The pyramid works!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be interesting to compare all the HL/LL results against SPFL sides over an extended period. I would expect theSPFL clubs to comfortably hold the upper hand.

It wouldn't be very interesting at all. In fact HibeeJibee did it ages ago.

No more interesting than comparing Lge 1 v Lge 2 ties. You'd expect the Lge 1 teams to 'comfortably hold the upper hand'.

Relegation to the LL will rob them of home games against clubs with a decent travelling support

They've been "robbed" of absolutely nothing: they were demonstrably not good enough to play in the division and were inferior to the side in the lower division. Absolutely no club has the right to play in front of a 'decent travelling support' in order to fill their coffers. Let's hope that the pyramid purges that stale sense of entitlement which has plagued the national setup and replaces it with with an idea of progress or decline based entirely on merit.

Junior teams are pointless. They are content on winning shit trophies year after year and are probably all old firm fans. They are fine where they are.

Massive interest in grass roots football i see.

This.

I'd take it a bit further and end their participation in the Scottish Cup. If they don't want to modernise and join the rest of football then they deserve the long painful demise thats coming to them.

Ps. Congrats to Edinburgh City. Hope shire' can pick themselves up. The pyramids all about teams finding their level, hopefully shire can regroup and find theirs

Ferranti Thistle i see.

Thanks for all of that, guys.

These are my first posts here though I've been lurking for a while. I finally decided to sign up because there have been quite a few times I've wanted to make a comment but haven't been able to - particularly the recent pelters aimed at Livingston. I was a Meadowbank Thistle supporter who stopped going when the club went West, and I've been having a few chuckles over their recent woes.

Meadowbank were another kiddie on outfit.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be surprised if Edinburgh City finish bottom of Div 2, so which other club are the bookies favourite for the spoon and relegation playoffs ?

Also, should the bottom club be relegated automatically (ie without a play-off cushion) and be replaced by the Highland/Lowland winners each season ? .This would be:       (1) easier for a relegated SPFL club to win back its league place, and (2) be a better incentive for (most) non-league "pyramid" clubs.

I will be surprised if Edinburgh City finish bottom of Div 2, so which other club are the bookies favourite for the spoon and relegation playoffs ?

Also, should the bottom club be relegated automatically (ie without a play-off cushion) and be replaced by the Highland/Lowland winners each season ? .This would be: (1) easier for a relegated SPFL club to win back its league place, and (2) be a better incentive for (most) non-league "pyramid" clubs.

I think in time this would be a good idea. The problem now is if you take 4-5 top teams out of the LL then there is quite a big drop in standard. Also the authorities really need to address tier 6 as its a bit of a lopsided system with no west of Scotland feeder

You wouldn't need to take 4 or 5 teams out of the Lowland League, as only 2 extra teams are needed, ie :

Current structure:

Premier   12 clubs, Championship  10 clubs,  Division One  10 clubs, Division 2   10 clubs    = a total of 42 clubs

Proposed Revised structure:

Premier   12 clubs,  Championship  16 clubs,   Division One   16 clubs, Division 2  abolished  =  a total of 44 clubs

One less tier, less midweek matches, and an end to the need to play clubs four times per season. Easily achieved by promoting the Highland & Lowland champions, with no relegation - for one season only !

I agree about the need for a West of Scotland feeder.

It's a sad fact all chairman are driven by money rather than what fans want. Clubs would survive losing the three games but it will never happen just look at plastic whistle and their embarrassing statement because they can't play the bigot brothers as many times as they want.

It's a bizarre post to be honest as I don't think any of us are particularly overwhelmed with midweek games. In fact, we generally don't have any bar the postponed matches that need to be made up and maybe a cup game or two.

I'd actually prefer more midweek games, particularly in August/September/April.

• 9 months later...
22 hours ago, Gogs Grog said:

UNITED CONSIDERING LEAVING JUNIOR FOOTBALL

https://t.co/KShwKzB0C5 @thomson_scott

Interesting to see the start of a couple of juniors looking to move over.

If only the Junior clubs would join the pyramid it would mean we could probably have a Midland League as well as a Highland League and a Lowland League. At present there is no way relegation to the HL would be sustainable for any of the Angus clubs who attract players from a southerly direction. Gone are the days when they attracted players from Aberdeenshire - why would they want to travel to Angus to play in the HL? Some Angus clubs train in Dundee or Stirling and if there was a Midland League then relegation would be more sustainable. The problem with 3 feeder leagues of course would be how to organise the play offs. In a 10 team League 2 you couldn't really relegate two clubs or even three but you maybe could from an 18 club bottom division.

No doubt this will once again inspire the 'Merge Angus' towrags - how are their own team doing this season?

If only the Junior clubs would join the pyramid it would mean we could probably have a Midland League as well as a Highland League and a Lowland League. At present there is no way relegation to the HL would be sustainable for any of the Angus clubs who attract players from a southerly direction. Gone are the days when they attracted players from Aberdeenshire - why would they want to travel to Angus to play in the HL? Some Angus clubs train in Dundee or Stirling and if there was a Midland League then relegation would be more sustainable. The problem with 3 feeder leagues of course would be how to organise the play offs. In a 10 team League 2 you couldn't really relegate two clubs or even three but you maybe could from an 18 club bottom division.
No doubt this will once again inspire the 'Merge Angus' towrags - how are their own team doing this season?

Or they could just do the sensible thing and fire us into the LL if any of us were to be relegated. Any of us playing in the HL would be absolutely insane.

Don't think it'll ever come to that though to be fair. Elgin and Peterhead are the only lower league clubs that should be punted to the HL if relegation happens.

Archived