Still Game & Best Bits

smpar

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2020 at 17:18, peasy23 said:

Been watching series 1 on BBC Scotland, it's on at 10pm on s Friday night. The first 3 series were consistently good, felt from series 4 onwards it was a bit more hit and miss. Don't know why but they showed the episodes out of order, Faimly was on last Friday, with one of the best after closing titles scenes.

Aye that scene is quality. I've got a box set and 'Faimly' is episode 2 on there and on Netflix, but according to Wiki, it was originally episode 4, and 'Waddin' was last.
The different theme music on Netflix annoys me a bit. Not that the original music was great.

Edited by The Mantis

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Just discovered I can get the entire run on Netflix here. I know I’ve seen up to the middle of season 7 and seen a lot of criticism of 8 & 9.
Is it worth watching or will it just drain my will to live?
First run through I found the new ones OK at best and mediocre for the most part. After re-watching them all a few months back 7 and 8 are actually decent enough viewing (excluding MM's scenes). They are nowhere near the peak years but I think they are decent enough. S9 was a massive massive drop in quality for me though. I'll give them another run-through and might change my mind like 7 and 8.

TL;DR, you'll probably not be impressed the first time (expectation maybe?) but you'll likely enjoy them more on second viewing.

Just discovered I can get the entire run on Netflix here. I know I’ve seen up to the middle of season 7 and seen a lot of criticism of 8 & 9.

1 or 2 of them are pretty good, another couple are watchable. A few are absolutely dreadful. Massive decline in quality overall. Basically going all in for OTT physical comedy as opposed to the patter based comedy that made the original run so successful.

They also shoehorn in characters who were funny when used sparingly before, such as Peggy and Fergy the ned. Peggy in particular gets more air time than she got in the whole first seven seasons. That's before you mention the wheely bin fire that is Methadone Mick.

All in all, it's shite but I'd watch it just cos it's Still Game, just less funny and looking a bit creepy in HD.

20 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

TL;DR, you'll probably not be impressed the first time (expectation maybe?) but you'll likely enjoy them more on second viewing.

Definitely better after a second viewing, although there’s still large parts of the episodes that are absolutely cringe inducing. Some of the acting is so wooden it makes Pinocchio look like a fluffy toy. 

1 or 2 of them are pretty good, another couple are watchable. A few are absolutely dreadful. Massive decline in quality overall. Basically going all in for OTT physical comedy as opposed to the patter based comedy that made the original run so successful.

They also shoehorn in characters who were funny when used sparingly before, such as Peggy and Fergy the ned. Peggy in particular gets more air time than she got in the whole first seven seasons. That's before you mention the wheely bin fire that is Methadone Mick.

All in all, it's shite but I'd watch it just cos it's Still Game, just less funny and looking a bit creepy in HD.
Aye the physical comedy they kind of made a rip-roaring arse of. Isa diving for the fitba in the pub was well and truly a 'Jumping the Shark' moment.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
20 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Aye the physical comedy they kind of made a rip-roaring arse of. Isa diving for the fitba in the pub was well and truly a 'Jumping the Shark' moment.

Worse than Isa continually falling over in the wet concrete?

21 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Ironically IIRC the Hogmanay episode isn't on Netflix as it was a "special" and not part of a series.

It's on BBC 1 after the Hogmanay programme, either watch it then or later on iplayer.

PAROKA!!!!

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Ironically IIRC the Hogmanay episode isn't on Netflix as it was a "special" and not part of a series.

It's on BBC 1 after the Hogmanay programme, either watch it then or later on iplayer.

PAROKA!!!!

There's two Hogmanay specials. The one being shown tonight (The Party) is the inferior of the two.

The better Hogmanay episode is the one where they go to the island.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There's two Hogmanay specials. The one being shown tonight (The Party) is the inferior of the two.

Yeah, Hootenanny IS on Netflix, The Party is not.

Edited by Arch Stanton

29 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

HAPPY NEW YEAR YA BUNCH OF SHEEP SHAGGERS 😂😂😂

34 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Yeah, Hootenanny IS on Netflix, The Party is not.

19 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

That’s a brilliant episode. Jack asking the barman if he had ever seen a £20 note before :lol: 

5 minutes ago, philpy said:

HAPPY NEW YEAR YA BUNCH OF SHEEP SHAGGERS 😂😂😂

It's an absolutely brilliant episode!