Jump to content

Partick Thistle 2022/23 thread


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

If the signing is just the first of the 4 or 5 that we desperately need then Harkins has the potential to be a decent signing. If he is the only signing we make, and I would be astonished if he were, then that would represent an awful transfer window. As much as we need a creative spark an ageing Gary Harkins on his own isn't going to drag our season out of the gutter. 

I'd be interested to learn the reasons behind his departure from Queens and equally keen to hear how his arrival impacts on potential departures from Firhill in January. Harkins for Erskine, for example, isn't much of an upgrade IMO. 

Who follows Harkins in might determine how good a signing he proves to be. 

Binned for being a fat lazy b*****d.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

If the signing is just the first of the 4 or 5 that we desperately need then Harkins has the potential to be a decent signing. If he is the only signing we make, and I would be astonished if he were, then that would represent an awful transfer window. As much as we need a creative spark an ageing Gary Harkins on his own isn't going to drag our season out of the gutter. 

I'd be interested to learn the reasons behind his departure from Queens and equally keen to hear how his arrival impacts on potential departures from Firhill in January. Harkins for Erskine, for example, isn't much of an upgrade IMO. 

Who follows Harkins in might determine how good a signing he proves to be. 

There's no doubt that Harkins is a good footballer with an excellent touch and on a "going day" he's got the quality that's way above this level, however the downside is that his "going days" are very few and far between nowadays, he does little to no work for the team and he's also a bit of a disruptive presence. For your sake I hope I'm wrong, however he's the last guy you want when you're down near the bottom and fighting as he basically just downs tools if he doesn't fancy it and from our own experience we ended up playing with 10 men in the last few months of the season when we went down to League 1 (actually 9 if you include a finished El Alagui)................

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

It's just a pity for us that you didn't go in for him.

If you're expecting better than GGH and Darren O'Dea type players when you're battling out at the bottom of the championship then you're deluded. Both would be cracking signings for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're expecting better than GGH and Darren O'Dea type players when you're battling out at the bottom of the championship then you're deluded. Both would be cracking signings for you.

Harkins is a changed player from the one you would’ve seen at Dens.

He’ll be pretty useless in a relegation fight.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

If the signing is just the first of the 4 or 5 that we desperately need then Harkins has the potential to be a decent signing. If he is the only signing we make, and I would be astonished if he were, then that would represent an awful transfer window. As much as we need a creative spark an ageing Gary Harkins on his own isn't going to drag our season out of the gutter. 

I'd be interested to learn the reasons behind his departure from Queens and equally keen to hear how his arrival impacts on potential departures from Firhill in January. Harkins for Erskine, for example, isn't much of an upgrade IMO. 

Who follows Harkins in might determine how good a signing he proves to be. 

A full time contract that takes him up till he is 35 or a contract with Queens that takes him up till he is 34 might have something to do with it.

I'd guess a few teams in our division wouldve been interested in Harkins, doubt many wouldve gave him 18 month, which Id think has been the deal breaker

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MrDust said:

A full time contract that takes him up till he is 35 or a contract with Queens that takes him up till he is 34 might have something to do with it.

I'd guess a few teams in our division wouldve been interested in Harkins, doubt many wouldve gave him 18 month, which Id think has been the deal breaker

That doesn't really make much sense though as he was a contracted player with Queen of the South until they agreed to cancel his contract. It's irrelevant whether Harkins fancied a longer contract or not. Harkins may have wanted to leave but ultimately It was Queen of the South's call to terminate his contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

That doesn't really make much sense though as he was a contracted player with Queen of the South until they agreed to cancel his contract. It's irrelevant whether Harkins fancied a longer contract or not. Harkins may have wanted to leave but ultimately It was Queen of the South's call to terminate his contract. 

Like Kerr and Baird were when we signed them from QoS in a January window, the offer of longer contracts and more £s and player(s) can try and force the issue. The QoS official statement points to contract and £s from Partick is the better option and of course if he is living central belt less travel for match days

http://qosfc.com/news-4261

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not great and certainly nothing to get excited over but if he contributes in a meaningful way to any points at all this season he’ll be an improvement on Storer.

 

That said, if “better than Jack Storer” is the benchmark we’re using for all our signings, we’re totally fucked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

That doesn't really make much sense though as he was a contracted player with Queen of the South until they agreed to cancel his contract. It's irrelevant whether Harkins fancied a longer contract or not. Harkins may have wanted to leave but ultimately It was Queen of the South's call to terminate his contract. 

I imagine he was a high earner there, so punting a high earner who's made it clear he doesn't want to play for you is surely better than paying a huge wage for someone who won't be putting any effort in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given Erskine has been warming the bench for most of Caldwell's tenure it's a bit of a bewildering signing, besides being utterly demoralising. Wouldn't be surprised to see Erskine go next month, likely to a division rival. 

I can put up with the odd jobber signing for a relegation scrap, but 18 month contracts? 2019/20 season tickets flying off the shelves! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Like Kerr and Baird were when we signed them from QoS in a January window, the offer of longer contracts and more £s and player(s) can try and force the issue. The QoS official statement points to contract and £s from Partick is the better option and of course if he is living central belt less travel for match days

http://qosfc.com/news-4261

It might be like Kerr, but it is not like Baird. He still had 18 months of his contract to run, so I am curious how he was able to hear of the longer contract and more £s that Falkirk were offering before he was released. How did the process work allowing him to “force the issue”?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...