The Partick Thistle thread

I have rarely seen such widespread derision of a manager in such a short period of time; even folk that I sit with at Firhill who I consider more patient than me have had enough of Caldwell.

He has improved tangibly nothing since he arrived. As Dave J said earlier, he has attempted at every turn to pass the buck onto the previous regime who whilst absolutely culpable for the utter garbage in the squad, cannot be blamed for Caldwell's failings as a manager. He takes no responsibility for his own players and has publicly hung them out to dry more than once.

I remember reading a blog that Caldwell penned before he was appointed. There was always mitigation for his failures - he didn't deserve the sack at Wigan despite being bottom of the league; two players were sold and the Director of Football left at Chesterfield. This is a guy who is so far above his station that he went on to Sportsound and seriously tried to suggest he was a candidate for the National job. 

As nice and deserved as it would be to bag Caldwell though, it ain't going to happen. The squad needs major surgery and it would be suicidal to go into January without a manager to oversee those changes. Surely to God we can do no worse than Archibald's transfer tombola that gave us Ntambwe, Mutombo and Storer...surely?

There is absolutely no invention in the team, no spark or creativity. To his credit, Harkins is a player who should help address that, if there are any miles left in his legs. Doolan hasn't been at the races this season but has been utterly starved of any kind of service; only fucking mouthbreathers like Third Lanark would suggest we'd be better off without one of the best goalscorers in our history. 

4 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

I have rarely seen such widespread derision of a manager in such a short period of time; even folk that I sit with at Firhill who I consider more patient than me have had enough of Caldwell.

He has improved tangibly nothing since he arrived. As Dave J said earlier, he has attempted at every turn to pass the buck onto the previous regime who whilst absolutely culpable for the utter garbage in the squad, cannot be blamed for Caldwell's failings as a manager. He takes no responsibility for his own players and has publicly hung them out to dry more than once.

I remember reading a blog that Caldwell penned before he was appointed. There was always mitigation for his failures - he didn't deserve the sack at Wigan despite being bottom of the league; two players were sold and the Director of Football left at Chesterfield. This is a guy who is so far above his station that he went on to Sportsound and seriously tried to suggest he was a candidate for the National job. 

As nice and deserved as it would be to bag Caldwell though, it ain't going to happen. The squad needs major surgery and it would be suicidal to go into January without a manager to oversee those changes. Surely to God we can do no worse than Archibald's transfer tombola that gave us Ntambwe, Mutombo and Storer...surely?

There is absolutely no invention in the team, no spark or creativity. To his credit, Harkins is a player who should help address that, if there are any miles left in his legs. Doolan hasn't been at the races this season but has been utterly starved of any kind of service; only fucking mouthbreathers like Third Lanark would suggest we'd be better off without one of the best goalscorers in our history. 

The absolute perfect summation of where we are at on every single count (in particular the ludicrous suggestion - from this forum’s most tedious poster - that we get rid of Doolan). 

Keown was on loan half a season and was made to look good by Liam Lindsay once Liam was away keown was garbage 
most of the signings Archie’s scouts unearthed in England were awful 

Has losing lindsay been a big factor in the clubs performances on the pitch?

2 hours ago, dave.j said:

Why is Archie still getting paid looked upon as a bad thing? Surely it's a good thing as instead of taking his pay off in one fat payment like most managers, and potential effecting our January transfer window, he's doing us a favour and taking it in instalments.

What are you talking about? If you read my post the point being made is that our club, with 2500 supporters on average, is hardly in the position to sack Caldwell and Kerr leaving us in a position of paying full wages to 3 managers and 3 assistants...that is unless our lottery winning patron steps in to clear up the mess his advisor/chairman has put the club in.

Ian Maxwell, David Beattie, Jacqui Low, Gerry Britton and Alan Archibald are all equally culpable for the state we’re in. Whilst it is becoming increasingly difficult to make a case for Caldwell, he is the least of our worries.

f**k Maxwell, f**k Beattie, f**k Low, f**k Britton and f**k you Alan Archibald.

Just now, Hammer Jag said:

Ian Maxwell, David Beattie, Jacqui Low, Gerry Britton and Alan Archibald are all equally culpable for the state we’re in. Whilst it is becoming increasingly difficult to make a case for Caldwell, he is the least of our worries.

I would agree with most of this, but would be adding Caldwell as well. He’s inherited a mess, but ultimately he’s made said mess even worse than it was to begin with, and talks it up as if he’s turned things around. He’s an utter charlatan.

The biggest mistake the club made was not emptying Archibald the second we were relegated. If we do that, we most likely have Neilson in the dugout to start the season and aren’t in this disaster of a situation. A complete failure from this board of incompetent fuckwits.

If we bulleted Archibald after the 5-1 defeat to Killie last December, I’m fairly confident we would have survived.

Sadly, our board proved to be utterly spineless and our pathetic, supine support made things ever easier for them by failing to exert any sort of anger towards our failing manager.

From top six to the laughing stock of Scottish football in eighteen months. It doesn’t get anymore Thistle than that.

1 hour ago, Sting777 said:

What are you talking about? If you read my post the point being made is that our club, with 2500 supporters on average, is hardly in the position to sack Caldwell and Kerr leaving us in a position of paying full wages to 3 managers and 3 assistants...that is unless our lottery winning patron steps in to clear up the mess his advisor/chairman has put the club in.

If we had paid Archie up in full. Would we be in a position to sack caldwell?

Or do you just think a team with 2500 fans can't afford to sack 2 managers in the one season?

37 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Caldwell os the least of our worries? Hes the biggest fuckin concern I have right now.

If we bulleted Archibald after the 5-1 defeat to Killie last December, I’m fairly confident we would have survived.

This is when Archie should have gone, but I’m pretty confident we would also still have survived had he been sacked after the 4-0 loss away to County pre-split (the final straw for a manager of any club bar ourselves).

Chairman Low does not have a clue how to run a football club. Gerry Britton is never a chief executive in his life. The club is full of absolute imposters from top to bottom.

David Beattie, for all his failings, brought success to the club and was (unless I’m mistaken) key in helping us get debt-free. He escapes with a sliver of respect from me.

15 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Really? So say we sack him tomorrow, are you confident that the board would find a competent successor? 

I would be, although this is more by default than them actually achieving a competent result by themselves. They’d stumble into some sort of Jim Duffy clown who would probably fare better than Caldwell simply by virtue of knowing the league and giving a few a kick up the arse.

Dire straits when Jim Duffy would be an upgrade, but that’s where we are right now.

13 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

David Beattie, for all his failings, brought success to the club and was (unless I’m mistaken) key in helping us get debt-free. He escapes with a sliver of respect from me.

He knew the writing was on the wall and jumped ship as soon as he could. He presided over a successful spell, but to me Beattie seems like your standard snake in the grass who took plaudits for success achieved by Archie (and to a lesser extent McNamara) and bolted as soon as the going got tough.

Us going debt free happened because Colin Weir won the lottery. I don’t give Beattie any credit for that.

6 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

He knew the writing was on the wall and jumped ship as soon as he could. He presided over a successful spell, but to me Beattie seems like your standard snake in the grass who took plaudits for success achieved by Archie (and to a lesser extent McNamara) and bolted as soon as the going got tough.

Us going debt free happened because Colin Weir won the lottery. I don’t give Beattie any credit for that.

Spot on. 

Where would we be if we hadn't flucked having a supporter that won the Euromillions?

Not top concern right now, but there has been ZERO mention of the training ground (unless on Jagzone?) So my initial thoughts are is this money related because I thought we picked the spot etc etc but has work actually started?

I don't expect Caldwell to get sacked just now, I am hoping we stay in the division and McCall becomes available.

Or do you just think a team with 2500 fans can't afford to sack 2 managers in the one season?

Fair point. Do you think a club with just 2500 fans can afford to pay two managers in one season whose records now suggest they’d do serious damage running a ménage?

8 hours ago, dave.j said:

You are completely missing my point. At no stage have I said anything against Archie getting his contract paid up or that its a bad thing. All I am saying is that we cannot afford to have 3 managers and assistants on the books at the club, all getting their full wages, therefore,to me anyway, that makes  Caldwell and Kerr unsackable until Archie and Shaggy are off the wage bill.

Edited by Sting777