Weekend in Dundee

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was in the Greek at Gracie's in the ferry last weekend and have to say the food was amazing and it was nice and busy so a decent atmosphere. Actually enjoyed the food more than Sol y Sombra.

Was in the Thai in monifieth this week which was decent, portions could have been a little bigger but service and atmosphere were decent.

Food scene around here just now is pretty good. Somewhere good to each for pretty much every type of food.

15 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Was in the Greek at Gracie's in the ferry last weekend and have to say the food was amazing and it was nice and busy so a decent atmosphere. Actually enjoyed the food more than Sol y Sombra.

Was in the Thai in monifieth this week which was decent, portions could have been a little bigger but service and atmosphere were decent.

Food scene around here just now is pretty good. Somewhere good to each for pretty much every type of food.

Moved to Monifieth about three years ago but never tried the Thai place; heard good things though.

• 3 months later...
Bump

Any of the good lads have any views on the relative merits of castlehill v Tayberry v the Newport or anything else nearby for a tasting menu?

I tried tripadvisor but given they have Tahini as #3 restaurant in Dundee I'll give their advice a bye.

Tayberry is owned by the chef that made castlehill good.

Tried a place called the Beiderbeckes which is around the corner from The Globe pub and that's absolutely class. The atmosphere is labelled as a Jazz restaurant and it's pretty damn classy. Completely underrated.

Not tried the Newport yet, but it's in the Michelin guide. The tayberry has the guy who used to be the chef in castlehill which I think is slightly worse now he's left. Still really nice tho. Tayberry is quality, I had john dory with a macaroni 'fish finger', but I haven't tried tasting menu there.

I like tahini as well tho, so u may not be interested in opinion.

26 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Bump

Any of the good lads have any views on the relative merits of castlehill v Tayberry v the Newport or anything else nearby for a tasting menu?

I tried tripadvisor but given they have Tahini as #3 restaurant in Dundee I'll give their advice a bye.

Been to the Newport a few times and absolutely brilliant. Highly recommend.

33 minutes ago, Tamdunk said:

Not tried the Newport yet, but it's in the Michelin guide. The tayberry has the guy who used to be the chef in castlehill which I think is slightly worse now he's left. Still really nice tho. Tayberry is quality, I had john dory with a macaroni 'fish finger', but I haven't tried tasting menu there.

I like tahini as well tho, so u may not be interested in opinion.

Was in tahini a couple of weeks ago, I fairly enjoyed the first few courses but I'm positive all the meat was pre cooked and microwaved.

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Was in tahini a couple of weeks ago, I fairly enjoyed the first few courses but I'm positive all the meat was pre cooked and microwaved.

Yeah the meat course isn't the best, but the hot and cold mezzes are very nice.

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Tried a place called the Beiderbeckes which is around the corner from The Globe pub and that's absolutely class. The atmosphere is labelled as a Jazz restaurant and it's pretty damn classy. Completely underrated.

I went a few times when it was on Perth Road but forgot about it when it moved. Out of sight out of mind.

Walk past it every night and it just seems out of place. Kind of food/drink does it do? Or just a generic type place?

Walk past it every night and it just seems out of place. Kind of food/drink does it do? Or just a generic type place?

It has Budweiser but not the American one, it's from the Czech Republic and does lagers/beers/ales for each European country but by far it's most popular is the German beer they have on tap which name escapes me.

In terms of food, it's quite a classy bistro even has a substantial vegan section which doesn't really interest me. It's speciality judging from the menu is their stir fry. They do a whole host of different versions.

It has Budweiser but not the American one, it's from the Czech Republic and does lagers/beers/ales for each European country but by far it's most popular is the German beer they have on tap which name escapes me.

In terms of food, it's quite a classy bistro even has a substantial vegan section which doesn't really interest me. It's speciality judging from the menu is their stir fry. They do a whole host of different versions.

Their pepperjack cheese sauce is the best thing ever. My girlfriend used to work there! They do absolutely brilliant burgers and if you ask them to make you something that's not on the menu they will happily do it. No idea why the moved to where they are now though, it's a pain to get to if you're walking.

Archived