Still Game & Best Bits

smpar

“It’s deid! He must have died, then they cut his phone aff, because he didnae pay his bill, because he couldnae.. because he was deid.”

“Cauld” remains my go-to episode if I haven’t watched Still Game for a while, and I’ve probably seen it more than any other. It’s another episode with some of the series’ most memorable lines as well as a good story to it.

Jack’s “and wur arseholes” retort to Winston, as well as the above detective work, are two comments/lines that are consistent with Jack’s character for the vast majority of the series; he’s a bit naïve, not exactly stupid but certainly not quite as clever or quick-witted as Victor and Jack often needs his pal to correct him or even ‘bring him back to earth’ when he starts to go off on a tangent.

“It’s deid! He must have died, then they cut his phone aff, because he didnae pay his bill, because he couldnae.. because he was deid.”

“Cauld” remains my go-to episode if I haven’t watched Still Game for a while, and I’ve probably seen it more than any other. It’s another episode with some of the series’ most memorable lines as well as a good story to it.

Jack’s “and wur arseholes” retort to Winston, as well as the above detective work, are two comments/lines that are consistent with Jack’s character for the vast majority of the series; he’s a bit naïve, not exactly stupid but certainly not quite as clever or quick-witted as Victor and Jack often needs his pal to correct him or even ‘bring him back to earth’ when he starts to go off on a tangent.

One of my all time favourites as well.

“Is he deid?”

“Well I’m no Quincy, Jack. But I’d say he was deid aye.”

Courtin' was the first episode of Still Game I ever watched. I got it on video and I think it was 3 episodes to a tape. Still one of the best IMO.

"That's a message fae Bobo Mitchell."
"See ye in another 15 year."

It's a sweet episode as Jack deals with the guilt of moving on from his dead wife with Isabel from Take The High Road. I kinda feel the same way about Edith as I do about Mick.

Did Victor say they were from Craigbank the first time they went into the charity shop?

It's always irked me...the shagged your wife makes me a sandwich line...its a well used but funny line in comedy. But Boaby doesn't have a wife. Surely replace Wife with Maw in this instance and it would be a humdinger of a put down.

It's always irked me...the shagged your wife makes me a sandwich line...its a well used but funny line in comedy. But Boaby doesn't have a wife. Surely replace Wife with Maw in this instance and it would be a humdinger of a put down.

Think it's just another example of them not really settling on a lot of back stories for some characters for a while. Maybe they initially planned to have him married.

Few things they say in the early episodes are contradicted later

12 hours ago, C. Muir said:

Edith and Barbara have come a long way since that episode. Theresa (Edith) killed Liz (Barbara) in River City the other night :lol:

Naw am no having this there's nae way that Theresa in River City is played by the same person that plays Edith :lol:

8 hours ago, MSU said:

It's a sweet episode as Jack deals with the guilt of moving on from his dead wife with Isabel from Take The High Road. I kinda feel the same way about Edith as I do about Mick.

Did Victor say they were from Craigbank the first time they went into the charity shop?

Definitely did, which had me wondering if Craiglang was named in the episodes before... but then it was, because they call it a shitehole in the first episode. Whoops.

I always kinda assumed that the “patter merchants fae Craigbank” line was Victor quoting exactly what Barbara had said to poke fun at how she got the name of the area wrong as opposed to a continuity error.