The Partick Thistle thread

Oh wow, a giant Lisa Simpson. If the players don't run out to the Simpsons theme tune next season I'll be majorly disappointed.

ETA. Beaten to it by HJ.

Edited by Acon

St Johnstone and Inverness are good examples of what can be achieved in a few years. St Johnstone promoted in 08/09 and now an established side who are about to play in Europe for the 4th consecutive season. ICT promoted the following season, and have gone on to establish themselves as a top 6 side and win a Scottish Cup.

Neither team have a bigger support than us, nor will they have had a particularly larger budget at the time of their promotion. The one difference I can see between both these clubs and Partick Thistle right now, though, is that we are still unprofessional in the way we operate. We're getting better in this regard, but the office setup is amateur (very few paid staff), our marketing of the club/tickets/merchandise is essentially rubbish, and the communication between the club and supporters leaves a lot to be desired. Plenty of things to worry about in addition to what signings we might make, but we do seem to be slowly improving both on and off the pitch.

I would agree with Nightmare in most of the above in regards operations at the club. I think we are moving in the right direction, Ian Maxwell, Beattie and Archie are all working hard...no one would doubt that. The professionalism is growing every season we compete and the structure is improving, plus financially we are in a good position only spending within our means. It has to stay that way.

No doubt ICT and St Johnstone are clubs that we need to emulate. But one other major difference of Jags to these two teams is geography.

Both ICT and Saints have their own city to themselves in Perth and Inverness. They have a bigger community to pull from with no other club competition. We have Rangers, Celtic and a whole host of teams like us in the greater Glasgow area etc...pulling from the same city as Jags making it really tough The sad fact is that people still culturally and traditionally support the old firm teams and we will always be up against that. Our noisy neighbors have 10 times the support on a Saturday home game and thousands more wanting to watch on TV rather than support a family club locally like the Jags.

Perth and Inverness are both >100,000 in population and so ICT and Saints pull from their whole county and adjacent towns also. I know lads who live in Aviemore who support ICT and go to every game. 45 mins to an hour to the stadium and back every 2nd Saturday. How many other clubs are 45 mins to an hour from Firhill??? Lots unfortunately. Not to say we don't have loyal fans who travel an hour to Firhill but it becomes less so, should you live in Paisley and have St Mirren on your door step, or Lanark when Motherwell or Accies are closer.

This is the main issue and given our situation compared to Caley and Saints I think the philosophy of trying to invest in North Glasgow community, the Weir Thistle academy etc...We are making headway. I do think communication with the club to the fans is better than most think in comparison to others, but yes sometimes clubs do take a while to listen to supporters, especially at board level. We're not too bad though I think.

More than likely we will stay a yo-yo club but a club that will be more consistent in their relationship with the premier league. I don't think it will be nine years between promotions as long as the club stays consistent and allows the youth academy to the main source of players in the coming decades. This is our main investment and fruits will show the closer we get to 2020. It's by far and away the best decision the Jags made this decade.

Astounding stuff. It's like a representation of an infectious disease.

That's exactly what it's like. It's straight out of a biology secondary school book cartoon diagram.

Have to say in finding it very funny but also quite endearing, really taking to it. :lol:

Well played Thistle

Edited by 1320Lichtie

I think that Mascot is fucking brilliant - but given that a Mascot's main job (apart from high-fiving embarrassed looking players as they come out the tunnel) is to wander aimlessly round the edge of the pitch waving at children and mentally subnormal adult autograph hunters, I can't really see it being a hit...