Falkirk vs Kilmarnock, Kilmarnock vs Falkirk

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The criticism of McDonald by some on here is unfounded . This season he has unbelievably saved us from several defeats being heavier than they were and kept us in games when we were rank rotten , which is a lot of games !

Falkirk fans have an embittered view about cup finals ....get over it

They do like to rave about semi-finals however.  :P

McDonald has conceded soft goals to lose the game in the last 2 biggest games he's played in.  Against us in the cup final last year, and last night.

I'd say that was definitely not unfounded criticism.

Is this not the part that Boyd is there to do though? It's certainly what you need a lone striker to do in a play off final when two good chances fall his way.  He is clearly overweight, unfit and struggles to get out of 2nd gear as a result.

Wiki says he's scored 5 goals in 29 games this season, and I think 3 of them were in one game?  If that's correct, it's confirmation of the poor season that he's had, especially when you factor in he'll be one of the highest earners at the club.  It's perhaps telling of Kilmarnock's season, and the quality of their squad, that he's the automatic replacement for Magennis.

It's a case of numbers and quality, ie, we don't have numbers or quality. We have three first team centre forwards at the club; Magennis, Boyd and Carrick. Magennis runs a lot and is quick, athletic and versatile, but not much of a finisher. Boyd doesn't have much in the way of pace, mobility of creativity, but used to be a potent goal threat regardless of that fact, though we're now seeing that he's losing that too with age, and Carrick hasn't had a look in under either Locke (who signed him and worked with him at Hearts) or Clarke and starts for under 20s every week, so is effectively a reserve player. So, two senior strikers and a reserve who's nowhere near the first team. A ridiculous situation to find ourselves in, and one which we have Gary Locke to thank for.

The criticism of McDonald by some on here is unfounded . This season he has unbelievably saved us from several defeats being heavier than they were and kept us in games when we were rank rotten , which is a lot of games !

He's a good keeper, but he's still massively overrated by a lot of people.  There's a reason he's playing for Killie and not someone better.

Is this not the part that Boyd is there to do though? It's certainly what you need a lone striker to do in a play off final when two good chances fall his way.  He is clearly overweight, unfit and struggles to get out of 2nd gear as a result.

Wiki says he's scored 5 goals in 29 games this season, and I think 3 of them were in one game?  If that's correct, it's confirmation of the poor season that he's had, especially when you factor in he'll be one of the highest earners at the club.  It's perhaps telling of Kilmarnock's season, and the quality of their squad, that he's the automatic replacement for Magennis.

A lone striker's game is about leading the line as much as it's about scoring.  He did the first part of his job very well, and got himself into the positions to do the second.  Most of Boyd's appearances were as a sub.  He started playing games regularly at the end of the season, and that's when he started scoring goals again.

There was also that weird shot in the first half that he decided to put out for a corner despite the fact:

A: it was travelling at 2 MPH

B: it was going wide anyway

Assuming it's the shot I'm thinking about, which was actually in the second half, it had taken a pretty big deflection so it would have been a corner anyway.

McDonald was shite for us over a season, never seen a keeper so chained to his line than him, kicking was poor and decision making poor, he showed all of the above again last night, he may have done well for Killie, let's not forget where Killie ended up.

On the game, Killie perhaps shaded it but there wasn't a lot in it. The thing that got me about Killie, was they had more physical power, strength and speed than us and very hands on in defence, not to forget elbows Boyd. I'm sure they won't get away with the holding and elbows on Sunday like they did last night.

Boyd is cheating a wage at Killie, has been since he left them last time around, leading with his elbows numerous times throughout and would dance like a wee shitebag on the other contact occasions. Their line up plays into our hands, McCracken was a rock at the back only the gloved black player caused Leahy problems.

Vaulks was my mom even without the goal, had fears that he would get booked and miss Sundays tie but he was superb in there, had to be cause Kerr was poor.

I think we were a bit nervy also last nite and perhaps Houstie used his sub's with Sunday in mind. I think we will score on Sunday, do Killie have three goals in them ?

Only halftime but its gonna be nervy in both ends of support

McDonald was shite for us over a season, never seen a keeper so chained to his line than him, kicking was poor and decision making poor, he showed all of the above again last night, he may have done well for Killie, let's not forget where Killie ended up.

On the game, Killie perhaps shaded it but there wasn't a lot in it. The thing that got me about Killie, was they had more physical power, strength and speed than us and very hands on in defence, not to forget elbows Boyd. I'm sure they won't get away with the holding and elbows on Sunday like they did last night.

Boyd is cheating a wage at Killie, has been since he left them last time around, leading with his elbows numerous times throughout and would dance like a wee shitebag on the other contact occasions. Their line up plays into our hands, McCracken was a rock at the back only the gloved black player caused Leahy problems.

Vaulks was my mom even without the goal, had fears that he would get booked and miss Sundays tie but he was superb in there, had to be cause Kerr was poor.

I think we were a bit nervy also last nite and perhaps Houstie used his sub's with Sunday in mind. I think we will score on Sunday, do Killie have three goals in them ?

Only halftime but its gonna be nervy in both ends of support

My point was that McDonald has been good for us this season and we may well have been relegated already if it were not for him . Agreed he looked nervous last night and as everybody knows a goalkeepers faults are more in focus than any other players. How many players lose the ball in midfield or defence that leads to a goal and are they remembered? No is the answer .

My question to his critics is would you rather have had Samson or Brennan in goal for us this season ?

Falkirk's luck will run out.

Killie will win 2-0, scoring the winner in injury time.

Cue a hilarious greetfest in the Away End.

GIRUY LEE MILLER AND TOTTEN.

Fucking hell, just watched the highlights and wish I hadn't.

Tope clearly should have gone down for a blatant penalty.

Sibbald's clearance is actually a cracker when you see it again.

Tope should have scored his 1v1 and Boyd's header straight at the keeper is frustrating, as is his one over the bar.

Watching the passer and scorer stand completely unmarked in the last minute of the game was just painful to see again.

TV pundits ...gotta love them lol .....the first half penalty shout for Killie >>> He should have went down to get the penalty cos contact was definitely made

the first half penalty shout for Falkirk>>.There was contact yes but he went down too easily

Just cant win can they ?? lol

My point was that McDonald has been good for us this season and we may well have been relegated already if it were not for him . Agreed he looked nervous last night and as everybody knows a goalkeepers faults are more in focus than any other players. How many players lose the ball in midfield or defence that leads to a goal and are they remembered? No is the answer .

My question to his critics is would you rather have had Samson or Brennan in goal for us this season ?

I was glad MacDonald went elsewhere after last season, I believe Rogers to be a step up for us although I'm not a huge fan of his, he doesn't have both legs chained to each goalpost. A good few of our fans point out MacDonald being superb in the Hibs semi last season, all I seen was routine expectant saves, I've seen him make some amazing saves for Killie this season, the likes he never done with us but that's how it goes. I think he had a similar type season with Hearts and they freed him with no real tears from Hearts fans.

Keepers of course have a hard job, mistake can lead to goal and a save later doesn't fully make up, whereas we have seen defenders make mistakes= goal and make up fully with a big assist or goal, the mistake tho is not forgotten just a bit blame is cut if they make up

I've said this 100 times probably but we were spoilt with McGovern so MacDonald was always on a hiding to nothing.

I'm just so glad we have no players suspended as we do have a small squad and the tainted booking system didn't fuk us up

Archived