Still Game & Best Bits

smpar

Just watched half of it there takes the BBC to f**k up a good series, I think there ploy of retiring Jack and Victor was to make an episode so poor no one would miss them when they went. Its almost as if they tried to make a Scottish version of Last of the Summer Wine as someone has mentioned.

3 hours ago, Wasperoonie said:
6 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:
I've not seen series eight. Thought tonight's episode was quite poor. Shall I bother with series eight when it arrives on Netflix or was it a similar standard? 

Series 8 is now on iPlayer.

Ah cheers, might watch it today while I'm off sick. 

Didn’t get a chance to watch it tonight and, going by the fact Methadone Mick is in it, I’m considering not bothering catching up with it on the IPlayer. Is it even worth it for the cringe?
Mick is an easy target (rightly so) but take him out of this episode and it was still shite. As somebody else has said this episode might have worked 10 years ago. Wasn't there a similar one recently about them discovering the internet?

The bad thing in my eye is that every new episode has potential, but between trying too hard and making Isa, Mick, boaby and even Winston main characters isn’t working.

Last nights episode should have been better.

2 hours ago, happysouth said:
10 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:
Didn’t get a chance to watch it tonight and, going by the fact Methadone Mick is in it, I’m considering not bothering catching up with it on the IPlayer. Is it even worth it for the cringe?

Mick is an easy target (rightly so) but take him out of this episode and it was still shite. As somebody else has said this episode might have worked 10 years ago. Wasn't there a similar one recently about them discovering the internet?

It was series 8 with Mick after a shot of a computer to do an online yachtsman course,  bit of a weird one as they done all the gadgets on Ep 1 of series 8 would have made a bit more sense to do it then.

The south africa one was much better in the stage show as well than the episode.

I felt that the Jack & Victor bits in the first half were alright.  Banter with Bobby in the bar, the confusion in the phone shop and the first few times they used their phone. Beefy bake consumption.

Everything else was just utterly shite. Winston taking his leg off and throwing it at the mugger was insulting to watch. Then the tired repeating off his catchphrase became tiring after 2 goes.  At one point I thought that it could be good if Winston tried to milk his celebrity status by trying to get freebies but it of course turned into him making shite Youtube videos. 

As per usual the best lines were with Tam.   Only reason I'm watching is because it's the last season and even then it'll be on catch up most weeks.

Edited by The Minertaur

I didn't have an issue with the premise of the episode. Series 6 probably ended before absolutely everyone had a phone and if we're to believe the new ones are just a continuation then it's not inconceivable to think they would be buying mobiles. My issue was they never did anything original or even funny. It was so predictable as well. As soon as they tried to make a viral video I said to my Mrs - "This will end with them getting lots of hits as a result of something they never planned". The only surprise was that it was them crying, not falling on their arse.

Even the scene with them crying was absolutely awful. There have been times in Still Game where I've had a lump in the throat. It was trying to be funny with it last night. Why have them going over the top with tears and snotters? Had they just had a wee sob next to each other it would have been a potentially lovely scene but instead it was turned into a cheap laugh which wasn't amusing. In the past we've had them at the graveside. We got a laugh from it but it was Jack poking fun at Victor for his actions. Not the fact he missed his wife. We could see they both do. Later we see Jack sitting with his wedding photo clearly feeling guilty about seeing a new woman. Then Victor has a talk with him and it's another really touching scene. Auld Bert tells us how he misses his wife by explaining how she used to do everything for him. He was visibly upset and struggling with the loss. In any of those scenes it would have been totally out of the blue and not funny had they started crying like Timon and Pumba and nowhere near as touching. Yet last night it was acceptable? Why has it now become funny to laugh at them for missing their wives rather than empathising with them?

I didn't intend to waffle on but it's actually angering me somewhat given how well the characters were written in the past. It feels so rushed now and always after a cheap laugh. I thought the pub gag was lazy and woeful as well tbh. The only thing I laughed at last night was Victor having an apparent heart attack doing the ice bucket challenge. They've done stand alone ridiculous gags throughout the show and they've been funny. The problem now is that's all the show appears to be and the depth and quality of writing just isn't there.

I hope for an improvement on Thursday but the last few episodes scream of "lets just get it done" so I'm not holding my breath.

Still Game was never side splitting every second of every episode when it was at its best.  That was part of the charm. It dealt with some quite sensitive and dark issues associated with growing old but had that wicked humour around it (hypothermia etc) 

It's trying far too hard to be a laugh a minute comedy and that's never ever what it was. 

4 minutes ago, GordonD said:

And yet I predict that all the people who've slagged it off will watch the next episode (and then slag that off too).

I definitely will. May as well see how it ends, now. Quitting now would be like watching your team week in, week out, through a whole terrible season, then not bothering to turn up for the last-day relegation decider. 

44 minutes ago, GordonD said:

And yet I predict that all the people who've slagged it off will watch the next episode (and then slag that off too).

Absolutely. I might as well see it off.

Anyway, it's downfall is just that of the Simpsons. Early Simpsons was absolutely untouchable. Then the writing got shite and it became a 'whacky' cheap load of old pish that always went for the lazy gags and demeaned the characters, as well as eroding the love for many of it's beloved characters. It too had a lot of charm and surprisingly effective emotional moments that helped you connect even more with the characters, but which were replaced with lame and limp moments that did nothing to serve the characters and wiped away any trace of emotion that might be there. 

Still Game is just the same, but doesn't have the excuse of all the best writers leaving, seeing as it's the same two guys writing it now as it was then.

I don't think I've laughed at Still Game since it came back, certainly not the way I did in the past. It's a try-hard now - the exact opposite of what made it funny in the original run. Some of the attempts at humour are so blatant, it's almost become a physical comedy. 

Methadone Mick is a fucking terrible character. Truly awful.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Absolutely. I might as well see it off.

Anyway, it's downfall is just that of the Simpsons. Early Simpsons was absolutely untouchable. Then the writing got shite and it became a 'whacky' cheap load of old pish that always went for the lazy gags and demeaned the characters, as well as eroding the love for many of it's beloved characters. It too had a lot of charm and surprisingly effective emotional moments that helped you connect even more with the characters, but which were replaced with lame and limp moments that did nothing to serve the characters and wiped away any trace of emotion that might be there. 

Still Game is just the same, but doesn't have the excuse of all the best writers leaving, seeing as it's the same two guys writing it now as it was then.

Still game suffers because a lot of the best parts were the patter they used, boaby being called a p***k was funny first couple of times, no its shite, 

Still game wasn't funny because of the situations they were in, they helped but it wasnt the focal point, for example, when victor bought his car, the whole bidding bit, was alright, nothing special, then when he wins it and he's giving it the "get it up ye" patter, that made it funny

However the patter has been used, its no funny anymore, kinda like winston in last nights episode, 

Still game suffers because a lot of the best parts were the patter they used, boaby being called a p***k was funny first couple of times, no its shite, 
Still game wasn't funny because of the situations they were in, they helped but it wasnt the focal point, for example, when victor bought his car, the whole bidding bit, was alright, nothing special, then when he wins it and he's giving it the "get it up ye" patter, that made it funny
However the patter has been used, its no funny anymore, kinda like winston in last nights episode, 
I feel like the 'two pints p***k' line has been said more during the last two seasons than it was the first six. So forced and feels like they're just trying to cram a catchphrase in there