The Partick Thistle thread

On 05/11/2022 at 16:49, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Yea think ill give firhill a miss for the rest of the month, has a very death spirally feel to it

Conceding from yet another fucking corner should really see at least one of mccall/scally/archie punted. Shouldnt be happening to a pro team, isnt getting any better and its costing us.

Keeper and an older head centre half ASAP pls, mitchell is fine if we're in control of the ball but ive zero confidence in him when its backs to the wall time

image.png.8367887fbf34f5e68d33229cc7088174.png

image.png.669b07dc57b2d7d41d87f04fbe54487d.png

6 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Has McCall been sacked yet?

Caldwell went after a 1-1 with Arbroath I think, so we may well be near the end in similar fashion.

edit: would imagine it'll be a mutually consent'ed job if he does go, but the coaching team patently aren't good enough to fix this so yeah, death spiral it is baby, wooooo

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I wonder if he regrets walking away from us now. New owner and senior management team in place since he left has improved us no end. It would mean him having less control so probably wouldn’t have liked it tbh.

He’d have left with Lachlan imo. Knew he had full run of the place with him and I doubt David Smith would allow that to happen. The appointment of Mathie would never have happened with McCall at the club, and he’s arguably been the best signing Ayr have made in years if we carry on the way we’ve been going.

f**k knows who we’ll end up with if he goes. Kevin Thomson seems the obvious candidate, but based on listening to him commentate I don’t know if I’d fancy that.

Edit: that’s not an argument for keeping McCall - we’re far better off for having brought him back, but it looks very much like he’s run out of ideas. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

We finished last season on 52 points, an average of 1.44 points per game. 

In the transfer window, we were one of the only teams in the division (if not the only team) to bring in a host of signings, a few of whom would have no doubt interested all other teams in the league and will be with us on decent contracts (Milne, McMillan, Dowds). 

I posted at the start of the season that 60 points should be an attainable target given the signings we made and the decision to retain a largish squad (despite the injuries/suspensions atm, we have at least two players for just about every position in the squad). That should really be the barest of bare minimums, not least because of the quality of the rest of the league.

If, out of nowhere, we got to the halfway point of the season having won our next 3 games, we would be on 29 points, still averaging less than required for that target. As it is, we are currently averaging 1.33 ppg, less than last season.

The number of players out just now is about McCall's only defence, but the dreadful defensive record and chucking points has been a constant regardless of what team we had on the pitch. Most damning for me is the goals conceded from set pieces - if someone put up a table of all professional leagues in the world and sorted by that statistic, I'd be stunned if we weren't the worst of the lot.

TTG.

30 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

We finished last season on 52 points, an average of 1.44 points per game. 

In the transfer window, we were one of the only teams in the division (if not the only team) to bring in a host of signings, a few of whom would have no doubt interested all other teams in the league and will be with us on decent contracts (Milne, McMillan, Dowds). 

I posted at the start of the season that 60 points should be an attainable target given the signings we made and the decision to retain a largish squad (despite the injuries/suspensions atm, we have at least two players for just about every position in the squad). That should really be the barest of bare minimums, not least because of the quality of the rest of the league.

If, out of nowhere, we got to the halfway point of the season having won our next 3 games, we would be on 29 points, still averaging less than required for that target. As it is, we are currently averaging 1.33 ppg, less than last season.

The number of players out just now is about McCall's only defence, but the dreadful defensive record and chucking points has been a constant regardless of what team we had on the pitch. Most damning for me is the goals conceded from set pieces - if someone put up a table of all professional leagues in the world and sorted by that statistic, I'd be stunned if we weren't the worst of the lot.

TTG.

A case of history repeating itself!

He’d have left with Lachlan imo. Knew he had full run of the place with him and I doubt David Smith would allow that to happen. The appointment of Mathie would never have happened with McCall at the club, and he’s arguably been the best signing Ayr have made in years if we carry on the way we’ve been going.
I can't think of two people who would be more polar opposites of each other than Mathie and McCall.

If I’m being kind, he has the Arbroath game, but anything bar a win and it’s jotters for McCall. Would give the caretaker/new manager a free punt against Kelty before back to league business.

Sad state of affairs after a promising start. We’ve got a good squad on paper, so we’ve been told, but it’s just been an utterly shite few weeks.

I cannot believe some jags fans are genuinely suggesting Danny Lennon.

he has just been sacked from a lower league one club.  I don’t think he came out that well from the Goodwillie carry on etc before that.

Would be a complete lazy appointment from the board who would harp on about this jags legend carry on- we are the only team he has ever wanted to manage time crap and certain sections our our support would just lap it up (especially the one’s suggesting him now)