The Partick Thistle thread

What’s happening with the supporters buses for tomorrow? I emailed them and they replied stating they would get back in touch with pick up points and times, however I haven’t heard back from them!

12 hours ago, Firhill_Basin said:

If we had a DVD of our five years in the SPL, you'd have the Hearts match and not much else. No wins over the Old firm, no Metz, no Hampden or anything from the cups. Steve Clarke has given Killie fans more memories in months than Archie given us in the last five years. If these are glory years, God help us. We haven't done anything Hamilton hasn't achieved over the piece. We've had Archie in/out debates every season because it's largely been a slog under him with a few wee good bursts here and there. The football has been consistently dreadful now for over a year and Archie will leave little legacy in terms a squad for the next manager. His legacy might be to leave us in a worst place than he found us in. 

What a lot of shite.

Guy's cant we not just get behind the team, remember we support Partick Thistle as a club on the whole. Managers, players, directors and the rest of the staff all come and go through the years but we as fans support the red/yellow tops through thick and thin. As it stands at the moment if we get relegated we are only going to aspire to be in the SPFL again. I think Archie will walk away irrespective where we end up but on the plus side many of the first team players are out of contract and won't be required by a new manager if that's the case solely because they have no stomach for important games when the chips are down, we've had probably about 6 or 7 games this season that have been mega important for different reasons and not closely turned up.
I for one will thank Archie for his time and efforts for us but now it's time for him and his backroom team to walk away. To finish lets get to the play-off and somehow f##k Livingston and start afresh next season, c'mon the jags.

He could easily leave us in the first division with less sellable assets than the team he inherited.

Having already sold 2 for £600K. But I guess they don’t count ?

At the moment McCarthy and Penrice probably aren’t sellable, but may well be in a couple of seasons. I don’t keep tabs on the players out on loan, but again there may be a gem hiding there.

Well they would be gone so I'm not sure how thats relevant to the potential squad. 

Look at some of the players who we had in that league who since went on to better themselves than that level in some way and have maintained it; Fox, O'Donnell, Sinclair, Paton, Bannigan, Lawless, Erskine, Doolan - all have went on to play consistently at this level.

I'm looking at the current squad who have deals and honestly not sure who would step up again. Penrice and McCarthy if they were to have good seasons. Spittal nope. Elliott maybe. Edwards I don't think so. Doolan and Erskine age is against them. Barton and Storey would be back to some League 2 mince down south. Keown, who knows? Cerny probably could even though hes well into his 30s.  Penrice and McCarthy are the two hopes. The rest are either older or have maxed their potential now and lack consistency in their game for me.

The core of contracted players is not good. We need about 10 players either way.

Edited by Firhill_Basin

2 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

Having already sold 2 for £600K. But I guess they don’t count ?

At the moment McCarthy and Penrice probably aren’t sellable, but may well be in a couple of seasons. I don’t keep tabs on the players out on loan, but again there may be a gem hiding there.

We'll take Penrice back for next season, wherever we are :D 

5 hours ago, Firhill_Basin said:

Well they would be gone so I'm not sure how thats relevant to the potential squad. 

Look at some of the players who we had in that league who since went on to better themselves than that level in some way and have maintained it; Fox, O'Donnell, Sinclair, Paton, Bannigan, Lawless, Erskine, Doolan - all have went on to play consistently at this level.

I'm looking at the current squad who have deals and honestly not sure who would step up again. Penrice and McCarthy if they were to have good seasons. Spittal nope. Elliott maybe. Edwards I don't think so. Doolan and Erskine age is against them. Barton and Storey would be back to some League 2 mince down south. Keown, who knows? Cerny probably could even though hes well into his 30s.  Penrice and McCarthy are the two hopes. The rest are either older or have maxed their potential now and lack consistency in their game for me.

The core of contracted players is not good. We need about 10 players either way.

I’d think Spittal would likely sell more for a fee than Storey given he’s scored well over 3 times the amount Storey has, while not even being a striker plus being the youngest regular starter ( penrice and McCarthy are younger but aren’t regular starters- though maybe they should have been)

13 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

He's a one trick pony. If kicking the ball twenty yards in front of you and running very fast is classed as a trick.

Does that make Lucas Atkins a magician?

Lucas Akins has managed to forge a very decent career for himself by doing that. An absolute nothing player, but he'll have made a fair whack of money from his very limited abilities. Fair play to him.

Miles Storey, on the other hand, is completely pointless. Or at least, is completely pointless when played as a winger, which we keep persisting on doing with him. We've never given him a chance through the middle, which is where he's played when he's had the small amount of success he's actually had in his career. In that sense, I don't think it's totally his fault that he's struggled with us. He's still been garbage, though.