The Partick Thistle thread

5 hours ago, btb said:

I thought that lottery winner had set you right - obviously not.

Cleared some debt which was obviously good, and set up an academy, which has been of debatable net benefit. Never bought us any Uncle Roy-style ringers or mercenaries, however. So I'm not sure what actual contribution he ever made to the 1st team playing squad.

2 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Remember the so-called Thistle fans who sneered at the protest and lined up to support Low unconditionally? 

I wont forget.

Ach doesn't help the club in the end, we have allot of sycophants who backed Masterton at the start of our financial worries, in the end for the club to move forward and recover we needed everyone pulling in the same direction. 

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Not much to add, scary that we can go from a relatively comfortable financial position to almost fucked in such a short space of time but that's what happens when you get folk in who don't understand cashflow. Guess we owe the Dunfermline boy who missed a sitter at the end of the cup game a few quid as thanks. 

What was the latest with the merger of the various fan groups, assuming everyone is still on same page now? 

I read that statement and completely forgot it was us you put out on penalties. 

You're welcome. 

52 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Cleared some debt which was obviously good, and set up an academy, which has been of debatable net benefit. Never bought us any Uncle Roy-style ringers or mercenaries, however. So I'm not sure what actual contribution he ever made to the 1st team playing squad.

Colin Weir always said he wasn't getting involved in the direct running/financing of the club. His contribution was always going to be towards community involvement. It was J. Low who seemed to want the kudos of running a football club.

Hope Partick pull through not nice to see a club on the brink. Profitability by 2025 seems like a remarkable challenge for any club let alone one being handed over by a previous regime in such poor order. 

Seems like you have good people in charge now which will make all the difference.

As with other teams that have made claims of financial distress, I'm sympathetic up until the point they start outbidding other teams in the division for players. After that it will be clear that a choice has been made.

2 minutes ago, jagfox said:

They resigned/ walked away, when they were found out. 

A couple of them hiding in plain sight laughably writing articles for Nutmeg about Scottish football governance or tweeting about this season being a missed opportunity without a hint of a brass neck.

22 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Maybes see you in League Two in a couple of seasons. 

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

When we're in League Two a few years from now, Clyde will have long since disappeared from the SPFL.

Where did all the money go under the previous regime?  I haven’t had the impression in recent years that Partick were spending crazy money on their first team and the stadium upgrades were done years ago.

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

Where did all the money go under the previous regime?  I haven’t had the impression in recent years that Partick were spending crazy money on their first team and the stadium upgrades were done years ago.

Quite a few of us on here questioned some of the signings and contract extensions at the time over the past couple of years.

To me it seems fairly certain we were in the top two in terms of budget in the league this season. This came off the back of a year paying Championship wages while the club played in League One in front of no fans, and the club also missing out on the £500k grant during COVID that the other Championship teams got (which, if you remember Thistle weren’t shy in reminding everyone about).

Jacqui Low wanted to win over the fans and gambled with money she didn’t have on promotion. It almost worked out, although ironically only after her and the manager she allowed to spend the cash were removed.

13 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

That’s what I mean. Are there not penalties for financial mismanagement by Directors?

There are, but I doubt there are any in this case, unless it can be proved someone had their hand in the till...

20 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Like most other clubs, we were incurring losses due to Covid and cost of living, but we were also dealing with that shortly after relegation from the top flight and suffering Gary Caldwell as manager, who signed countless duds unfit for professional football and needing replaced. 

In that context, we nonetheless began last season by signing:

David Mitchell

Harry Milne 

Jack McMillan 

Aaron Muirhead

Steven Lawless

Aidan Fitzpatrick

Danny Mullen

Anton Dowds

We also signed Cole McKinnon and Liam Hodson on loan, as well as retaining Docherty, Graham, Brownlie, Turner and Smith who were already signed - presumably - with the intention of being regular first-team players. 

That's significantly more transfer activity than any other team in the division last season, involving players who - on the most part - would have been coveted by other sides. It ought to have been clear to anyone involved that any outcome that didn't involve promotion would set us up for disaster, and here we are. 

Next season will be a brutal watch and I'd take 8th place right now on the condition that the next year is used to tidy up the books. We should still have a competitive enough squad with the contracted players, but if any offers came in for McMillan, Milne or Fitzpatrick then it would be hard to justify knocking back given the context.