The Partick Thistle thread

51 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

Is there a specific reason this has happened? As an outsider up until you played Aberdeen you appeared to be going great guns, losing heavily there is to be expected so why the collapse since?

Going largely by what ive read on p&b, have seen us in the flesh + on BBC scotland a fair few times this season too but:

Recurring problems with conceding all kinds of set pieces, must be averaging 1x a game by now if not more. Never comfortable with us defending corners or crossed in free kicks.

Us being unable to convert penalties has potentially cost us a few points

Players starting not fully fit (Tiffoney especially as fuctifano has highlighted, also Brownlie)

Players out injured (Holt a major loss)

Confidence (Akinola has been highlighted for this)

This is mainly from recent games and is mainly my opinion tbh, but Brian Graham looking... creaky in matches, alarmingly reminds me more and more of Chris Erskine towards the end of his time at the club

---

Its fixable, at least some of it, but it needs done fast. Things like changing penalty takers + a Steven Anderson type in January couldnt hurt.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

This is mainly from recent games and is mainly my opinion tbh, but Brian Graham looking... creaky in matches, alarmingly reminds me more and more of Chris Erskine towards the end of his time at the club

I don't remember Erskine averaging (around) a goal every two games at that point.

I dread to think where we'd be without his goals given how woeful our defence has been since day one and our midfield of late.

3 minutes ago, Plastic Whistle said:

I don't remember Erskine averaging (around) a goal every two games at that point.

I dread to think where we'd be without his goals given how woeful our defence has been since day one and our midfield of late.

Fair enough, and i suppose him missing out today means it's better to put him in the "playing while not fully fit" bracket.

Going largely by what ive read on p&b, have seen us in the flesh + on BBC scotland a fair few times this season too but:
Recurring problems with conceding all kinds of set pieces, must be averaging 1x a game by now if not more. Never comfortable with us defending corners or crossed in free kicks.
Players starting not fully fit (Tiffoney especially as fuctifano has highlighted, also Brownlie)
---
Its fixable, at least some of it, but it needs done fast. Things like changing penalty takers + a Steven Anderson type in January couldnt hurt.
If you don't have Muirhead taking pens, if he on the pitch that's crazy the guys' record for putting them away is unreal

42 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
2 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:
---

If you don't have Muirhead taking pens, if he on the pitch that's crazy the guys' record for putting them away is unreal

He literally missed the last one we had. 

Didn't see a minute of today but was not at all surprised to see the score. I didn't think about 3 weeks ago there would even be a position where McCall's job could be in danger this season but while I don't think he'll go now, the next month might be his last in charge, the Kelty game already had a feel of at least one of Cardle /O Ware / Higginbotham coming back to haunt us before the last 2 results, now it has the air of a coup de grace. 

McCall has done well recruitment wise  (excluding loans), even the guys that haven't worked out like Smith and Mullen had decent records and reputations at this level, but I feel like we had these horrible runs in his first spell as well in addition to the covid shortened season where we just couldn't get out of a tailspin. I'm also fairly sure we were the worst team in the league over the last quarter of last season and only the end of season gave us a chance to reset. 

46 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

We didn't concede in 45 mins. That's a massive leap.

Don't think we were trying that hard second half tbh . The game largely  petered out and for once we managed things pretty well.

With Cooper going to Rangers in the summer and now McGinlay linked with Fulham, Crystal Palace and West Ham it seems Thistle Weir either develops players too good for us to keep before they manage to play any decent number of games for the club or too shite to make the grade.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/aiden-mcginlay-attracts-fulham-transfer-28372745

Edited by Pie Of The Month

I also see we're hosting a Scotland under 19 game. So there's no groundsharing agreement but we're letting Rangers youths play their European games, hosting Scotland youth games and possibly let visiting national teams train ahead of Scotland games. 

Surprised we didn't go ahead and let the Denver Broncos use it for practice when the NFL was in the UK. 

50 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Never heard of him and no idea of his position, but f**k it - play this McGinley boy against Dundee. Unless it’s replacing McMillan, he’s unlikely to be a significant downgrade on recent performances anyway. 

I know you're joking but I think there's rules now about a minimum age a player can be to play in an spfl match and the he'll be too young, same as Cooper was last season. 

CONFIRMED: 148 unbroken seasons of Partick Thistle FC!

Our young club fell off the radar in 1876-77 but - at long, long last - we've found not one, but TWO first-team matches, both in the dying embers of that second season. The two games - away to Partick Ramblers & Smithfield - are now databased and the match hubs accessible via the 1876-77 page →

Since the 'Official History' book in excess of 200 games have been found (many in competitions) but our latest two finds are the most precious of all. Not only do they give us an unbroken history, our first-known players & scorers are now assigned as:

John Inglis →

Jack Beattie →

T. Brown →

Enjoy your history Jags fans, and spread the word!

Untitled.png