CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

Blame can be apportioned to Board, players, BF and some fans like myself who gave up because of the crap being served up.
I did so hoping the actions of fans like myself would give a kick up the jacksie to somebody who could make a difference.
Now we are where we are and I will be back as I thought BF just couldn't cut it as a manager and quoted on here as my reason for my absence from games.
I now look forward to getting back in amongst the guys who I admired for sticking by Clyde.
I certainly didn't feel good being away and hope things will be on the up from now on.
New manager?
I only want an experienced guy who knows about this level of football.
Here's hoping.

Always a warm welcome for a prodigal son [emoji4]

Hope springs eternal that's football

We need to start winning games simple as that and it starts tommorow

Hope the club approaches Danny Lennon for the job, I feel we need someone with experience in these leagues he won League Two and League One in a row with Cowdenbeath, proven manager winning the League Cup with St Mirren... Our squad is full of egos a bigger name than Lauglin is needed I think. would he drop down to this league ? He was caretaker manager for Airdrie last year so I think so.

Devastated to see BF go; he might now be able to get himself out of Gus' back pocket.  Liked him as a Scotland player, but it's really not worked out for him at Clyde at all and it's hard to see where he goes from here.  On a personal note, if there was to be a demonstration day this Saturday, his timing is right as this would only be an embarrassment all round if he was still in charge.  These things are never dignified.  

We were in absolute freefall at the end of the Gardner Speirs reign and a conscious decision was taken to get someone in who would command respect in the dressing room rather than a young gun.  History would say that it was a great decision as McPherson has been unbelievable for us.

Hard to know what Billy Stark is doing as no. 2 at Cliftonhill unless that was his only option.  He totally transformed us and had us playing the sort of football you pray for.  He'd be a good shout.  As would Paul Martin if you are looking for a Gus type....if he wants to get back into the game.

Guys out of a job will accept almost anything, so expect some decent names to throw their hats into the ring.

Hope the club can entice Danny Lennon. He done well at Cowdenbeath & I think St Mirren are a lot worse off now since they sacked him.
Don't know why Boab Malcolm is still at the club though. He should've went with Ferguson. Both were a disaster for Clyde.

The players should be embarrassed by recent performances. With the squad we have we should never be eighth in this league.
Also if it's true that we will be back signing bargain players next season then the CIC should be scrapped as it's not fit for purpose.

He was a coach at best but never a manager,

He wasn't a coach either. He did not develop any of the players or a consistent system of play. He tended to make good signings and they got worse playing under him. Struggling to think of anyone who has improved as a player under Ferguson.

Poor coach, poor motivator, poor man manager. He basically had nothing required to be successful at this level. Ok, he was keen to succeed and worked hard at the job but he wasn't very good at it. Why anyone is sad to see the back of him is quite frankly baffling.

Also if it's true that we will be back signing bargain players next season then the CIC should be scrapped as it's not fit for purpose.

Yes, let's scrap the CIC and go back to a limited company where people can buy shares again. Guess what? The club will still have no money. What do we blame then?

The problem isn't a company structure.

The root of the problem is Broadwood but it's been compounded by poor choices of manager.

Unless the club can get out of Broadwood and start competing on a level playing field with clubs like (and I can't believe I am saying this) Forfar, Arbroath, Annan, Mon-fucking-trose then we will never improve. The former chairman said the club will die if it doesn't leave Broadwood. That statement is still true and people need to wake up and accept it.

Assumption based on

If as we are told by the club he hadn't put any money in hasn't paid wages

Why would the budget be less ? in fact the cup run must have given us a modest boost to the budget

Is it not possible that he did not put money in himself but brought money to the club via his contacts and his higher profile?

Also some people suggested on here that once Ferguson left Clyde, David Douglas would help bring additional sponsorship. Is this not true?

Incidently, these do not reflect a viewpoint. I have no idea of the answers to the above questions

Yes, let's scrap the CIC and go back to a limited company where people can buy shares again. Guess what? The club will still have no money. What do we blame then?

The root of the problem is Broadwood but it's been compounded by poor choices of manager.

Unless the club can get out of Broadwood and start competing on a level playing field with clubs like (and I can't believe I am saying this) Forfar, Arbroath, Annan, Mon-fucking-trose then we will never improve. The former chairman said the club will die if it doesn't leave Broadwood. That statement is still true and people need to wake up and accept it.

Fully agree

Apologies - new to this board and online posting kind of thing.

Glad that Ferguson is away, despite all the hard work he put in, for some strange reason, the football we were playing at the start of the season could not be replicated and we couldn't get out the slump we got in. Hopefully there's some kind of pickup against Montrose as it's obvious there is a fear in the players to turn this round. It's pretty much all on them now.

Not a member of the CIC, and not related to any board members either, but perhaps someone could enlighten me as to the ACTUAL problem with the CIC?

As far as I know, its not and never has been for fundraising, although it has generated funds through its three sponsorships much more than what we can get through match-day income due to our tenancy agreement.

I see also that an improved relationship with our landlords has seen hospitality revived and Club 58 opened. 

Then you have the excellent work being done in the community through the foundation - it may not raise money, but as far as I know it doesn't cost anything - so I cant see the harm?

I can understand although not agree that the board are accountable for the appointment of Ferguson, and subsequent failure of him, and again understand if not agree that some may feel the problem lies with them - but again I ask what has the CIC model go to do with who is on the board?

Finally, I would ask if any one has any experience that they step forward, and if they feel they cannot - why not. Or if they have tried before that they publicly tell us why they were not taken up on it. The CIC is supposed to be transparent, so if there's things getting hidden or pushed under the carpet, I would like to know what and why.

This has been discussed before and although the revenue streams aren't where we want them the actual rent costs and maintenance costs of being at Broadwood are not that bad.

The whole blame Broadwood thing is all a bit of a myth and an easy excuse IMO.

What would undoubtedly help is a decent manager serving up a watchable product that would put more bums on seats by bringing back many of our disillusioned and currently non-attending supporters.

You honestly believe we have a lower playing budget than Montrose and Annan ?

Yeah Broadwood is the problem it costs us around 35k to rent it what do think the running costs of Gayfield , Cliftonhill

By the way the board are quite happy with Broadwood at the moment so think you need to take that up with them

As for our former chairman he said that EK would build a stadium, that if we didn't vote for a name change we wouldn't have a club to support and that Ferguson was coming in as a player manager ha ha

CIC is killing the club

Apologies - new to this board and online posting kind of thing.
Glad that Ferguson is away, despite all the hard work he put in, for some strange reason, the football we were playing at the start of the season could not be replicated and we couldn't get out the slump we got in. Hopefully there's some kind of pickup against Montrose as it's obvious there is a fear in the players to turn this round. It's pretty much all on them now.
Not a member of the CIC, and not related to any board members either, but perhaps someone could enlighten me as to the ACTUAL problem with the CIC?

As far as I know, its not and never has been for fundraising, although it has generated funds through its three sponsorships much more than what we can get through match-day income due to our tenancy agreement.
I see also that an improved relationship with our landlords has seen hospitality revived and Club 58 opened. 
Then you have the excellent work being done in the community through the foundation - it may not raise money, but as far as I know it doesn't cost anything - so I cant see the harm?
I can understand although not agree that the board are accountable for the appointment of Ferguson, and subsequent failure of him, and again understand if not agree that some may feel the problem lies with them - but again I ask what has the CIC model go to do with who is on the board?

Finally, I would ask if any one has any experience that they step forward, and if they feel they cannot - why not. Or if they have tried before that they publicly tell us why they were not taken up on it. The CIC is supposed to be transparent, so if there's things getting hidden or pushed under the carpet, I would like to know what and why.

Have a look at the league position that might help you understand the success of the CIC

And superb effort at absolving the board of any blame.

Mission accomplished [emoji106]

This has been discussed before and although the revenue streams aren't where we want them the actual rent costs and maintenance costs of being at Broadwood are not that bad.

The whole blame Broadwood thing is all a bit of a myth and an easy excuse IMO.

What would undoubtedly help is a decent manager serving up a watchable product that would put more bums on seats by bringing back many of our disillusioned and currently non-attending supporters.

If as CFCUK says that the bill is £35k annually then that sounds ok until you look what is actually paid for. It's 4 hours every second Saturday. That is not value for money.

It's the lack of income streams that is the problem. Other clubs may pay the same to upkeep their stadiums but they have money coming in from the stadium to offset that and can use them all week.

Paying for training.

Paying for youth football.

Paying for community football

Excessive stewarding numbers

No income from advertising boards.

No income from the serverys

Limited hospitality

No supporters bar.

No control over clearing the pitch of snow.

There are basics that other League Two clubs take for granted. Clyde don't even have the basics and in infrastructure are well behind other clubs. No change of company structure will fix that.

Focus on the actual problem and try to fix it.

I 100% agree with the final part of your post.

If as CFCUK says that the bill is £35k annually then that sounds ok until you look what is actually paid for. It's 4 hours every second Saturday. That is not value for money.
It's the lack of income streams that is the problem. Other clubs may pay the same to upkeep their stadiums but they have money coming in from the stadium to offset that and can use them all week.

Paying for training.
Limited hospitality
No supporters bar.

There are basics that other League Two clubs take for granted. Clyde don't even have the basics and in infrastructure are well behind other clubs. No change of company structure will fix that.

We know have control over the bar on match days
No restrictions on match day advertising hoardings look at website 500 a year
Don't have any youth set up ( under 20's ) so a pitch and training costs for one team
Full control of Match day hospitality
Including club 58
Community football is not paid for by the club
Stewarding cost have been cut

So the problem is income from a pie stall
If we are that bothered put a burger van outside the ground

We will agree to disagree

Paying for training.
Limited hospitality
No supporters bar.

If it's £35K per season, that is less than £2,000 per league match. (Or 153 supporters at £13 per head)

I would argue that is value for money, especially if all stadium maintenance etc is then taken care of and we have no additional costs.

I don't know the full ins and outs of the deal to be fair but I think positive strides are being made with NLC. For me that is the way forward to continue a positive working relationship and negotiate for as much as we can rather than claiming Broadwood is some kind of massive financial hinderance.

54 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

Have a look at the league position that might help you understand the success of the CIC

And superb effort at absolving the board of any blame.

Mission accomplished emoji106.png

Well, don't know if my intentions were misleading on my original post - but take it easy on the new guy eh?

The league position is down to the players and manager no? Be honest - were you happy with the squad at the start of the season - I know I was.

I'm not absolving anyone of blame - I'm looking to volunteer, so I need facts as to why it would be a waste of time, or if there are any other draconian forces at work which I am not aware of. Do you have any facts about the CIC not working or is it just an opinion?

Opinions are fine, but surely you would agree that they carry much more muster if backed up by facts?

Broadwood is sucking us dry financially. We start with a negative balance every season just paying rental for it with little control of what the money is spent on.

Just look at the broken seats, floodlight failure, leaking roofs, excessive stewarding, unable to park outside stadium, bmx cycling events et al?

This is is the elephant in the room that effects everything else within the club.
£35000 with relatively little income streams from it cannot be sustained. The CIC pales in comparison as a contributory factor to our demise.

Maybe other teams have maintenance costs but they also keep all income generated and decide their own priorities.

Should we keep paying for 7000 unused seats in two stands never used?

Incidently, it's like a morgue on a Saturday with respect to atmosphere.