Still Game & Best Bits

smpar

Ugh. I desperately hope not.
Why else leave everyones death at some undetermined point in the future. I thought they would have done something really poignant but for me it was a cop out.

Isa finding both Jack and Victor away together or something like that. Or one of them finding the other.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Why else leave everyones death at some undetermined point in the future. I thought they would have done something really poignant but for me it was a cop out.

Isa finding both Jack and Victor away together or something like that. Or one of them finding the other.

Like I said, it was just lazy. They couldn't think of anything better, or couldn't be arsed to think of anything better.

Like I said, it was just lazy. They couldn't think of anything better, or couldn't be arsed to think of anything better.
Dunno about that. Surely the easiest tearjearker in comedy writing history. Hence why I suspect its deliberate to leave it open.

The ending was the best bit. Sad and poignant, but still celebrating their lives rather than emphasising their inevitable deaths. I loved all the fade out bits. And even Bobby getting to have the final word. I thought The Clansman was gonna fade out, too, either to dissappear, turn into housing or, worse, some shitey gastropub. Pleased to see it's still there in the future. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The ending was the best bit. Sad and poignant, but still celebrating their lives rather than emphasising their inevitable deaths. I loved all the fade out bits. And even Bobby getting to have the final word. I thought The Clansman was gonna fade out, too, either to dissappear, turn into housing or, worse, some shitey gastropub. Pleased to see it's still there in the future. 

If I was reading into it for some deep and meaningful I would say it was to show that there was nothing special about these people

Just normal members of a wee community. No fanfare when they went and the community went on without them. 

I would have preferred a more conventional ending though as I cant shake off what I have said above. Its to avoid finality. 

I thought it was with an eye towards the stage show being the final ending but yeah it is kept open. Can't see them bringing it back full time but I suppose you can't rule out a hogmanay special or something similar down the line. 

3 hours ago, pub car king said:

I don't see the ambiguity, they all die that's it. 

Agreed.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

You dont see that its clearly been left open for more?

Boaby is an old man with grey hair at the end. How could any of them still be alive?! 

Edited by DA Baracus

I thought it was with an eye towards the stage show being the final ending but yeah it is kept open. Can't see them bringing it back full time but I suppose you can't rule out a hogmanay special or something similar down the line. 

I’m leaning on Hogmanay specials eventually.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Agreed.

Boaby is an old man with grey hair at the end. How could any of them still be alive?! 

They cant. At that point. 

But the inference is that they didnt die the day it finished and as such leaves an indeterminate amount of time in which they can be easily explained as still going

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

They cant. At that point. 

But the inference is that they didnt die the day it finished and as such leaves an indeterminate amount of time in which they can be easily explained as still going

Aye I suppose.

I really hope not though.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

You dont see that its clearly been left open for more?

You can both be right. They are all dead... at some indertiminate point in the future. They could still squeeze in more episodes before that point. I really hope they don't as I thought the last couple of minutes was near perfect. 

My biggest fear would be that they do a show showing them as young men back in the day, like First of the Summer Wine. That would be an abomination. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

My biggest fear would be that they do a show showing them as young men back in the day, like First of the Summer Wine. That would be an abomination. 

Didn't they do that for one of the Christmas episodes?

You can both be right. They are all dead... at some indertiminate point in the future. They could still squeeze in more episodes before that point. I really hope they don't as I thought the last couple of minutes was near perfect. 
When it went on its hiatus, there was chat of them going down this route. Swiftly shelved thankfully

9 hours ago, GordonD said:

Didn't they do that for one of the Christmas episodes?

They did it once for a Hogmanay show as a flashback and it actually worked really well but only as a one off, definitely wouldn't work as an actual series.

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

They did it once for a Hogmanay show as a flashback and it actually worked really well but only as a one off, definitely wouldn't work as an actual series.

Agreed, given that it showed them meeting for the first time.