CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

I must admit there's a bit of me that's a bit sad at the news today. Not really felt that at a managerial departure for a while; even when Duffy left after what had been a decent season (he'd resigned a lot of complete dross and I doubt we'd have been as lucky with injuries). McCormack, Millar, Hendry, Brown. We've been a bit cursed.

Fans from other sides no doubt look at Ferguson very differently but I think it's safe to say we've had much worse managers. There's been plenty of comment on how much work he did away from the club with charity/community, he was receptive to things such as the Fans v Fans games, he spent a huge amount of time scouting/talking to new players

The big thing for me was the professionalism and standards he brought to the club. Training on a full pitch, pre-season tours, staying over-night for Elgin/Brora, the infamous protein shakes, and a lot more. Some people will debate the value of a lot of that (did I actually read that we should have a 4 hour journey before a game as it'll toughen the players up?!) but I bet players like it. The turnover in players can be criticised but he generally moved on players who weren't good enough (I'm sure he'd have binned Higgins/Gormley/Gibson last summer if there were replacements out there) and looked to bring in guys of a decent calibre. Plenty of good signings who I've enjoyed watching. Too many people at the club are happy to moan about our current position without doing anything about it, indeed there are plenty who quite happily except us wallowing in medicrity. He certainly did plenty to try and take us on a level even if it ultimately hasn't paid off. 

Last season was an enjoyable one in the main. Four stonking games against Annan, the 4-2 against Elgin which was one of the best games I've seen, the two matches at Ochilview, the 5-0 at Berwick, the evening win at Stirling. We were probably a Peaso or Austin away from winning the league in what was a fairly poor year in League 2. In the playoffs we won 3 of 4 games with a team stricken by injuries. Who knows what would have happened were it not for the BMX fiasco, or if Annan had nicked one more goal against QP on the final day,or if Marko's body had stood up to another couple of games. I don't like what ifs, but we really weren't far away.

He made mistakes. No doubt about it. He learnt from many of them. He stopped the petty arguing with fans, his team selections gradually became more consistent even if he continued to change his overall gameplan too much. He learnt the division better and against what some people claim, he clearly did set up his side differently against different threats. His biggest flaw, in my opinion, was his inability to organise a defence. 16 clean sheets in 77 games is atrocious for a team supposed to be at the top end of the league. It's not a problem if you're setting out to attack teams like at the start of this season but the minute Easton was injured, he needed to manufacture a team who would nick a goal through MacDonald/Flynn/set piece and then see the game out. The wins at Elgin/Brora aside, it didn't ever look like happening and that's entirely down to his coaching as we've got capable enough players.

I genuinely wish him luck wherever he ends up next. He fell short at Clyde but certainly not through lack of effort. His departure sums him up; no drama, no need for walkouts or abuse. He's accepted that he ultimately failed, and been big enough to move on. I'm sure he'll be gutted about it. I don't think for one second that Malcolm will be staying on but the fact he's taking charge on Tuesday probably shows the split has been fairly amicable. I'd hope there would be no problems if he brings a team back to Broadwood.

The next move is crucial and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. Where's the knowledge coming from to appoint the next manager? Who is going to sit down with candidates and understand their potential approach, their training plan? Our record with appointing managers in the main has been awful. As I said earlier in the thread, we need the right person to push us on, whether that's an experienced guy or someone who is just starting out. For every Gary Bollan/Dick Campbell, there's a Jocky Scott, John McCormack or Paul Hegarty. For every Sheerin, Young and Hartley, there's a McCoist, or a Fox. There's no obvious candidate for me, like there has been at various points the last couple of years. I'd hope we make enquiries about Martin Lauchlan (two years of huge success and he'd be daft to be gambling on a playoff game to get into the league) I'd hope we dig into Ian Murray and find out how much of his success at Dumbarton was down to Jack Ross (Scott Linton was there under him I think?). I'd not be overly disappointed with Danny Lennon either. I'm sure we'd love to take our time but the fact is, we need a manager in within the next 10-14 days so they can prepare for the run of games at home against Edinburgh, Cowden and Stirling. Funnily enough, on my current FM save, we binned BF around this time in the season and replaced him with Gordon Durie. First signing was Scott :lol: Didn't win any of his first 12 games in charge either.

It's also time to sort out the stadium and chairman situations. I'm fairly laid-back about the board and certainly won't start panning them on here but decisions have to be made. A new manager means the chance of a fresh start on the playing side but it's time the whole club started moving forwards at a time when we'll have people's interest once again.

I agree pretty much with all of that DW, I certainly wouldn't like to see him get a hard time if he ever turned up at Broadwood in whatever capacity. Didn't work out, probably tried to see it out longer than we would have liked but I appreciate the hard work he obviously put in.

I had a lot less time for many other failed managers we have had in the past.

The big thing for me was the professionalism and standards he brought to the club. Training on a full pitch, pre-season tours, staying over-night for Elgin/Brora, the infamous protein shakes, and a lot more. Some people will debate the value of a lot of that (did I actually read that we should have a 4 hour journey before a game as it'll toughen the players up?!) but I bet players like it. 

How do you explain the fact that the players clearly weren't playing for him anymore then if they love his methods so much?

. The turnover in players can be criticised but he generally moved on players who weren't good enough (I'm sure he'd have binned Higgins/Gormley/Gibson last summer if there were replacements out there) and looked to bring in guys of a decent calibre.

Unfortunately this isn't bared out by the fact that these players were resigned in May of last year. Long before the transfer window closed.

It would seem to me that he was eager to have them in his squad again. All of these players were shit last season too.

Also their consistent selection when not performing shows that Ferguson was blind to their failings. Why not play Flynn for example? Ultimately it contributed to his failure at Clyde.

He was a coach at best but never a manager, we have been poor for 3 months and didn't have the managerial nous to turn it around. 

After the play offs last season I genuinely thought we would have gone the next step after players he was signing and we did start the season playing great stuff the team had an arrogance and a swagger about it that I hadn't seen in a long time, then we lost Easton and Lowden and that's probably what started his downfall, I think if we had Easton fit for the whole of the season we would probably have been in a better position but these things happen and he really failed to adapt and get a settled team, maybe the cup run was a distraction but the player's certainly showed they have it in them to show the fight and desire we failed to see in the league games, Barry never got the best of luck with injuries but he also never got the best from this group of players and ultimately he's responsible for the results. 

The next appointment is a huge decision and it will need to be soon maybe a Danny Lennon until the end of the season who knows. 

There's change also needed at the top we need someone to take the club by the scruff of the neck and give it new direction (David Douglas there's a big empty chair waiting for you) and I we also need you guys the fans to come back this is our time to take our club back starting tomorrow. 

We are Clyde. 

If as has been muted on this thread we are back to lower grade signings next season , what does that say for the long term strategy of the club BF wasn't hounded out there was barely a dissenting voice at games (before Saturday) The fact is he would have left at some point either to take another job or resigning either way we would have found ourselves in this position So if this is the case then we have allowed the club to be a hostage to fortune I'm in no doubt our illustrious leaders will spin this as the fans fault

As for all the work he done yes credit to him I backed him and wish it had worked But basically it hasn't the false out pourings are just a sign of society nowadays anything for a bit of wallowing in self pity.

He has gone get over it

I must admit there's a bit of me that's a bit sad at the news today. Not really felt that at a managerial departure for a while; even when Duffy left after what had been a decent season (he'd resigned a lot of complete dross and I doubt we'd have been as lucky with injuries). McCormack, Millar, Hendry, Brown. We've been a bit cursed.
Fans from other sides no doubt look at Ferguson very differently but I think it's safe to say we've had much worse managers. There's been plenty of comment on how much work he did away from the club with charity/community, he was receptive to things such as the Fans v Fans games, he spent a huge amount of time scouting/talking to new players
The big thing for me was the professionalism and standards he brought to the club. Training on a full pitch, pre-season tours, staying over-night for Elgin/Brora, the infamous protein shakes, and a lot more. Some people will debate the value of a lot of that (did I actually read that we should have a 4 hour journey before a game as it'll toughen the players up?!) but I bet players like it. The turnover in players can be criticised but he generally moved on players who weren't good enough (I'm sure he'd have binned Higgins/Gormley/Gibson last summer if there were replacements out there) and looked to bring in guys of a decent calibre. Plenty of good signings who I've enjoyed watching. Too many people at the club are happy to moan about our current position without doing anything about it, indeed there are plenty who quite happily except us wallowing in medicrity. He certainly did plenty to try and take us on a level even if it ultimately hasn't paid off. 
Last season was an enjoyable one in the main. Four stonking games against Annan, the 4-2 against Elgin which was one of the best games I've seen, the two matches at Ochilview, the 5-0 at Berwick, the evening win at Stirling. We were probably a Peaso or Austin away from winning the league in what was a fairly poor year in League 2. In the playoffs we won 3 of 4 games with a team stricken by injuries. Who knows what would have happened were it not for the BMX fiasco, or if Annan had nicked one more goal against QP on the final day,or if Marko's body had stood up to another couple of games. I don't like what ifs, but we really weren't far away.
He made mistakes. No doubt about it. He learnt from many of them. He stopped the petty arguing with fans, his team selections gradually became more consistent even if he continued to change his overall gameplan too much. He learnt the division better and against what some people claim, he clearly did set up his side differently against different threats. His biggest flaw, in my opinion, was his inability to organise a defence. 16 clean sheets in 77 games is atrocious for a team supposed to be at the top end of the league. It's not a problem if you're setting out to attack teams like at the start of this season but the minute Easton was injured, he needed to manufacture a team who would nick a goal through MacDonald/Flynn/set piece and then see the game out. The wins at Elgin/Brora aside, it didn't ever look like happening and that's entirely down to his coaching as we've got capable enough players.
I genuinely wish him luck wherever he ends up next. He fell short at Clyde but certainly not through lack of effort. His departure sums him up; no drama, no need for walkouts or abuse. He's accepted that he ultimately failed, and been big enough to move on. I'm sure he'll be gutted about it. I don't think for one second that Malcolm will be staying on but the fact he's taking charge on Tuesday probably shows the split has been fairly amicable. I'd hope there would be no problems if he brings a team back to Broadwood.
The next move is crucial and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. Where's the knowledge coming from to appoint the next manager? Who is going to sit down with candidates and understand their potential approach, their training plan? Our record with appointing managers in the main has been awful. As I said earlier in the thread, we need the right person to push us on, whether that's an experienced guy or someone who is just starting out. For every Gary Bollan/Dick Campbell, there's a Jocky Scott, John McCormack or Paul Hegarty. For every Sheerin, Young and Hartley, there's a McCoist, or a Fox. There's no obvious candidate for me, like there has been at various points the last couple of years. I'd hope we make enquiries about Martin Lauchlan (two years of huge success and he'd be daft to be gambling on a playoff game to get into the league) I'd hope we dig into Ian Murray and find out how much of his success at Dumbarton was down to Jack Ross (Scott Linton was there under him I think?). I'd not be overly disappointed with Danny Lennon either. I'm sure we'd love to take our time but the fact is, we need a manager in within the next 10-14 days so they can prepare for the run of games at home against Edinburgh, Cowden and Stirling. Funnily enough, on my current FM save, we binned BF around this time in the season and replaced him with Gordon Durie. First signing was Scott[emoji38]Didn't win any of his first 12 games in charge either.
It's also time to sort out the stadium and chairman situations. I'm fairly laid-back about the board and certainly won't start panning them on here but decisions have to be made. A new manager means the chance of a fresh start on the playing side but it's time the whole club started moving forwards at a time when we'll have people's interest once again.

Great post. Lets see where we end up from now onwards

He was not paying any wages of players or putting his own money in.
Completely agree with all of David W's post. Have no ill will to Barry. It just didn't work in the end.

So we will have the same budget next year as this year that's good news

And dispels the gloom and doom about having to shop at the lowest end for signings

As said worked hard but unfortunately didn't work we move on he moves on that's football

Where did you here that....

Assumption based on

If as we are told by the club he hadn't put any money in hasn't paid wages

Why would the budget be less ? in fact the cup run must have given us a modest boost to the budget

Assumption based on

If as we are told by the club he hadn't put any money in hasn't paid wages

Why would the budget be less ? in fact the cup run must have given us a modest boost to the budget

Okay. Ive heard were back to bargain basement from a fairly reliable source in football circles. Results couldnt continue but genuine think were going to be worse off. Players anger me the most. Wrong uns

Okay. Ive heard were back to bargain basement from a fairly reliable source in football circles. Results couldnt continue but genuine think were going to be worse off. Players anger me the most. Wrong uns

So basically the financing of the team this year relied on BF to be honest it wouldnt surprise me , having been told by the club continually it didn't? , maybe that's why there were pleading him to stay

You might be right and we are back in the bargain basement , if that is the case what kind of strategy did we have ? At some point BF was going to leave so this scenario was inevitable

I agree totally some of the players let him down badly , but unfortunately as a manager you carry the can

If we win Tuesday they better not come out with the nonsense that was for the old gaffer

If as you say we are back to the days of 50 quid a week players , then it's time for a total rethink at the club it's clear the CIC just ain't working

But let's leave that for the summer main priority is to start winning football matches and get up the league starting with Tuesday night

I presume he just couldn't take not wining week on week , give him credit hasn't came out with an excuses or bad mouthed the club unlike most others who left but football is a ruthless game and unfortunately there is no room for sentiment club far more important than any individual we move on .

3 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

I presume he just couldn't take not wining week on week , give him credit hasn't came out with an excuses or bad mouthed the club unlike most others who left but football is a ruthless game and unfortunately there is no room for sentiment club far more important than any individual we move on .

Wish we could take a leaf out your book.

Blame can be apportioned to Board, players, BF and some fans like myself who gave up because of the crap being served up.

I did so hoping the actions of fans like myself would give a kick up the jacksie to somebody who could make a difference.

Now we are where we are and I will be back as I thought BF just couldn't cut it as a manager and quoted on here as my reason for my absence from games.

I now look forward to getting back in amongst the guys who I admired for sticking by Clyde.

I certainly didn't feel good being away and hope things will be on the up from now on.

New manager?

I only want an experienced guy who knows about this level of football.

Here's hoping.