The Partick Thistle thread

We were extremely poor in the first half yesterday, Keown looked as if he had never played football before in his life Young Andy McCarthy looked out of his depth. Morton's first goal came from a punt up the park from their keeper, we were completely disorganised. 

We were a bit better in the second half and the goal was excellent, their second goal came from a misplaced cross that landed at the edge of their 18 yd box, we had opportunities to close down/pull down their guy on the way through.

Most of the guys that we had on the pitch are capable of much better, how many times over the years have we watched opposition teams of much less ability grind out results? Just now we do not have a clue how to even hold out for a draw.

I am fed up with the hard luck stories, we could have had a penalty, the offside goal would have stood if Doolan did not touch it and so on.

We are not organised and only a few of the team seem capable of putting in a full ninety minutes. Only the manager can change that, so far he seems incapable of doing this

Our only target now is survival, I do not care who we bring in. We have to accept that unless things change radically over the next few weeks that a second relegation is the likely result.

Over the years I have watched many poor players at Firhill, but rarely have I watched such a regular disorganised shambles.

2 hours ago, Sting777 said:

You are completely missing my point. At no stage have I said anything against Archie getting his contract paid up or that its a bad thing. All I am saying is that we cannot afford to have 3 managers and assistants on the books at the club, all getting their full wages, therefore,to me anyway, that makes  Caldwell and Kerr unsackable until Archie and Shaggy are off the wage bill.

Or unless we were wise enough to offer an unemployed manager a contract with low value termination terms. To be clear GC was looking for a way back into football, we held the aces so should have been wise enough not to sign up to a contract that left us liable for a two year wage bill if we needed to terminate. Do we honestly think that GC would have rejected us if we’d said 3 months wages is the maximum comp if either party is ending the contract? I’m not sure though that our board are that clever. 

18 hours ago, third lanark said:

Keown was on loan half a season and was made to look good by Liam Lindsay once Liam was away keown was garbage 

most of the signings Archie’s scouts unearthed in England were awful 

One of the biggest loads of shite I've seen on here. When Keown came he was commanding, literally went about 8 games and didn't lose a single header from a long ball into the defence. The last 18 months he couldn't give a f**k. 

So, unless you are telling me Lindsay used to give him a punty. I think you're talking shite. 

I'm at a loss to understand the suggestion that the clubs can't afford to punt 2 managers in 1 season because we've got 2500 fans coming through the gates.

We will pay our managers a rate commensurate with the size of club, we're no more or less likely to sack a 2nd manager in a season than a club that has 20,000 crowds or 200 crowds. If anything we've got the added bonus of being able to beg the Weirs to help out  if needs must, most clubs couldn't do that.

14 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

For Gary Caldwell read Owen Coyle. Does anyone really doubt he’s going to get the January window to overspend before mutually termination In February allowing Doolan (or whomever) to take over?

It's very unlikely that our hoodwinked Chairman will act now. February will be too late. Quite how damaging the Board's decisions over the last two years have been, only time will tell. Best, now, to prepare for League One and hope for recovery from there. It's a desperately sad situation.

It's very unlikely that our hoodwinked Chairman will act now. February will be too late. Quite how damaging the Board's decisions over the last two years have been, only time will tell. Best, now, to prepare for League One and hope for recovery from there. It's a desperately sad situation.

You’re right. No need for it. You can cut cloth and still challenge for the league. Relegation can be a good thing, but double relegation is doubtless horrid.

4 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

Or unless we were wise enough to offer an unemployed manager a contract with low value termination terms. To be clear GC was looking for a way back into football, we held the aces so should have been wise enough not to sign up to a contract that left us liable for a two year wage bill if we needed to terminate. Do we honestly think that GC would have rejected us if we’d said 3 months wages is the maximum comp if either party is ending the contract? I’m not sure though that our board are that clever. 

Totally agree!

1 hour ago, Firhill_Basin said:

82% of Thistle fans on a twitter poll would keep Christie Elliott. Sums up the pathetic expectations of our fanbase. Hes a legend though eh?

He's been playing full back for us now for a good few years and it's quite clear he still hasn't bothered to grasp the basics of the position - yesterday's sauntering about keeping the man onside for the second goal being the latest example of his ineptitude costing us a rate of about a goal a week. He also surrendered the captaincy (which albeit he should never have been given) out of pure shitebaggery. 

His attitude has been absolutely appalling and he should be the first out the door next week. 

12 hours ago, cilitbang said:

Where would we be if we hadn't flucked having a supporter that won the Euromillions?

Not top concern right now, but there has been ZERO mention of the training ground (unless on Jagzone?) So my initial thoughts are is this money related because I thought we picked the spot etc etc but has work actually started?

I don't expect Caldwell to get sacked just now, I am hoping we stay in the division and McCall becomes available.

A mate of mine is currently doing a contamination assessment for the land we have earmarked for the training ground. He says the place is a heavily contaminated swamp land, so this may explain the delay.

Others far more in the know than me might have more info though.

82% of Thistle fans on a twitter poll would keep Christie Elliott. Sums up the pathetic expectations of our fanbase. Hes a legend though eh?

I’d keep him but that’s only because Caldwell would sign Mark Wilson as his replacement.

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

A mate of mine is currently doing a contamination assessment for the land we have earmarked for the training ground. He says the place is a heavily contaminated swamp land, so this may explain the delay.

Chernobyl levels of radiation hopefully.

5 hours ago, AMMjag said:

He's been playing full back for us now for a good few years and it's quite clear he still hasn't bothered to grasp the basics of the position - yesterday's sauntering about keeping the man onside for the second goal being the latest example of his ineptitude costing us a rate of about a goal a week. He also surrendered the captaincy (which albeit he should never have been given) out of pure shitebaggery. 

His attitude has been absolutely appalling and he should be the first out the door next week. 

Penrice plays the man onside for the second goal. 

20181230_220424.jpg

Edited by dave.j

1 hour ago, dave.j said:

Penrice plays the man onside for the second goal. 

20181230_220424.jpg

Penrice is marginal but Elliot is clearly playing Telfer onside - I noticed McCarthy having an exchange with him after the goal.  However this picture does show how disorganised the side is - there are 8 Thistle players back in their own half but the 2 Morton players were able to cut clean through.  Scobbie has moved over from right centre back to the left back position leaving a gap  and McGinty is spectating.  I don't think either of them are good players but the changes in personnel and formation in central defence don't help.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

They're both playing him onside. Penrice slightly deeper.

Absolute shambles either way.

He actually runs into an offside position and has to check his run and go horizontal for a coupla yards before continuing it forward. It's quite smart running but how the defence managed to miss the opportunity to step up is incredulous. Caldwell might be a shite gaffer but that's basic as f**k stuff he should expect his defence to know

I can’t comment on the contaminated land however GB did provide an update for the training ground on the 4th December.
The training ground needs planning permission from the local authority. It’s a staged process so an indeterminate timeframe was given.

A question was asked at the Q&A about the project continuing should we go down again this season (one of the Facebook bangers uploaded this on soundcloud) and GB assured it would proceed due to the business set up with Three Black Cats (we would lease the facility).

On a different note - having watched the post match interview with Squiddy - I think he’s going to move in the transfer window.