CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

It's obviously important to you that opinions find endorsement with professional managers; everything else can be held in contempt.

It's not that important to me. I don't hold anyone or anything regarding Clyde in contempt. We have a difference in opinion. That's all.

I didn't think Oliver was a good centre half. He did nothing at full back that impressed me.

The manager let him go on loan. I've no problem with that.

You do have a problem with Oliver going on loan. Perhaps your seeking endorsement of your own minority opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

Paul shields

Left or right back?

Would think that most folk would agree that Johnston isn't a right back and shouldn't be played there. Especially when we have an excellent right back in McNeil.

Left back is going to be a compromise with Lowden our for the season. You could put an argument forward for Linton, Smith, McNiff or Oliver to play there. Linton and Smith are better deployed elsewhere.

McNiff hasn't really impressed me at either centre or left back but I do feel that our biggest defence frailty is down the right hand side. I can't really remember Oliver standing out during his two spells with the club. It's pretty obvious that Barry doesn't fancy him so I don't really see the point in keeping this argument going.

There have been players like Oliver which Barry has brought in and they've quickly disappeared. McLeish, Brisbane and now Oliver all spring to mind. McLeish has went on to do well at Queens Park and maybe Oliver would done likewise if giving an extended run in the team. However, Barry isn't going to play him and against Elgin he was only brought on to run the clock down even though some of our players had run themselves into the ground.

For those that want tickets to Saturday's race night at Committee Room 9 but haven't yet got tickets please drop me a PM and it can still be arranged.  If you want the more personal approach tickets will be on sale around the stadium on Saturday.  

Players and management staff will be at the event (16 players plus management from memory) and there are some great auction items and prizes to be won.  More details can be found on the official website

51 minutes ago, Harry Haddock said:

How nice of our former manager to suggest that Celtic buy us out in order that their younger players can gain experience in the lower leagues.my response is the same as one I had 20 years ago regarding this clown.Alex Smith gtf.

What I would like to ask Mr Smith is: "What happens to genuine talent available and swallowed up

at the team/club bought out by the Old Firm?" Laughable that this guy is still giving an opinion on our

game. A strong supporter of the Largs Mafia coaching structure, and now Chairman of the Managers/

Coaches Association if I am not mistaken. Notice the Record mentioned his succcess at St Mirren and

Aberdeen, but was he not eventually bagged at these clubs, plus Clyde and Ross County?

Too much "Preservation of My Job" on the 6th Floor S.F.A. Technical Department at Hampden

Park. Anyone coming in with ideas to improve Scottish football is either shown the door eventually

or chucks it!

While we are on the subject of change, Pat Nevin has a cheek with his observations on what he 

perceived as requiring change 20 years ago. Guided the good ship at Motherwell Football Club for

the owner when a lot of players lost their jobs etc, and look where he is nowadays!

Link for anyone that wants it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3936442/Scotland-young-players-fighting-chance-says-Alex-Smith.html?ITO=1490

I despise Alex Smith. Other than Bomber Brown, to me the worst manager we have ever had. The damage done by his academies and his arrogance, and basic lack of managerial skills was a massive contributory factor in why Clyde's move to Broadwood almost 25 years ago has not worked to this point.

Tosser! 

55 minutes ago, catcoach said:

What I would like to ask Mr Smith is: "What happens to genuine talent available and swallowed up

at the team/club bought out by the Old Firm?" Laughable that this guy is still giving an opinion on our

game. A strong supporter of the Largs Mafia coaching structure, and now Chairman of the Managers/

Coaches Association if I am not mistaken. Notice the Record mentioned his succcess at St Mirren and

Aberdeen, but was he not eventually bagged at these clubs, plus Clyde and Ross County?

Too much "Preservation of My Job" on the 6th Floor S.F.A. Technical Department at Hampden

Park. Anyone coming in with ideas to improve Scottish football is either shown the door eventually

or chucks it!

While we are on the subject of change, Pat Nevin has a cheek with his observations on what he 

perceived as requiring change 20 years ago. Guided the good ship at Motherwell Football Club for

the owner when a lot of players lost their jobs etc, and look where he is nowadays!

I have to say even as a Clyde fan who actually witnessed Pat Nevin's  debut for Clyde that as a pundit he has an honorary degree in Bawbaggary and talking pish!  

Really thin defensive pool. Hope we sign a couple of full-backs. But that won't happen.

About these ex-Rangers player(s)... The names Shiels and Templeton have been mentioned. Of course, everyone's instinctive reaction to those ought to be 'Don't be daft!'. Believe it or not though, Edinburgh City were bold enough to try and sign Templeton about a fortnight ago. So there's a warm rumour trail there. The idea of a league two side having a player with that pace, work-rate and touch is difficult to compute. He is constantly injured, mind you. And it's a long way back, being out for as long as he has. He's in the same boat as Scott Ferguson.

As for Shiels, well Dundalk's season has just finished. Seems as though he done well for them. Might he defect for a short while? Still too good a player for this level. Only left Rangers in the summer, too.