Homebrewing Thread 2016

Fellow homebrewers..there must be a few of you out there and apologies if there is another thread on the go.

What do you have on the go right now? Any suggestions or recommendations for this year ??

Im brewing tonight....a lovely Belgian White Whale recipe based on Kronenburg Blanc. Im going to add fresh pineapple juice and pineapple extract to the secondary fermenter instead of bitter orange and coriander seed.

Should be tasty tasty very very tasty.

I brewed a big (20 litre) batch of Caxton's ale a couple of months back.  It's decent, but has loads of sediment, which tastes disgusting (as I found to my cost when siphoning near the bottle of the brewing bucket).  Have to be very careful when pouring.  

Anyway, I don't drink much so I still have about 25 bottles left and the longer they get left the more they ferment and more alcoholic they become.  :unsure:

My mates mate has got into it but my mate only drinks lager, so result I got a dozen bottles of ale, he said it was a 4%abv but was defo higher than that. Tasted lovely but also had the sediment in the bottom of the bottle, it became harder to pour by the 4th bottle. I'm hopeful he gets another batch.

I doubt I'd have the patience to do a brew myself.

Grimbo

My mates mate has got into it but my mate only drinks lager, so result I got a dozen bottles of ale, he said it was a 4%abv but was defo higher than that. Tasted lovely but also had the sediment in the bottom of the bottle, it became harder to pour by the 4th bottle. I'm hopeful he gets another batch.

I doubt I'd have the patience to do a brew myself.

Grimbo

Yeah i hear you..but in reality it takes an evenings work and then a wee bit here and there. Its worth the 3 or more week wait before you can tan it ðŸº

Yeah i hear you..but in reality it takes an evenings work and then a wee bit here and there. Its worth the 3 or more week wait before you can tan it ðŸº

3 weeks wait, that's where it falls down got me. 😩

I'd be "testing" it daily. Also there's the Lidl effect, you can buy bottles pre-brewed for around a quid a go & no sediment to be a wear about & only needs 1/2 an hour in the fridge.

Grimbo

3 weeks wait, that's where it falls down got me. 😩

I'd be "testing" it daily. Also there's the Lidl effect, you can buy bottles pre-brewed for around a quid a go & no sediment to be a wear about & only needs 1/2 an hour in the fridge.

Grimbo

Fair enough! ðŸ˜

I brewed 6 or 7 40-pint batches a while back and still have a lot of it left. I did a variety including lagers, stouts, IPA etc. The best one I did was based on a Coopers Irish stout kit with demerara sugar and black treacle, it turned out glorious and I just tanned the last one a couple of weeks ago which was over 2 years old. Hopefully the rest of the beers sitting in the garage will still be as good.

I was going to make another stout, and also try making some wine to keep the Mrs happy about all the kit taking up a portion of the kitchen.

I brewed 6 or 7 40-pint batches a while back and still have a lot of it left. I did a variety including lagers, stouts, IPA etc. The best one I did was based on a Coopers Irish stout kit with demerara sugar and black treacle, it turned out glorious and I just tanned the last one a couple of weeks ago which was over 2 years old. Hopefully the rest of the beers sitting in the garage will still be as good.

I was going to make another stout, and also try making some wine to keep the Mrs happy about all the kit taking up a portion of the kitchen.

Fantastic ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

2 year old..ooft thats gotta be tasty

Where can I get a home brew kit? I heard there was a man in Kirkcaldy with a decent shop but no idea if he's still there.

You can get them online from Brewferm. Various styles and sizes.

Where can I get a home brew kit? I heard there was a man in Kirkcaldy with a decent shop but no idea if he's still there.

I started off with a kit from ebay similar to this. Once you have all this equipment you only need to buy the individual beer kits for £20-25 for 40 pints worth. Not sure if they still do it, but assuming you're in Dundee I used to buy my stuff from Tesco Kingsway and they often had it for half price or less.

Would recommend it, it's very satisfying when it turns out drinkable and there's a huge variety to try even before modifying recipes with your own ingredients.

Archived