I'm very aware that Chris' family and friends might read this thread and I myself don't really want to discuss or speculate as to his particular set of circumstances but I think it's fair to say that we are of a demograph that's very susceptible to mental health issues and certainly in not discussing or disclosing it.

If absolutely any good can come from this then it would hopefully be that someone, anyone, takes time to think about their own mental health and seeks help or advice on how to deal or cope with it.

I'm no expert but I imagine a simple google search could be that first step that could, hopefully, start a journey towards the support and advice that could make the difference.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That approach hasn't worked so far, fair enough not mentioning that it was a train,overdose etc but withholding the fact that it was suicide does nowt to help those suffering depression in the long run.

The likes of the BBC are quoting that the cause of death has not been released. I dont know the reason for that, and Im not going to speculate, but there must be one. 

I dont know why the Record or the Sun chose to go against this but it sure as hell wasnt to champion the cause of mental health.

The likes of the BBC are quoting that the cause of death has not been released. I dont know the reason for that, and Im not going to speculate, but there must be one. 

I dont know why the Record or the Sun chose to go against this but it sure as hell wasnt to champion the cause of mental health.

Those pair only ever champion themselves.

I don't know enough about mental health but I do feel that not disclosing that it was suicide due to mental health just perpetuates the feeling that there's something to be ashamed about.

I don't know enough about mental health but I do feel that not disclosing that it was suicide due to mental health just perpetuates the feeling that there's something to be ashamed about.

Fair enough and I wouldnt disagree. However, that decision was taken by whoever chose not to disclose the cause of death. Its not the place of individual newspapers to simply ignore that and publish it anyway

The idea is not to glorify suicide, or present it as a way out. When you're in the grip of depression your perceptions of what is best are completely altered, such that suicide can seem to be the only option. It's not, but that's something that you can often only grasp when you are not ill - and often people don't make it to that stage as they don't get help.

I realise that's not the point you're making, but it is something that there are very clear guidelines issued to cover, and tabloids often choose to ignore as it takes away from the shock nature of reporting.

I am aware as other posters have mentioned that I am making presumptions on Chris' mental health and the cause of death, so perhaps I should stop there.

I posted a link to the samaratins guidelines further up.

I've been that ill, it's horrendous. Your ability to think rationally goes. I've been on a platform and talked down. I've been admitted to hospital three times deprecate to that incident as i wasn't safe. I'm lucky and fortunate to have the support.

I've already said, we shouldn't hide suicide or mental health. But those headlines aren't the way to do it.

I'm pretty sure it breaks guidelines on the reporting of suicide. I saw it in the shop and emailed samh about it. No need and totally tasteless.

I may be talking nonsense here but I'm pretty certain that newspapers require a family member's permission to post a photo of someone in an article regarding their suicide. Reading the sun story it says his family refused to speak to them, so I'm pretty skeptical they've sought out permission to use his photo.

Regardless, it's horrific to hear that someone's lost their life under the circumstances. R.I.P and thoughts with his family and friends.

The idea is not to glorify suicide, or present it as a way out. When you're in the grip of depression your perceptions of what is best are completely altered, such that suicide can seem to be the only option. It's not, but that's something that you can often only grasp when you are not ill - and often people don't make it to that stage as they don't get help.

I realise that's not the point you're making, but it is something that there are very clear guidelines issued to cover, and tabloids often choose to ignore as it takes away from the shock nature of reporting.

I am aware as other posters have mentioned that I am making presumptions on Chris' mental health and the cause of death, so perhaps I should stop there.

Good post.

He had a pretty bad back injury at the end of his time with us. I think that had a lot more to do with him ending up part time than anything else.

I'm not suggesting it's been part of his actions but as someone who is currently suffering from a chronic back injury at the moment and having done so for the past 6 months, I can certainly empathise as to how difficult it is to stay positive through it.

It must be horrendous to have your talent taken from you in such a debilitating and degrading manner (as trust me, there's no other real description for it, the pain is absolutely degrading).

Thoughts are with this poor guy's family and friends. I hope they find some peace of mind in time.

Just a really horrible situation and very sad. Footballers are in such a high pressure environment where you could be out of a job in a very short space of time be it a bad injury or just a manager not liking you. Guys like Iain Russell have been very open about their battles with depression but you wonder how many more people like Chris there are out there and what could be done to help footballers in such scenarios. You don't ever perceive footballers to be vulnerable so it just such a shock that something like this can happen so suddenly.

Mitch like any of the Queens squads the from 2012-15 was immense, you very rarely see such a good set piece taker at this level, he was very consistent and very rarely put in a bad game. He was a crucial part of the promotion team and with such set piece  abilities you always felt you would get at least one golden chance through him. One part of a very special Queens side that won't be forgotten. RIP.

Queens website has put an obituary up about him

http://www.qosfc.com/news-3186

Very sad to hear about this.

I doubt it had too much effect on him individually but maybe it will make some football fans think before they scream obscenities at players? If they are in a vulnerable state it could tip them over the edge. Just a thought and I've been guilty of doing the same myself.

Rip Chris.

I'm still struggling to take this horrific news in.

I can only echo all of the sentiments that have already been expressed.  He was a classy player and - on the couple of occasions I met him - he struck me as being a very decent, level-headed and honest bloke.  I can't begin to imagine what sort of state of mind leads to such a sad situation.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.  RIP.

Archived