The Partick Thistle thread

The tone of the last statement is unbelievable. They give it big licks about their 1600 membership but if they haven't changed the trust deed, despite them being updated every five minutes, then the real figure is below that.
Assuming people are replying honestly then the 300 or so TJF members must be massive wedge if not a small majority of the beneficiaries and they've asked for that information.

All that chat about democracy and accountability and suddenly the only information they're going to provide is what they consider legally required.

I think the drawbridges are up for these guys and they've no intention to do anything but hunker down and do the share transfer regardless of the backlash.

Why would 2 members of the club board ask the chief executive to contact an agent who’s also a fan to work another fan who’s a good friend of the chair to set up this group of fans who no one knows to take the shares on behalf of the fans they have never communicated with?

Why have 2 of the group kept hidden?

How many of the 6 (or is it 8?) have business dealings with the club prior to this and stand to gain from their compliance and selling out the rest of the fan base?

I was at the Foundation EGM last night and listened carefully to the presentations from representatives from Hearts and St Mirren. Neither of them were in the position that we are in right now.

In both cases they had a club in imminent danger from disinterested or effectively bankrupt owners, and I suppose that the jeopardy introduced by that must have had a strong galvanising effect in terms of fan action.  In the Q&A session, one of the St Mirren folk said that not all of their fans were fully convinced by the prospect of fan ownership, but that it was scepticism around the survival of the fan bid rather than outright rejection.

Thistle of course have to find a different way to to mess things up.  After promising fan ownership (I thought this was brilliant back then BTW, despite some anxiety about the process), the club setting in place a Working Group, and a Foundation growing from that Working Group with supposed links back to the club via selected boardroom appointments of former Working Group members, it turns out that this wasn't what Colin Weir had in mind after all.  If only someone from Colin's company Three Black Cats had been involved in the club then we might have known that earlier (eye roll emoji).

Where we find ourselves now is like the kid who has been promised a real Thunderbirds Tracey Island, but who wakes up on Christmas morning to the Blue Peter version made from bog roll holders.  It's the same feeling of wanting to be grateful to the person who has taken the time to make the Blue Peter version, whilst resenting the fact that the real version was what we were expecting when the wrapping paper came off on 16 August.

The question is what we do with our Blue Peter fan ownership. Because despite all protest, we are not in charge and we can't go to the shops and buy our own real version. 

I still think that Three Black Cats need to be clearer about what Colin Weir meant. That would at least be a starting point to understanding how all of this mess can be unravelled. If he truly wanted the club to control the fan shares then fine, we need to deal with that and get on with supporting the team on the pitch. But where there's a void, folk fill in the blanks in a way of their choosing. We are long overdue some answers.

6 hours ago, archie guevara said:

I still think that Three Black Cats need to be clearer about what Colin Weir meant. 

Forgive my outsider's ignorance here, but... do they? 

There seems to be a huge amount of discussion around what Colin Weir did or didn't intend, but is that not basically irrelevant now? It's not like he was some sort of football club fan ownership doyen who had this great plan in place. He was just a guy who won the lottery. 

Unless there are specific, legal instructions that must be followed (which presumably there aren't, at least not clearly, or there wouldn't be all this weird chicanery), is it not better to just forget about what this dead guy did or didn't want and just focus on the realities of what can be achieved given the current circumstances. 

I've been following the whole affair quite closely, and it goes without saying that the Foundation have quite clearly put together by far the more suitable vehicle for fan ownership to be achieved at Firhill. 

I think it's a really interesting case study, because I think if you asked the owners/board at any non-fan-owned club in Scotland whether they favour fan ownership, the vast majority would say "Yes! But of course there's this..." and then they'll have their own tailored version of why it won't work. We've just heard something along those lines at the Rovers. But at Thistle we're seeing the first example where there's a really solid, popular fan movement that's finding those already in power unwilling to give it up, to any sort of degree. I don't imagine it'll be the last. 

Still, good news about the buses. 

I'm a nomad these days and don't get to firhill nearly as often as I'd like. 

But honestly, between Jacqui Low and these Trust chancers I find myself considering walking away for good. If the rest of the fan base just rollover and accept it I think that might be the final straw. Supporting a club like Thistle is done for community reasons much more than for sporting glory and if the Thistle community decides its OK with this sham I'd find it hard to go along with the crowd. 

26 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

But honestly, between Jacqui Low and these Trust chancers I find myself considering walking away for good. If the rest of the fan base just rollover and accept it I think that might be the final straw.

That’s not what’s happening, the Jags Foundation are continually increasing their membership and support. 

38 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

But honestly, between Jacqui Low and these Trust chancers I find myself considering walking away for good. If the rest of the fan base just rollover and accept it I think that might be the final straw. Supporting a club like Thistle is done for community reasons much more than for sporting glory and if the Thistle community decides its OK with this sham I'd find it hard to go along with the crowd. 

10 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

That’s not what’s happening, the Jags Foundation are continually increasing their membership and support. 

Aye, thankfully the Thistle community aren’t deciding it’s ok, with the exception of a few oddballs who have been taken in by Low’s “charm”.

On the anniversary of Britain's declaration of war against Germany, our latest 'Partickle' look back at one of the most tumultuous seasons in Partick Thistle's long and checkered history. There were dark skies, but bright spells too. Read about the return of the prodigal son and the emergence of a new wonderkid...

1939-40 – A Season For Remembrance →