Still Game & Best Bits

smpar

I suppose if you're looking to pick plot holes then why would infamous skinflint Tam who married late in life have a life insurance policy, as he'd be way too old to be accepted for standard cover by the time he was married, there's no way he would have had one prior to that, and for one of those "guaranteed over 50s" plans you see advertised to have a payout of £23k he'd have to be shunting several hundred quid a month into.

I suppose they might still be getting income from sponsorship deals for their now invisible child.

Also, I know it's been said before but Isa looks the illest of the lot of them due to the weight Jane McCarry has lost, they obviously bulk her up with clothes but her face looks like she's on her last legs. Maybe she's the surprise death to tie that up.

It wasn't bad in an awful slapstick/lone wolf kind of way, but the whole episode just felt kind of drawn out and dull. Even the payoff of Tam's return with the insurance money was very underwhelming.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

It’s like the new simpsons. It just feels wrong. 

To be fair, it's nowhere near as bad as the descent of The Simpsons, which is as bad as it used to be good - with the budget the makers of The Simpsons have at their disposal to employ whole teams of writers, they have no excuse for the insulting all too slick corporate pish they've been turning out for years.

Still Game hit an all-time low with that Lone Wolf shite, but I don't  begrudge the lads and lasses one last paycheque - this series feels like a testimonial match - fair enough, because the early shows were great. 

They’re held up as great comedic writers and have done some fantastic stuff but hardly any of it is funny or original. They know that they’ve built up such a fantastic following that it will get high ratings anyway. They could and should have left it or went for a one off film.

Could they not use other good up and coming Scottish comedians like the Burnistoun guys or Limmy to give it an edge. It’s far too safe and boring comedy.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

They’re held up as great comedic writers and have done some fantastic stuff but hardly any of it is funny or original. They know that they’ve built up such a fantastic following that it will get high ratings anyway. They could and should have left it or went for a one off film.

Could they not use other good up and coming Scottish comedians like the Burnistoun guys or Limmy to give it an edge. It’s far too safe and boring comedy.

I've no doubt that there are young up-and-coming writers in Scotland  - not convinced that the Burnistoun lads or even Limmy are massively better, as good as they can be at times.

If the BBC Comedy Unit are content to fall back on their roster of staff writers (and I would include Limmy and the Burnistoun boys in that), I don't think it would be a great improvement on the Still Game writers.

If we're seriously talking about a series going out on a high, that would have been two or three series back - this is a wee pension booster for the cast and crew - pleased for them to be getting it. :)

Edited by paranoid android

I quite enjoyed last night's episode. It obviously wasn't on the level of the early series, but there were some nice touches. Even the use of Mick was reasonable.

The only thing that really annoyed me was the theft of Navid's van being drawn out with them rolling down the window to shout at him.

59 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The only thing that really annoyed me was the theft of Navid's van being drawn out with them rolling down the window to shout at him.

I had a horrible feeling the guy shouting was going to do a wolf howl - I wasn't watching closely enough to see if it was the same actor as last week.

But where was Meena? I thought she might have been in the back of the van.

42 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:
6 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:
Just realised where I'd seen Frances before!
fhd996TRS_Hugh_Ross_001.jpg&key=385f4689c57acc2b8d7e5c3f12a73d52333e8d2e621b6ea1980b1f4ba798d831

I think she's in Rab C Nesbitt as well. Maybe as a naturist? I could've just dreamt this of course.

She's a Scottish actress, which means she's been in everything made here at one time or another, including at least three Taggarts.

48 minutes ago, GordonD said:

She's a Scottish actress, which means she's been in everything made here at one time or another, including at least three Taggarts.

It must be tough for up and coming Scottish actors now that they can't appear in Taggart or Take the High Road.

On 17/03/2019 at 00:39, JamieStevenson said:

Come on now. There's always a place in River City or Shetland. 

In season 3 of Shetland I'm sure both Tam and Frances have parts :lol: 

Last weeks episode was excellent and miles better than the ones earlier on.  No stupid catch phrases, no slapstick just the banter which has been missing for so long.  2 more episodes like this and I'll be sad that it's finished.  If it goes back to the previous episodes then I'll not be fussed.