Still Game & Best Bits

smpar

As much as I enjoyed that episode and the "hawf two" line, it's a plot that doesn't really stand up to much scrutiny. Would it have been that difficult to find out the times and platforms of trains arriving from Waterloo? And if that proved too difficult after all, and it seems that it does because they decide to check on arrivals from Euston, maybe phoning the boy back would've been worth a shot given that he wouldn't be leaving until the next day. Nice to see Shug and his lugs make their first appearance. 

Given they are auld duffers then the internet isn't really an option for them and they don't associate with anyone who could find out - possibly Boabby. It always feel like a distance for them to get into the City Centre so going the day before to ask is probably a bit much for them as well. In those circumstances I think it's plausible the best course of action is to go early morning and wait. It was 2002 so not everyone would have a mobile phone like today. I always assumed he was in the station using a phonebox so I don't think phoning him back would have been an option either.

On 24/04/2018 at 11:29, C. Muir said:

Seen them hundreds of times but like others I'm starting from the very beginning. Always a few funny lines you forget about regardless how often you've watched it. 

Like other others, I will probably race through them :lol:

Finished series 3 already :lol:

Cairds had me laughing all the way throughout. Brilliant plot line but brilliant sub plot too with Winstons accumulator. 

Given they are auld duffers then the internet isn't really an option for them and they don't associate with anyone who could find out - possibly Boabby. It always feel like a distance for them to get into the City Centre so going the day before to ask is probably a bit much for them as well. In those circumstances I think it's plausible the best course of action is to go early morning and wait. It was 2002 so not everyone would have a mobile phone like today. I always assumed he was in the station using a phonebox so I don't think phoning him back would have been an option either.

Excusing auld duffers from being unable to operate a phone whilst criticising auld duffers for being unable to use self scanning machines in a shop!!!
Is it because it's an "old episode"???[emoji6]

Excusing auld duffers from being unable to operate a phone whilst criticising auld duffers for being unable to use self scanning machines in a shop!!!
Is it because it's an "old episode"???[emoji6]

I never had a pop at the scanning episode tbf :)

Faimly wasn't as joke heavy as Flittin' and I had a wry smile at seeing Winston and Peggy fighting over something from the butcher's, but it was nice to see a bit more character development with Jack and Victor. Stuff like Victor's son helps the whole thing feel more relatable and realistic, rather than the recent series which makes everything feel like a dream happening in some timeless Summer Wine world.

5 hours ago, Rugster said:

FFS it's a comedy show not a Pulitzer prize nominated biopic, I really don't think it needs the entire plotline analysed to the nth degree. Just relax and enjoy it. 

A plot-hole is a plot-hole, and pointing one out honestly didn't require analyzing the "entire plotline to the nth degree". Unless n = 1.

Like I said, I enjoyed it well enough but it terms of the story line, I didn't think it was the strongest. YMMV.

On 4/27/2018 at 19:15, smpar said:

The “hawf two” line is one of the funniest moments in television history IMO. Brilliantly done.

The thing I like most about it is the fact that it's the same time that Shug thinks the train is coming at so Jack is spot on!

1.3 -- Cauld

Again, following on from Faimly, really surprised that this one happens so early in the first series. For my money, this is the first great episode. Not that I haven't enjoyed the first two, but this one just hits all its marks.

Pensioners (particularly fictitious pensioners) going arse over tit will always be funny and I liked the attention to detail of having their backs wet from the ice and snow -- kinda shows that they care about what they're doing. Isa belting to make the doors is hilarious in the same way that the Xenomorph scampering across a Glaswegian landing to get to Ripley would be terrifying. The interaction between Isa and the boys is terrific, as is the reveal of dead Willie Napier. "I'm no Quincy, Jack, but I'd say he was deid, aye." It feels unusual for a sitcom to tackle death so head-on.

The Mankie Frankie bit, along with Willie's phone being disconnected, are probably the only bits of padding in the episode. There's no real pay-off for that scene in Frankie's flat, other than introducing the character for later episodes, and it screams out that the episode was running short. The kiddie's ride in the flat was funny but the best line: "Yer dad's deid. Ye'd better come up."

10 mins in, and we explore the thrust of the episode. It's cauld. Leccy is expensive. Pensioners are poor.

Then off to The Clansman where Jack, with a cheeky wink, perfectly delivers the line, "Every time I shag your wife, she makes me a sandwich." Nice introduction of the Hypothermia Sweepstakes. Next it's counting bars in Sweaty Winston's flat. What are the videos he has? North and something familiar that I somehow remembered starred a Fonda and turns out to be The Assassin with Bridget. The speed that the meter goes round when he takes off the magnet is hilarious, even if that's probably hundreds of pounds worth in a few seconds.

In addition to the 15p Milky Ways in the cafe, a pack of fags at Navid's would set you back around 4.40. What's the price these days? A tenner a pack yet? Great nod to the suspicion of the likes of The Wicker Man where everyone is in on it from Navid to the bookie to the cafe to the haziness in the kirk. Also, Blair's Britain.

Just a great episode. Very funny, social commentary, and the brass neck of being on the same level as Pete the Jakey. The heartfelt reminisce of the old Willie dream managed to put the feet of the episode firmly in the possible. All the lights going out is a fitting end.

Edited by MSU