Still Game & Best Bits

smpar

• 2 weeks later...
Sanjeev Kohli posted the other day that it was his last ever time playing Navid on Still Game. Hope they end it after this season tbh. They'll no doubt replace him with a Methadone Mick-esque character.
Has it not already been confirmed this will be the last season?

• 3 weeks later...

Watched 7 last week and it got me binge watching again. 7 was actually OK for the most part. It's still comfortably the worst one they've produced until that point but there were still a few laughs.

Isa diving behind the bar is where they jumped the shark for me. Victor being dragged by Zeus came close in 7 but that is actually believable as a Great Dane could easily pull some off their feet. A 70 odd year old woman diving on a hard floor and thinking nothing of it isn't really believable. Mick never featured as much in 7 either which is a bonus. I'll rewatch 8 when Netflix get it but I expect it to be as bad as I remember.

Having sat through them all again, for me what makes Still Game so funny is the dialogue. It has it's fair share of physical comedy but it was never reliant on that. The banter is what made it. The scene where Victor accuses Jack of eating 4 teacakes is a prime example: Absolutely nothing funny to look at happens in that scene yet it's hilarious. There were so many scenes similar to this.

I really hope they focus on their dialogue in 9 and not in falling over Miranda style or it'll be even worse than 8. It'll still go down as one of the country's best sitcoms but it would be nice if they could finish on a high.

Watched 7 last week and it got me binge watching again. 7 was actually OK for the most part. It's still comfortably the worst one they've produced until that point but there were still a few laughs.

Isa diving behind the bar is where they jumped the shark for me. Victor being dragged by Zeus came close in 7 but that is actually believable as a Great Dane could easily pull some off their feet. A 70 odd year old woman diving on a hard floor and thinking nothing of it isn't really believable. Mick never featured as much in 7 either which is a bonus. I'll rewatch 8 when Netflix get it but I expect it to be as bad as I remember.

Having sat through them all again, for me what makes Still Game so funny is the dialogue. It has it's fair share of physical comedy but it was never reliant on that. The banter is what made it. The scene where Victor accuses Jack of eating 4 teacakes is a prime example: Absolutely nothing funny to look at happens in that scene yet it's hilarious. There were so many scenes similar to this.

I really hope they focus on their dialogue in 9 and not in falling over Miranda style or it'll be even worse than 8. It'll still go down as one of the country's best sitcoms but it would be nice if they could finish on a high.
That was one of many glaring issues last season where the patter seemed so forced and predictable.

Case in point being when they're having a lock in at the pub in the episode that Eric dies - hardly any of the patter is actually funny, the digs aimed at Boaby are so obvious and the fact that the characters laugh at it more than the viewer looks to me like they were trying to signpost which bits to laugh at. Almost like a light track

Currently on episode 2 of series 7 and strange to see that Methadone Mick's first appearance under the bridge is actually pretty funny when he's just being a junky rather than a philosophical w**k. Albeit as one of Still Game's excellent one off characters rather than the regular that some lunatic decided he should be

i loved the scene in the episode "hyperdales" when j and v walk into naveeds and hes ripping into them about their age and jack responds to "what can i get you?" with "2 coffins ya b*****d". cracjs me up everytime

• 3 weeks later...

Another stage show on sale Friday, supposedly the final final final one, 5 shows scheduled at the Hydro but it'll end up being 20-odd. Suppose it maybe puts to bed the idea the TV series ends with one of them dying, maybe not and there'll be some kind of retcon.

I thought the first one was decent but the second one was just a bit too much of a musical- albeit I was severely scooped after hospitality at the Hydro.

15 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Another stage show on sale Friday, supposedly the final final final one, 5 shows scheduled at the Hydro but it'll end up being 20-odd. Suppose it maybe puts to bed the idea the TV series ends with one of them dying, maybe not and there'll be some kind of retcon.

I thought the first one was decent but the second one was just a bit too much of a musical- albeit I was severely scooped after hospitality at the Hydro.

I thought the 2nd one was excellent and much funnier than the 1st.  In fact I'd go as far to say that I would rather see it on stage than on TV right now.

8 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

I thought the 2nd one was excellent and much funnier than the 1st.  In fact I'd go as far to say that I would rather see it on stage than on TV right now.

At least you could boo when Methadone Mick came on