The Partick Thistle thread

This might go against others opinions, but if our financials are that fucked maybe its best we didnt go up.

I dont want the club being tempted to gamble the future of our club on staying in the Premiership. 

Take our medicine and however long it takes to sort out the long term sustainability of the club.

Hope everyone can have a sense of perspective with ambitions and results next season and gives the squad and Dools the full support they deserve.

And f**k Jacqui Low, Gerry Britton and that c**t Alan Rough. Charlatans the lot of them.

3 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

This might go against others opinions, but if our financials are that fucked maybe its best we didnt go up.

I dont want the club being tempted to gamble the future of our club on staying in the Premiership. 

Take our medicine and however long it takes to sort out the long term sustainability of the club.

Hope everyone can have a sense of perspective with ambitions and results next season and gives the squad and Dools the full support they deserve.

And f**k Jacqui Low, Gerry Britton and that c**t Alan Rough. Charlatans the lot of them.

Regards Doolan. Agree we need to him full backing. He done a fantastic job with McCall's squad. Next season, IMO, it will be very tough. If we can settle down for a few years and then rebuild, that's fine by me.

Jacqui Low et al? Scumbags. Britton should be chased right down the Maryhill Road.

4 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Nah, better if we’d gone up, revealed finances, and used one season in Premier to plug the gap. 

as it is, at least we have the Foundation already set up as an effective fundraising vehicle. 

6 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

On the other hand, one financially-troubled season in the Premiership where we finish bottom and come straight back down is probably more appealing than a potential relegation battle in the championship, where come out the wrong end of it and we’re in serious bother. If we had won on Sunday, the club’s pre-season aspiration of promotion (which we apparently budgeted for) would’ve been attained, even if it was a tough ride in the Premiership, the financial benefit it brings (even in terms of sponsorship etc.) can’t be understated. 

55 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

On the other hand, one financially-troubled season in the Premiership where we finish bottom and come straight back down is probably more appealing than a potential relegation battle in the championship, where come out the wrong end of it and we’re in serious bother. If we had won on Sunday, the club’s pre-season aspiration of promotion (which we apparently budgeted for) would’ve been attained, even if it was a tough ride in the Premiership, the financial benefit it brings (even in terms of sponsorship etc.) can’t be understated. 

I can see the argument on both sides.

One thing that makes me wary, based on little other than previous history with this club, is that when we get relegated from the top flight, we don't tend to be one of those teams who bounce back immediately. In my lifetime, the three times we've been relegated from the top flight, we have then been relegated again to the seaside league within two seasons. Every time.

I'm not saying I didn't want to get promoted. Promotion even if followed by relegation would have gone a long way to fixing the financial issues. But going up and coming straight back down could have kicked off another spiraling malaise which we seem so fond of as a club.

This time last week I was looking forward to the play off final and thinking we could really do this, but if we don't we're in a good place and next season in the Championship we're in with a great shout. Two severe kicks in the plums later.

55 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I can see the argument on both sides.

One thing that makes me wary, based on little other than previous history with this club, is that when we get relegated from the top flight, we don't tend to be one of those teams who bounce back immediately. In my lifetime, the three times we've been relegated from the top flight, we have then been relegated again to the seaside league within two seasons. Every time.

I'm not saying I didn't want to get promoted. Promotion even if followed by relegation would have gone a long way to fixing the financial issues. But going up and coming straight back down could have kicked off another spiraling malaise which we seem so fond of as a club.

agreed promotion would have been the better long term outcome as I think we'd have been run well financially even if it meant having a squad that wasn't strong enough to survive. As @JagsCG said it would have given us a safety net to get back on our feet financially where the worst outcome was 12th in the top flight and starting again in the Championship in 24/25, the worst outcome this season is significantly scarier. The downside of going up is that football fans are fickle and for all that everyone would have been "Give Doolan the next 2 seasons, not his fault", if we were bottom of the league on 8 points at Christmas (which again could happen in the Championship) the reality would be different.

If we had gone up and decided to roll the dice, then I agree it's not worth the long term risk but I don't think we'd have done that under the new setup.

I did worry had we gone up that Doolan would go from looking like a very impressive young manager that could really build something with us, to a useless no-hoper with calls for him to go from the fickle elements of our support.  Another year in the Championship could have given him a chance to get a couple of transfer windows under his belt, build his team rather than just adapting McCall's, and really settle into the role.

That was before we learned how fucked the finances were.  I'd have obviously taken promotion and immediate relegation to pocket the money in that case.

One “exciting” thing about next season is that I imagine we’ll see more of the young players get a shot. And by now some of them should be ready - if not then not sure what the point in the academy is?

So as of now (based on potential low-cost re-signings and subject to any new signings / any bids for contracted players) we could line up:

Mitchell

McMillan, Muirhead, someone, Milne

Bannigan, MacKenzie, Lawless

Stanway, Fitzpatrick

Graham

Clearly no depth, no idea how Stanway would do etc. But not exactly an awful Championship starting XI.

Lyon, Owens, Ocholi and McCready are the modern apprentices out of contract, I suspect they'll all be away, maybe Lyon at a push might get another year given the finances but the other 3 have all had the mark of doom of being loaned to the lowland league.

Stanway, MacKenzie and Stevenson are under contract for another year, Stanway didn't have a huge impact at Airdrie but at least it was a loan to league one. MacKenzie obviously had by far the most amount of game time for the first team and would expect him to be getting on the pitch most weeks next season whether as starter or sub

Edited by Fuctifano

3 hours ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

One “exciting” thing about next season is that I imagine we’ll see more of the young players get a shot. And by now some of them should be ready - if not then not sure what the point in the academy is?

So as of now (based on potential low-cost re-signings and subject to any new signings / any bids for contracted players) we could line up:

Mitchell

McMillan, Muirhead, someone, Milne

Bannigan, MacKenzie, Lawless

Stanway, Fitzpatrick

Graham

Clearly no depth, no idea how Stanway would do etc. But not exactly an awful Championship starting XI.

That’s my thinking.  I don’t think this league is particularly tough, as it goes, though the distance from contention to relegation can be alarmingly short.  In other words, with a tactically astute manager and reasonably competent squad, a lot can be achieved.  A lot of the failings of teams in the league can be put down to managers without the quality to get the best out of the players.  Look at McCall/Doolan.  Not saying Doolan is the next Fergie, but at least in this case you could see a clear and obvious step up.  Bring a top level manager into the championship, and you’d see how quickly a mediocre group of players would be playing like world beaters.  

So this season is about a) keeping a competent squad together and augmenting it with some good loans, and b) hoping that Doolan is the difference-maker he seemed to be.

Edited by Braesoyetts
Typo