volunteers across many areas of the club but there's no chance that spaces are routinely given away for free.

I stopped posting on P&B as it is not always the best place to engage in reasoned discussion and some people have a habit of confusing my opinions with my dads, but felt I had to put the record straight on this one as it could put people off coming forward to assist in future. Thanks goes to the many volunteers who help with hospitality, Club 58, Bar 58 etc and if we ever get to a place where we can reward people with free hospitality then these guys will be first in the queue!

OK firstly let's not personalise this with individuals ( pointless )

Let's me make one thing clear I have no problem with volunteers having a thank you from the club In fact I would encourage it a do after the last game drinks food whatever ( I would happily through in money to that)

I really couldn't careless about who goes on the team bus, however it should only be elected officials management and players in my opinion

It's the idea that no one is allowed to critise the running of the club and any dissenting voice shouted down I don't think it creates a healthy atmosphere where a small group are fed information
( the Friday night / Saturday night texts )
Where any vague criticism of the board is met with a tirade , where people are described as not "real clyde fans "

My point was I hope the new Chairman can bring a greater professionalism throughout the club where it isn't who you know or who you are pals with that gets you access all areas.

Where fans can actually freely express an opinion without getting told your not welcome.

The CIC has created a lot of these problems just wish we could rid the the club of it and the toxic atmosphere it has created ( only an opinion )

Maybe we can discuss this over a cup of tea one time not in hospitality of course [emoji6]

Ps I'm joining again in the summer bit of a trojan horse tactic [emoji4]

Paul, I keep seeing you repeat this and I feel I need to address it before it's repeated so often that people accept it as fact. As you know, I am not on the board but I do run the club's hospitality. It's a role I've been doing since Gary Ballantyne resigned and I offered to review the costs of the matchday catering. It always annoyed me that we didn't do any hospitality so I offered to take up the responsibility of negotiating this with NLL and after a slow start it now seems to be taking off.

I can assure you that not a single person has been given free hospitality for any reason.
Sponsors have booked tables and given spaces to fans they have become friends with but the club or board of directors have not given away any hospitality to anyone. Bottom line is the margins are so thin that giving away hospitality doesn't make any sense and I wouldn't take the booking. It would be an insult to the people who give up their normal Saturday routine for free to welcome and serve guests if we were dishing out hospitality for nothing.

As for spaces on the team bus or the golf day, not my area but I certainly have not heard of people being given those for the reasons you suggest. The Supporters team were offered a free golf day place some years ago due to a last minute cancellation, small reward for the guys who represent the club all over Scotland every Saturday morning, not to mention the amount of work that many of the players do as volunteers across many areas of the club but there's no chance that spaces are routinely given away for free.

I stopped posting on P&B as it is not always the best place to engage in reasoned discussion and some people have a habit of confusing my opinions with my dads, but felt I had to put the record straight on this one as it could put people off coming forward to assist in future. Thanks goes to the many volunteers who help with hospitality, Club 58, Bar 58 etc and if we ever get to a place where we can reward people with free hospitality then these guys will be first in the queue!

David you should come on more often you seem to have quite a following [emoji6]

Ps for those who have had a humour bypass that is joke [emoji4]

Bob Malcolm in today's Report

"Barry attracted players that were​ better than the league they were in at Clyde"

Then maybe he can explain the league position that Barry and Malcolm left us in.

Bob reinforces the saying, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

The version I read said. “Clyde recruited players that were arguably better than the league they were in and that was all because Barry was a big name in the game".

Don't see how you can disagree with that. No chance Martin, Linton, Easton, Mitchell end up at Clyde without BF.

11 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Linton talking up Ferguson in Herald. If he was really that good, it makes you wonder why the players are shit and didn't become better players after joining Clyde.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15174814._quot_Barry_Ferguson_set_high_standards_for_us_at_Clyde___he__39_d_be_a_great_addition_to_the_Rangers_coaching_staff_quot_/?ref=twtrec

When we had an away game that required a long journey, against Elgin for example, he would take us away on a Friday night and we would stay at the best hotels

Mystery solved.

The version I read said. “Clyde recruited players that were arguably better than the league they were in and that was all because Barry was a big name in the game".
Don't see how you can disagree with that. No chance Martin, Linton, Easton, Mitchell end up at Clyde without BF.

Agree

I haven't really any animosity towards him he tried his best and it didn't work , he should however went turn of the year

The players have let him and the club down , I don't think we have a bad squad certainly nothing like in the past I think it's just the wrong type of character within the players, they have ability but the attitude and desire of too many have to be questioned , just not up for the fight required in the lowest tier of Scottish football

Just reading the interview in the Herald tells you everything you need to know

Just got to hope they drag one or two performances out of themselves from now till end of the season , before they disappear in the summer

If not it's curtains

Yet only one playoff final in three years. In league three!!!

Bob Malcolm in today's Report

"Barry attracted players that were​ better than the league they were in at Clyde"

Then maybe he can explain the league position that Barry and Malcolm left us in.

Bob reinforces the saying, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

In all likelihood he is still on the wage Bill at Clyde so he would have to be careful what he says.

12 hours ago, haufdaft said:

The bit that says it all for me:

"when he was standing there in the dressing room before a game, he was more up for the match than some of the players were"

No shit Sherlock?

Mr Motivator he was most certainly not!

Strangely, I kind of think he could do a decent job as an assistant at Ibrox.

The bit that says it all for me:
"when he was standing there in the dressing room before a game, he was more up for the match than some of the players were"
No shit Sherlock?
Mr Motivator he was most certainly not!

Strangely, I kind of think he could do a decent job as an assistant at Ibrox.

He can't motivate players.
He doesn't make players better.
He can't install winning mentality.
He can't win league three with players better than that league.

Some Résumé

23 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

He can't motivate players.
He doesn't make players better.
He can't install winning mentality.
He can't win league three with players better than that league.

Some Résumé

All these are the manager's remit, not the assistant's.