Still Game & Best Bits

smpar

Another thing I’ve noticed is that since they brought it back they seem not to have ideas for episodes, and instead are trying to stretch what should be little skits into full episodes.

Examples: Jack stuck in the bath a while back. That might have worked as a sketch, but it makes no sense in an episode, especially given they kept the line that the water was “starting to get cold” after he’d supposedly been trapped in it for twelve hours.

The plastic pie. You can get away with them not noticing it for the length of a short sketch, but over a full episode it doesn’t work.

Winston going viral. This might lead to a good sketch of his attempts to milk it, but over the course of an episode they had to find ways of showing his fame fall apart.

There are loads of these - little ideas that you can get away with when you’re just making a skit, but which fall apart or require all logic and reality to be jettisoned when you try and form them into episode-long plots. 

My wife and I both watched this and for the first time we both thought it was absolute rubbish. Preferred last week and that was poor. Hope it improves as we love the show but think it’s had it’s time .
I suppose it's subjective but the latest episode was far better than the awful first episode.

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

Fan service. That’s what the series has been since they brought it back a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the casual fans they seem to be pandering to are the thickest, most easily amused and catchphrase-loving mouth breathers. Have a look on Twitter or Facebook Still Game pages after an episode and witness the army of misspelled paeans to Methadone Mick.

(That said, I’ve noticed that this series seems to be drawing more criticism across the board for Mick and the panto shite. However, as it’s the final series, it’s all a bit late as they’ve clearly run with the idiot collective’s mass-spunking over the shitiest parts of the last two series.) 

This is spot on. It’s like they’ve gone full on Andy Millman in Extras and have accepted that playing to the catchphrase-loving morons will get better ratings and more cash than something that’s genuinely funny.

Fan service. That’s what the series has been since they brought it back a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the casual fans they seem to be pandering to are the thickest, most easily amused and catchphrase-loving mouth breathers. Have a look on Twitter or Facebook Still Game pages after an episode and witness the army of misspelled paeans to Methadone Mick.
(That said, I’ve noticed that this series seems to be drawing more criticism across the board for Mick and the panto shite. However, as it’s the final series, it’s all a bit late as they’ve clearly run with the idiot collective’s mass-spunking over the shitiest parts of the last two series.) 

Casual fan?

On 3/2/2019 at 19:02, Honest_Man#1 said:

This is spot on. It’s like they’ve gone full on Andy Millman in Extras and have accepted that playing to the catchphrase-loving morons will get better ratings and more cash than something that’s genuinely funny.

Got to bear in mind that these guys made Chewin' The Fat - at least half of that show was just catchphrase after catchphrase, repeated and worn so thin it was painful.

The first episode had its moments, I suppose. I quite liked the opening few minutes but it went downhill pretty fast. The lone wolf episode was a new low. Dreadful stuff. 

The first episode had its moments, I suppose. I quite liked the opening few minutes but it went downhill pretty fast. The lone wolf episode was a new low. Dreadful stuff. 
Most annoying thing about it was that a wee guy shoplifting, and Naveed trying to bust him, then eventually helping him, theres nothing wrong with that as a storyline. But to over egg it with the lone wolf shite.... What the f**k were they thinking?

I can't bring myself to watch this anymore.

I gave up last series halfway through the episode they were playing 5s and haven't cast an eye on it since.

Dreadfully unfortunate as the first 5 series cements it as the finest sitcom ever to come out of this country. Series 6 had begun to decline a wee bit but it's completely dropped off a cliff since it's return.

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
32 minutes ago, MSU said:

Most annoying thing about it was that a wee guy shoplifting, and Naveed trying to bust him, then eventually helping him, theres nothing wrong with that as a storyline. But to over egg it with the lone wolf shite.... What the f**k were they thinking?

Absolutely. A decent enough premise totally fucked. If the Lone Wolf thing didn't scream shite from the page, surely it must have when they started filming it. I find it hard to believe that two guys who clearly know how to write can't recognize such glaring problems in the script. Or maybe they just don't care anymore.