• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clyde manager Barry Ferguson has issued a statement, following the death of former squad member Chris Mitchell.

"On behalf of myself, the staff and the players at Clyde I'd like to say a few words about Chris," he said. "We're all totally devastated by the news.

"I signed Chris and got to know him as his manager; he was an important part of our team. On the park he was great for me and he had one of the best set piece deliveries I've worked with in football. In addition to that I can honestly say, hand on heart, I never had a minute's trouble with Chris. He was an excellent professional.

"He was a great guy around the dressing room. It's sometimes easy to say these things after tragic news, but it's completely true.

"I was really disappointed to lose him from the squad in January, but I had to respect the opportunity he had in full-time employment. We were both open to the idea of him coming back to Clyde in the future.

"Our condolences go out to Chris's family and our thoughts are with them. I know that the boys will give it everything in the play-off final this week for Chris, to do him and his family proud."

Such a weird feeling, never met the guy but when you watch someone play football week in, week out for years with your club, it feels like you knew them personally. He was certainly a gifted player and was a key part in many of my fondest memories as a Queens fan. Devastating news, thoughts go out to his friends and family. RIP.

Horrible news. At Clyde we are having a minutes silence and a minutes applause on the 16th minute.

how do you silently applaud for a minute? 

Such a weird feeling, never met the guy but when you watch someone play football week in, week out for years with your club, it feels like you knew them personally. He was certainly a gifted player and was a key part in many of my fondest memories as a Queens fan. Devastating news, thoughts go out to his friends and family. RIP.

This sums it up perfectly. He was fantastic during our promotion season, and had he not picked up an injury the season after I think he would have established himself at championship level. Horrible horrible news.

I think Iain Russell, someone who has been very open about his own battles with depression, put it very nicely on twitter earlier:

post-7957-14627492022589_thumb.jpg

Rest in peace, Chris.

So sad to hear. Been through a similar death if this is the case. Thoughts to his family.

Seen him a few times playing for Queens. RIP.

Horrendous illness and cannot be fully understood unless you are unfortunate enough to be a sufferer.

Sad, sad news.

A classy headline from the Daily Record, as always.

There was absolutely no need for the Record to have published that headline.. doesn't surprise me that they did though.

Archived