The Partick Thistle thread

2 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/club-update-8th-june-2023/

Smilie gone, £170k committed by the Foundation and a number of fans have got in touch with the club to invest.

Amazing what telling people you need money can do rather than Low claiming to the Foundation they didn't need fans to fundraise.

Nice to get some positive news, after our horrible days since Sunday.

On 07/06/2023 at 14:48, GroundHoppingBear said:

When will you be thanking Rangers for keeping you afloat?

If you take a wee look at our most recent statement you’ll be able to see some good news about a fanbase that don’t let their club die, cheers!

Turner's exceptional for this level but I'm straw clutching that his frame (hopefully) puts off a few top flight Gordon Strachanesque managers that just fantasise about having 6'6 genetic monster freaks stomping about in their midfield, showing pashun and making bone crunching challenges from which they can make their customary post match ogre stew.

edit: just saw that season tickets are out, £330 doesn't seem outrageous for a non-renewal adult, generally been PATG the past few seasons through working weekends/general apathy. probably grab one at the end of the month once i gets paids

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Smith will no doubt go somewhere else in the division (or Cove if they're FT now given he's from Aberdeen) and find his form again but having a 2 year spell with us and still leaving with more career goals against us than for us is pretty grim, as is scoring the same amount of goals in that 2 years as Jamie Sneddon.

You'd guess Mullen would have been on a decent wage given his CV and age and with Graham and Dowds under contract it makes sense to let him move on.

Brownlie wasn't the same after his ACL injury, could see him dropping to L1 and being very decent though. Was our best player in the L1 covid season.

Maybe Muirhead has an option for an extension rather than it being automatic but I'd still think he'd be here next season. Said earlier Lyon might get a new deal and I guess McCready would logical if we were using  @Pie Of The Month 's strategy for goalkeepers , but makes less sense unless it's a hilariously lowball offer to Sneddon. 

I was thinking Cam was nailed on to come to us if we stayed up. We'll likely offer him a competitive full time contract and he'd get regular starts but whether he signs or holds out for a Championship gig I'm not sure. Not guaranteed to be a regular for most in tier 2 I'd imagine.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I was thinking Cam was nailed on to come to us if we stayed up. We'll likely offer him a competitive full time contract and he'd get regular starts but whether he signs or holds out for a Championship gig I'm not sure. Not guaranteed to be a regular for most in tier 2 I'd imagine.

No idea how he will do. I can barely remember him kicking a ball with us. A genuine empty-shirt for Thistle, but has played well at other clubs. 

43 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Rumour going about that we are in for Turner. What's he like? Don't actually know much about him.

Wouldn’t surprise me, he had at least 1 Premiership offer before he signed for us apparently. 

Reasonably good delivery from set pieces, eye for goal too. Has always did his best work in the No.10 position but was able to adapt during the play offs into a more defensive role in a midfield 2, covering for the injured Bannigan. Would say he has a slight tendency for the game to pass him by if we’re not on the front foot (not really a consistent issue in the Championship but perhaps would be more obvious in the Premiership). Like Tiffoney wouldn’t begrudge him the move, probably feels he deserves a crack at the Premiership - and again, at least we wouldn’t need to face him next season. 

13 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Lyon, Owens, Ocholi and McCready are the modern apprentices out of contract, I suspect they'll all be away, maybe Lyon at a push might get another year given the finances but the other 3 have all had the mark of doom of being loaned to the lowland league.

Stanway, MacKenzie and Stevenson are under contract for another year, Stanway didn't have a huge impact at Airdrie but at least it was a loan to league one. MacKenzie obviously had by far the most amount of game time for the first team and would expect him to be getting on the pitch most weeks next season whether as starter or sub

Standard ok for Airdrie, never a regular starter although you can tell he is well coached,  his main problems seems to be finding his best position, not to sure what it is and probably more importantly is very one paced lacks a good yard as they say....   I would doubt he would be a starter for thisle,  maybe another loan spell would do him good..

11 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Rumour going about that we are in for Turner. What's he like? Don't actually know much about him.

I think he's had a good season and been excellent in the play offs, contributed to a lot of goals, think he has one of the highest assist tally's for us in a single season in a very long time. He was a bit meh under McCall at times, think Doolan got a lot more out of him. Don't grudge him the move either, would hope he'd stay but we're in no position to offer much. Would link up well with Tiffoney I'd imagine. 

Turner deserves a chance in the Premiership, so fair play to him if he gets one. I do think his weaknesses are much more likely to be shown up playing for a side who aren’t dominating games most weeks, but equally I was surprised at how adept he looked in the deeper midfield role during the playoffs.

According to the Thistle archive, he’s got 9 goals and 24 assists in his 2 seasons here. That’ll be an absolutely huge hole to fill if (when) he goes. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Turner deserves a chance in the Premiership, so fair play to him if he gets one. I do think his weaknesses are much more likely to be shown up playing for a side who aren’t dominating games most weeks, but equally I was surprised at how adept he looked in the deeper midfield role during the playoffs.

According to the Thistle archive, he’s got 9 goals and 24 assists in his 2 seasons here. That’ll be an absolutely huge hole to fill if (when) he goes. 

Agree with all of this. Also feels like he was involved in a lot of moves leading to goals too, aside from him finishing or assisting. Especially when moved into #10 and even central midfield.

1 minute ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Apologies if its been covered but am I right in saying we know who we'll be home and away to in the league cup, just not sure on dates? Will Spartans be an away game? 

I think Spartans and Falkirk will be at Firhill while Peterhead and Dundee United will be away