The Partick Thistle thread

12 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Once we've got the new training center sorted (which is the most important development at the club in the nearly fifty years I've been supporting them), the club should focus on redeveloping the ground. The old stand isn't fit for purpose and the Bing is just an embarrassment. If we want to be an established top flight club - attracting top flight players - this needs to be the next priority.

Aye, I'm sure there's been loads of players have turned us down because of the bing.

When you arrive at Firhill and see the rotted barbed wire and weeds growing out the cracked brickwork and ancient turnstile signs on the entrance to the old south terrace, its pretty embarrassing IMO. Makes us look amateur as f**k. 

Edited by Snakebite

Aye, I'm sure there's been loads of players have turned us down because of the bing.

You think the ground as it is says, 'Serious professional set-up this. This is a club that belongs in the top flight, they'll be ambitious to win things this club...' Or, 'This is a club without much money behind them, playing at a level above what they're used to...' Yes, I do think the state of the ground impacts on who we persuade to sign.

Just now, Firhillista said:

You think the ground as it is says, 'Serious professional set-up this. This is a club that belongs in the top flight, they'll be ambitious to win things this club...' Or, 'This is a club without much money behind them, playing at a level above what they're used to...' Yes, I do think the state of the ground impacts on who we persuade to sign.

Cool. I think you're talking shite but there we go. I'd imagine the nick of the ground is one of the least important things for a player to consider when signing for a club. 

When you arrive at Firhill and see the rotted barbed wire and weeds growing out the cracked brickwork and ancient turnstile signs on the entrance to the old south terrace, its pretty embarrassing IMO. Makes us look amateur as f**k. 

The old turnstiles look good they need to clean them up and preserve them though.

The old turnstiles look good they need to clean them up and preserve them though.

Ian Maxwell: "Hello there agent of player we're interested in, we'd like to sign your player and offer him more money than you've been offered elsewhere"

Agent: "Sorry Ian but although you're in the Premier League and offering my client more money we've decided to sign for the likes of St MIrren because they have a training ground of their own and don't have a grassy hill behind one of their goals"

Much as I'd love to give Rangers the minimum allocation for the LC game they'd all just buy tickets for the home end as part of the money would go to them anyway and a huge LOL at anyone who thinks the police and stewards would chuck any of them out for sitting in the wrong end.

Only way to sell to home fans only would be to only allow season ticket holders in but in addition to pissing off every non ST holder, it's also impossible for the cup tie.

7 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Much as I'd love to give Rangers the minimum allocation for the LC game they'd all just buy tickets for the home end as part of the money would go to them anyway and a huge LOL at anyone who thinks the police and stewards would chuck any of them out for sitting in the wrong end.

Only way to sell to home fans only would be to only allow season ticket holders in but in addition to pissing off every non ST holder, it's also impossible for the cup tie.

I realise this would cost too much for the club but if Sevco fans bought tickets for the home end, in an ideal world we should do security checks as people are coming in, any with a Sevco top or scarf doesn't get in and we check their phone and see who they follow on social media except we shouldn't tell anyone because then they could delete all their Sevco shite off their phone or not bring it. This post is a load of s**te btw.

Ian Maxwell: "Hello there agent of player we're interested in, we'd like to sign your player and offer him more money than you've been offered elsewhere"
Agent: "Sorry Ian but although you're in the Premier League and offering my client more money we've decided to sign for the likes of St MIrren because they have a training ground of their own and don't have a grassy hill behind one of their goals"

Oh, sorry. Didn't realise we're only competing with Championship teams for players. We should save some money by giving up on the training ground idea, letting Firhill fall into disrepair and spend everything we have on attracting the international-level players we could then afford. (Who wouldn't be in the least concerned about training any old place and playing in a dump.)

6 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Oh, sorry. Didn't realise we're only competing with Championship teams for players. We should save some money by giving up on the training ground idea, letting Firhill fall into disrepair and spend everything we have on attracting the international-level players we could then afford. (Who wouldn't be in the least concerned about training any old place and playing in a dump.)

I used St Mirren as they are local, own their own training ground and have a newly built stadium with 4 stands. Replace St Mirren with Kilmarnock or Motherwell or Ross County and the general point that you're talking shite still stands.

Aye because international superstars are lining up to play for the rest of the league with 4 sided stadiums right enough.

Stop talking utter nonsense.

Is it not partly down to health and safety as well, given that some of the orcs can't be trusted to be in a mainly wooden stand?
Of course, even if so, money is the overriding reason.  It would be nice if we did do something like that, give them the whole away stand but no more.  Not only would I actually get to sit in the seat I bought, I'd also get to enjoy the seethe from those that didn't get tickets due to their lower allocation

What stand is "mainly wood"?

The only wood in our main stand is the floor the seats are screwed into.

Once we've got the new training center sorted (which is the most important development at the club in the nearly fifty years I've been supporting them), the club should focus on redeveloping the ground. The old stand isn't fit for purpose and the Bing is just an embarrassment. If we want to be an established top flight club - attracting top flight players - this needs to be the next priority.

The stand that is owned by a property company? You want the club to refurbish something they don't own?

When you say not fit for purpose, I take it you mean, good enough to get a safety certificate?

You sound like Neil Doncaster