Cowdenbeath FC 2016/ 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interesting piece about Iain Jenkins...

Chester City FC: Iain Jenkins a big hit at Legends Night

Of all the Chester legends on show, none had made a bigger effort to be there than Jenkins.

Showing the kind of commitment and passion that made him such a hit with City's fans during his playing days in the 1990s, Jenkins drove 5 1/2 hours from his Cowdenbeath home to Chester.

But with typical modesty, the 37-year-old said: "it's not a massive commitment for me to come down here from Scotland because I would do anything for my former clubs, especially Chester City.

"The first result I look for each week is Chester City, so I don't count it as a token gesture to come here. I've not travelled 5 1/2 hours for this to be a token gesture.

" I've done it to be here for the fans who have done an awful lot to help me over the years. It feels like a payback. It's something that all ex-players should do and it's an absolute pleasure to be here."

Jenkins, currently enjoying success as assistant manager of Cowdenbeath in Division Two of the Scottish league, added: "The fans have got to stick together. Chester City is a family club and as long as the people in charge and the people around the club realise it is a family club the better it will be. We need to start making Chester City a family club again. That's the most important thing."

Here's a link to a video interview with Jenkins in his present position:

​

I'm sorry James Fowler has distanced himself from the Cowden job. I was going to suggest a "dream team" of Jenks and Fowler, with James getting his boots back on! Too bad.

interesting piece about Iain Jenkins...

Chester City FC: Iain Jenkins a big hit at Legends Night

Of all the Chester legends on show, none had made a bigger effort to be there than Jenkins.

Showing the kind of commitment and passion that made him such a hit with City's fans during his playing days in the 1990s, Jenkins drove 5 1/2 hours from his Cowdenbeath home to Chester.

But with typical modesty, the 37-year-old said: "it's not a massive commitment for me to come down here from Scotland because I would do anything for my former clubs, especially Chester City.

"The first result I look for each week is Chester City, so I don't count it as a token gesture to come here. I've not travelled 5 1/2 hours for this to be a token gesture.

" I've done it to be here for the fans who have done an awful lot to help me over the years. It feels like a payback. It's something that all ex-players should do and it's an absolute pleasure to be here."

Jenkins, currently enjoying success as assistant manager of Cowdenbeath in Division Two of the Scottish league, added: "The fans have got to stick together. Chester City is a family club and as long as the people in charge and the people around the club realise it is a family club the better it will be. We need to start making Chester City a family club again. That's the most important thing."

Here's a link to a video interview with Jenkins in his present position:

​

I'm sorry James Fowler has distanced himself from the Cowden job. I was going to suggest a "dream team" of Jenks and Fowler, with James getting his boots back on! Too bad.

Before Jenks time at Chester City. Chester played a friendly against Cowdenbeath at Central Park. I think the Chester manager played himself in the game and ended up hobbling off and ended up on crutches for the rest of the season.

Ron there's a great book about Chester City called on the borderline by the club historian chas summer. Think its now reprinted and available on amazon.

Before Jenks time at Chester City. Chester played a friendly against Cowdenbeath at Central Park. I think the Chester manager played himself in the game and ended up hobbling off and ended up on crutches for the rest of the season.

Ron there's a great book about Chester City called on the borderline by the club historian chas summer. Think its now reprinted and available on amazon.

I remember that game with Chester City a mid week game but there were a decent number of City gams up , it was in the summer of 1992.

I remember that game with Chester City a mid week game but there were a decent number of City gams up , it was in the summer of 1992.

Harry McNally was the manager in 1992. Chester City is of course no more and Chester Fc is the phoenix club.

The 2 clubs are very similar in terms of history.

I was there. I am sure that was the game where there was one Chester fan on his own singing an England song. Think it finished 1-1.

First thing new manager should do is go sign Jon robertson. If theres a better box to box midfielder available for league 2 at wages we can perhaps afford id like to see him. Plus he knows the club and has affinity with the club. Get Jon back in our midfield. He ran the show when stenny pumped us.

Bring back TOB as well!

Harry McNally was the manager in 1992. Chester City is of course no more and Chester Fc is the phoenix club.

The 2 clubs are very similar in terms of history.

Aye Harry McNally was manager they had Stuart Rimmer playing who had won an England cap while with Watford the guys on the terracing were slagging him about how the f**k did he get a game for England in their usual fashion!

I was there. I am sure that was the game where there was one Chester fan on his own singing an England song. Think it finished 1-1.

It was a draw Pele think your right saying 1-1 it was a pretty boring game if I remember.

Interesting Phil. Must look out for it.

TOB would cost a transfer fee doubt he would be back this season Vince.

Has Vince bought out/deposed BM? Hadn't heard the announcement.

Gordon McDougall told me ages ago that it took him 15 years to realise that appointing a new manager was the most significant decision a chairman had to make. I have a lot of sympathy for the chairman and board right now. Get it wrong, and we fall through the trap door, like East Stirling have just done. It's not too dramatic to say that we could end up losing our chairman and, indeed, our club. Central Park lies at the heart of a town that doesn't seem to care too much whether or not the club lives or dies. To be fair, lots of people are strapped for cash these days, And it's a thought to put down 14 or 15 quid to watch the kind of stuff served up last season.

Appointing Colin Nish made complete sense economically, since he was still on contract - thanks, Jimmy! - and we wanted to go down the player-manager route (which worked with Colin Cameron). In the event, Colin didn't play and, bluntly, couldn't manage; this meant that appointing a manager for largely economic reasons ended up hurting us economically, as well us edging us closer to the trap door. There's a good case for the view that both JN and CN should have been punted when the writing was on the wall, but that involves compensation payments and there's no guarantee that the new managerwho comes in will do the business. Anyway, it didn't happen.

The difference for the new season is that this really is make or break time. We can all dream about who we'd like to see in the hot seat; the reality is that the club, like the town, is strapped for cash, and if we are to live within our means, what we can offer financially is very limited.

We do need to get someone in soon, so that we start the new season on the front foot. And that 'someone' will have to sign bargain basement players if we are not to go down the financial tubes. And the fans, as ever, will have to contribute through season tickets, Roof Fall and fundraising events.

The decision not to re-appoint CN was the right one for the club. If he had been kept on it would have demoralised the support, and would have had an effect in terms of season ticket sales, fundraising etc. All of us need a lift after last season.  On the brighter side, Cowdenbeath has a good track record in giving younger managers a platform on which to build a career. Is there a Mixu out there who wants to make a start in management and is prepared to work hard for not a lot of money?

Sums it up perfectly K. Hope Nish disnae read it tho. I don't know if he knows he's not a manager yet. It'll be a bolt from the blue for him.

I just hope that our ex-players based in Edinburgh don't come back to haunt us.

Shittin masel awready for the coming season.

Gordon McDougall told me ages ago that it took him 15 years to realise that appointing a new manager was the most significant decision a chairman had to make. I have a lot of sympathy for the chairman and board right now. Get it wrong, and we fall through the trap door, like East Stirling have just done. It's not too dramatic to say that we could end up losing our chairman and, indeed, our club. Central Park lies at the heart of a town that doesn't seem to care too much whether or not the club lives or dies. To be fair, lots of people are strapped for cash these days, And it's a thought to put down 14 or 15 quid to watch the kind of stuff served up last season.

Appointing Colin Nish made complete sense economically, since he was still on contract - thanks, Jimmy! - and we wanted to go down the player-manager route (which worked with Colin Cameron). In the event, Colin didn't play and, bluntly, couldn't manage; this meant that appointing a manager for largely economic reasons ended up hurting us economically, as well us edging us closer to the trap door. There's a good case for the view that both JN and CN should have been punted when the writing was on the wall, but that involves compensation payments and there's no guarantee that the new managerwho comes in will do the business. Anyway, it didn't happen.

The difference for the new season is that this really is make or break time. We can all dream about who we'd like to see in the hot seat; the reality is that the club, like the town, is strapped for cash, and if we are to live within our means, what we can offer financially is very limited.

We do need to get someone in soon, so that we start the new season on the front foot. And that 'someone' will have to sign bargain basement players if we are not to go down the financial tubes. And the fans, as ever, will have to contribute through season tickets, Roof Fall and fundraising events.

The decision not to re-appoint CN was the right one for the club. If he had been kept on it would have demoralised the support, and would have had an effect in terms of season ticket sales, fundraising etc. All of us need a lift after last season. On the brighter side, Cowdenbeath has a good track record in giving younger managers a platform on which to build a career. Is there a Mixu out there who wants to make a start in management and is prepared to work hard for not a lot of money?

Challenging times ahead for the club.

However with the small base of fans we do have if we all step up next season as best as we can then hopefully we will get the rewards.

Hopefully this good news will become public knowledge soon Ron.

Have to say delighted for Edinburgh City and will make a good away day but you have to feel for East Stirlingshire as if that was us it could well be the end.

Right now it would be good if Danny Lennon was willing to do it all again but wouldn't blame him if he doesn't as it would be a backwards step in his career

Sums it up perfectly K. Hope Nish disnae read it tho. I don't know if he knows he's not a manager yet. It'll be a bolt from the blue for him.

Teading the recent interviews he thinks he's Ranieri. Deluded c**t.

There are lots of potential candidates and some will do an amazing job and some will bomb totally. It is a lottery and the board can only go with what they think is the best option whilst taking into consideration our limits.

We can't afford to spend silly money and I don't believe any lower league club should feel the need, as there are way more potential managers out there than there are positions available.

We could go down the player manager route again, but it would be good if it was someone that actually played.

Archived